Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

marvin80 wrote: »
    An interesting and quite sad short film - The Last Days of Peter Bergmann

The Last days of Peter Bergmann tells the story of a man calling himself Peter Bergmann who arrived in Sligo Town in the summer of 2009. Over his final three days, he went to great lengths to make sure that no one would ever know who he was or where he came from.

Interesting story.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hi guys. Need a another recommendation. Looking for a certified electrician for some home improvement work. PM me if you know of someone.

Thanks.
    magnumlady wrote: »
    They are here http://tinyurl.com/md4frmv

They only sell 25 as the smallest quantity. I might have some spare if they are the right size.

Hi ML. Do you still have any of them frames, in no rush yet but might want about 8 12x16 at some point. Only place i have seen them so far was Woodies in Cavan.
    red sean wrote: »
    Gone. Try sat planet in greers yard Adelaide st

Thanks for the recommendation. Very quick, friendly, and informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Hi guys. Need a another recommendation. Looking for a certified ectriction for some home improvement work. PM me if you know of someone.

Thanks.

Hi ML. Do you still have any of them frames, in no rush yet but might want about 8 12x16 at some point. Only place i have seen them so far was Woodies in Cavan.

Thanks for the recommendation. Very quick, friendly, and informative.

Sorry I only have 5x7 or 8x10 sizes

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Bodidly

Hi Mint Sauce, was buying baking equipment out in Cliffoney in the Crafters Basket and think they might have cardboard picture frames. Might be worth giving them a call

Anyone know of any companies doing deliveries from IKEA to Sligo at reasonable rates? There is one item I found online but IKEA delivery to Sligo is €120, half the price of the unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Anyone know of any companies doing deliveries from IKEA to Sligo at reasonable rates? There is one item I found online but IKEA delivery to Sligo is €120, half the price of the unit.
    I have no idea what they charge but know they go up to IKEA regularly: https://www.facebook.com/movers.andmakers.7?fref=ts

What is going on in Penny's? I thought they were just knocking through to the small penny's on O' Connell St. but the Contractors seem to be setting up a compound on the Wine St. car park side.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Would the refurb of the entire store be finally happening

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

What is going on in Penny's? I thought they were just knocking through to the small penny's on O' Connell St. but the Contractors seem to be setting up a compound on the Wine St. car park side.
    sligono1 wrote: »
    Would the refurb of the entire store be finally happening

Yup, finally happening! I'm expecting great things, considering how much paraphernalia they've got :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

catreyn wrote: »
    Yup, finally happening! I'm expecting great things, considering how much paraphernalia they've got :D

About time too, that interior is seriously dated. As for Tesco ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Ah here, don't get me started!!! I live between Sligo and Carrick and tbh I'd do my food shop quicker in Carrick than I would in Sligo. The difference between Tesco Sligo and Tesco Carrick, the ease of access to Aldi in Carrick, the lack of a dodgy one-way system (yes, Carrick has a one-way system, no, it's not as dodgy as Sligo's), the car parking in Carrick no matter what supermarket you go to... I'll stop now, I'm depressing myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Last time tesco got a makeover was when they extended into where the Ballymote was that's years ago that long I think it was around the time Leitrim got the ESB in :):p

Will the re-paving of the footpaths ever be completed or has the money run out?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Out of curiosity, does anyone know a man by the nickname Stud. Referee around the Country for a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Who was the man taking photographs on Wine Street? (I'm not asking his name by the way, but I'm presuming he was from the Champion or the Weekender?)

Every entrant was stopped so that he could take photographs, significantly slowing the whole Parade down and very often to a complete standstill.

Kettleson wrote: »
    Who was the man taking photographs on Wine Street? (I'm not asking his name by the way, but I'm presuming he was from the Champion or the Weekender?)

Every entrant was stopped so that he could take photographs, significantly slowing the whole Parade down and very often to a complete standstill.

I was wondering that too. He's not from either paper and I've never seen him before.

magnumlady wrote: »
    I was wondering that too. He's not from either paper and I've never seen him before.

At one stage, he re-arranged a group of young children for the photograph. Took the photo and looked at it, shook his head and re-arranged them again, rather like Bailey doing the Royals...even after the re-arrangement, he was still not happy with the shot so he took it again.

He did this with the large groups. I was thinking, well if he's gotta job to do (officially appointed by the Parade Committee) then fair play to him. But if he was just out to take his own photos, he really should have been spoken to by the Garda. The parade stopped and moved at his behest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Had been wondering what the hold up was with the parade, that's ridiculous. Some awful big gaps between the groups.

I must have a look around and see if I can find the photos. The press photographers were all at the judging stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭shanec1928

ShazGV wrote: »
    Had been wondering what the hold up was with the parade, that's ridiculous. Some awful big gaps between the groups.

Well there was the usual hold up of everyone stopping at the judges platform for an age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I was down by the cinema/Quayside & there were some big gaps even before the judging stage (presuming that it's still down around the post office).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Anywhere that does Karaoke here? workmates have it in their heads that it will be "fun"

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Anywhere that does Karaoke here? workmates have it in their heads that it will be "fun"

DJ Scruffy Duffy was the King of Karaoke for years in the town. But I think Karaoke has all finished up in Sligo. If you check out where he's gigging and contact him via Facebook, he might well do something for you, he's a very obliging fella. I hear he's got a residency in Lillies now.

Oh no what a shame...I may just say its gone for good :D

haha thanks :pac:

Oh no what a shame...I may just say its gone for good :D

I hope this heals the hurt ur feelin right now...singalong, ease the pain. :D

haha thanks :pac:

Seriously though, check out if Scruffy Duffy is gigging the night you are going out. Def Facebook him, he'll sort you out with a great night for sure. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Great to see the Tidy Towns volunteers out at 8:30am this Sunday morning, in the rain, picking up their fellow citizens rubbish.

As much as I support community spirit and appreciate and thank the Volunteers for that, it occurred to me, are they doing work that the Co-Co should be doing? Saving the Co-Co money and potentially reducing the need for Co-Co employees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Kettleson wrote: »
    Great to see the Tidy Towns volunteers out at 8:30am this Sunday morning, in the rain, picking up their fellow citizens rubbish.

As much as I support community spirit and appreciate and thank the Volunteers for that, it occurred to me, are they doing work that the Co-Co should be doing? Saving the Co-Co money and potentially reducing the need for Co-Co employees?

I don't think so, I don't think you could realistically expect the Co-Co to cover every square inch of the town and surrounding areas for rubbish, you would expect the general public to play a part, as silly as it sounds if every single person disposed of their waste responsibly then we wouldn't need anyone to go out picking up rubbish.

They could do with laying out a few more bins around town though, I never drop litter but find myself wandering around town looking for somewhere proper to dispose of it, and you will find the bins full to the brim from time to time.

They could also spend their money on surfacing some of the streets and carparks, and maintaining the playgrounds and green areas, that'll be money well spent.

Advertisement