Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

I was down also a few weeks back the difference in the two towns the buzz at night had a lovely meal in the yellow pepper and then visited a few bars.
    the choice of shops and yes the parking for free even we parked in the courtyard shopping centre off the Main Street for an hour on the Saturday and it was free and there is always available car parking not like sligo where the town centre parking is hit and miss
    Sad to say Sligo us miles behind

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Was in Letterkenny over the weekend, and what a contrast with Sligo. Saturday night the restaurants and pubs seemed to be really busy. Sunday and nearly all of the shops in the retail park area were open and despite the rain there was a decent crowd about. It is amazing to see what the impact of having free parking on a Sunday can have on a town. Much greater choice around as well. Not a lot open on in Sligo on a Sunday.

On saying that, Sligo needs more or better parking facilities around the town. The way Sligo is laid out at the moment, it would appear to be a bit of a squeeze to provide extra parking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Itzy wrote: »
    On saying that, Sligo needs more or better parking facilities around the town. The way Sligo is laid out at the moment, it would appear to be a bit of a squeeze to provide extra parking though.

Maybe if the parking rules were not so restrictive, ie, getting rid of the max stay for two hours and charging on a sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Maybe if the parking rules were not so restrictive, ie, getting rid of the max stay for two hours and charging on a sunday.

Totally agree, its the restrictions that cause the bother. There are ample car park spaces all around town. We just had 250,000 folk here 8 week ago for the Fleadh, they all got parked:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MonoRunner

There's a parking area behind the courthouse that runs the whole way up high street that the council won't let anybody use that's going completely to waste!

• Advertisement

In John Kent Sports yesterday, place looked so bare, very little stock, and the rear of the store (where the trainers once were) in darkness.

Looking like Stores in Sligo, and the centre of the town its self, continuing to struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Walked around town yesterday and there are still so many empty retail units about. One side of Grattan/Castle Street is almost completely empty. O'Connell Street has improved a bit over recent months. Johnston Court has 8/9 empty units. Does this mean that there will be 8/9 calendar shops in there coming up to the Xmas? Much the same number of empty units in the Quayside but the difference is that most of them are small units on that half level, the level which always reminds me of of the film "Being John Malkovich" if anyone knows what I am talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

HMV would bring Johnston Court back to life! The powers that be should approach them and see about reopening their old unit even if it was just for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

zorro2566 wrote: »
    HMV would bring Johnston Court back to life! The powers that be should approach them and see about reopening their old unit even if it was just for Christmas!

Won't happen. Elvery's are supposedly extending into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Anyone know when the new walkway up Knocnarea will be open? (Opposite Keanes Strandhill Centra) I haven't seen anything about it in the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Kettleson wrote: »
    Anyone know when the new walkway up Knocnarea will be open? (Opposite Keanes Strandhill Centra) I haven't seen anything about it in the press.

I hadn't heard anything, is that at the petrol station on the way in to Strandhill, before the rugby club?

Yes that's the one. It goes a fair bit up, half way at the moment. It looks like there might be plans to take it into the forest and perhaps further.

The Ben Bulben mountain walk at Gortarowey is currently being extended. Appears to be a new loop being added starting/ending at the car park.
    Also a new walk has been completed at the Sligo end of Glencar lake. Not sure if it's open to the public yet.

Anyone know where i might find cardboard picture frames in sligo. Have tried the Art Supplies Store, recently relocated from i think High or Market street to the old dublin road, and easons, but no luck. Any other suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Sligo Supply or any office supplier might have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Anyone know where i might find cardboard picture frames in sligo. Have tried the Art Supplies Store, recently relocated from i think High or Market street to the old dublin road, and easons, but no luck. Any other suggestions.

I had to order mine from Dublin, couldn't find them locally

magnumlady wrote: »
    I had to order mine from Dublin, couldn't find them locally

Do you have a link. Had no luck in places all ready checked here.

Could make own, but only need about half a dozen.

Do you have a link. Had no luck in places all ready checked here.

Could make own, but only need about half a dozen.

They are here http://tinyurl.com/md4frmv

They only sell 25 as the smallest quantity. I might have some spare if they are the right size.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Anybody know where in town I might find one of those automatic coin counting machines? I know there used to be one in Centra (beside the Showgrounds) but I've been told it is no longer there.

• Advertisement

Anybody know where in town I might find one of those automatic coin counting machines? I know there used to be one in Centra (beside the Showgrounds) but I've been told it is no longer there.

Cannings on the Pearse Road has one. SuperValu in Ballisodare does too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

magnumlady wrote: »
    Cannings on the Pearse Road has one. SuperValu in Ballisodare does too.

Thanks for that.

Thanks for that.

If you have the patience, you can use the self service machines in Tescos. No fee applied. I say patience, as the coin chute has been replaced by a slot, meaning instead of a handful at a time, you have to put in one coin at a time.

I'm guessing the slot replaced the chute for those exact reasons.

:(

If you want i'll count and bag them for 9% and a supply of bags. Some of them machines charge 9.5%

;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Thanks for that.

Would you not bring it to a bank instead of getting caught with a small fee to have it counted and changed.

Chuck it in the river and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

An interesting and quite sad short film - The Last Days of Peter Bergmann

The Last days of Peter Bergmann tells the story of a man calling himself Peter Bergmann who arrived in Sligo Town in the summer of 2009. Over his final three days, he went to great lengths to make sure that no one would ever know who he was or where he came from.

http://aeon.co/video/psychology/the-last-days-of-peter-bergmann-a-short-mystery-film/

Anyone know if Tom, of TomsTV is still operating. Need to get a Satellite Dish and a few connections checked, preferably before new year.

Have used before, and seen recommended here, but heard/read he had joined with someone else (could be totally wrong on that one), and the FB page has not been updated in nearly a year.

Gone. Try sat planet in greers yard Adelaide st

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Walked around town yesterday and there are still so many empty retail units about. One side of Grattan/Castle Street is almost completely empty. O'Connell Street has improved a bit over recent months. Johnston Court has 8/9 empty units. Does this mean that there will be 8/9 calendar shops in there coming up to the Xmas? Much the same number of empty units in the Quayside but the difference is that most of them are small units on that half level, the level which always reminds me of of the film "Being John Malkovich" if anyone knows what I am talking about.

Am I the only one who thinks that level should be made into a food-hall type of area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

catreyn wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks that level should be made into a food-hall type of area?

they've had loads of restaurants come and go in that part of the centre, also the Next side hasn't had much success with cafes either besides the greasy spoon type place that used to be mauds - coffee shops have opened and closed there too.

Advertisement