Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Thanks for the helpful perspective Rizzodun.

On the employee front, I hope there are no jobs put as risk, as this morning I seen 2 Volunteers with litter grabbers, where I regularly see just 1 diligent Co-Co employee regularly picking up litter.

I don't trust the Co-Co in that respect. Any opportunity to claw back squandered public finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Local businesses need to take more responsibility as well. Its disgraceful going through town around 7.30am and seeing all the rubbish scattered around in the road and pavement outside the takeaways.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Local businesses need to take more responsibility as well. Its disgraceful going through town around 7.30am and seeing all the rubbish scattered around in the road and pavement outside the takeaways.

Indeed, that's the sorta thing that can make goodwill run very dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

You can lead a horse to water etc. etc.

Do you think if there was plenty of bins outside those takeaways the people would use them?

Although, if it was my business personally I would be taking care of the vicinity around my building, maybe if every business did this collectively they could keep the town clean, maybe that's what you're getting at?

rizzodun wrote: »
    You can lead a horse to water etc. etc.

Do you think if there was plenty of bins outside those takeaways the people would use them?

Although, if it was my business personally I would be taking care of the vicinity around my building, maybe if every business did this collectively they could keep the town clean, maybe that's what you're getting at?[/QUOTE]

No, I'm not getting at businesses thing at all, although if not already, they should have a responsibility for rubbish generated from products purchased by their customers...I just think the Co-Co might in the near future be looking to save some public spending off the back of the Tidy Towns hard work.

• Advertisement

Kettleson wrote: »

No, I'm not getting at businesses thing at all, although if not already, they should have a responsibility for rubbish generated from products purchased by their customers...I just think the Co-Co might in the near future be looking to save some public spending off the back of the Tidy Towns hard work.

Aimed more at Mint Sauce, but yeah, I think we're all in agreement, they should take care of their own rubbish, but you can't expect them to pay people to walk the town looking for their own rubbish (i.e. branded takeaway bags etc.) so if every business sorted outside their primises then collectively they'd help keep the town clean, I can see some business who generate very little, to no customer waste taking exception to cleaning up after others, but the public who rubbish late at night while tanked up will be very hard to persuade to do it themselves.

Aimed more at Mint Sauce, but yeah, I think we're all in agreement, they should take care of their own rubbish, but you can't expect them to pay people to walk the town looking for their own rubbish (i.e. branded takeaway bags etc.) so if every business sorted outside their primises then collectively they'd help keep the town clean, I can see some business who generate very little, to no customer waste taking exception to cleaning up after others, but the public who rubbish late at night while tanked up will be very hard to persuade to do it themselves.

Would not expect them to clean the whole street, but at least outside their own premises and a few doors either side.

Patricks day, before 8am was a particular example, on way to work loads of centra branded packaging outside centra, the same for the 4 Lights. I used to work in a takeaway many years ago in another Irish town, when we finished up serving for the night we cleaned outside our own premises, and either side of the road two or three stores either side. It only took us 5 minutes or so, and made the street look that wee bit better for people out and about the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

This is kind of related but a couple of months back when we had the very cold weather and ice, I was surprised at how few businesses in the town took it upon themselves to clear the ice from directly in front of their businesses. There were a few that did but there were a fair few that didn't. I know that I tended to avoid the side of the street that was least cleared of ice, and therefore avoiding the shops on the icey side. I suppose I am trying to agree that business owners would better served making a bit more effort for the benefit of the town as a whole.

This is kind of related but a couple of months back when we had the very cold weather and ice, I was surprised at how few businesses in the town took it upon themselves to clear the ice from directly in front of their businesses. There were a few that did but there were a fair few that didn't. I know that I tended to avoid the side of the street that was least cleared of ice, and therefore avoiding the shops on the icey side. I suppose I am trying to agree that business owners would better served making a bit more effort for the benefit of the town as a whole.

The problem with that is, is if they attempt to clear it, the shop owner couod be liable if someone slips. If they left alone and someone slips, then its an act of god or force of nature.

Would not expect them to clean the whole street, but at least outside their own premises and a few doors either side.

Patricks day, before 8am was a particular example, on way to work loads of centra branded packaging outside centra, the same for the 4 Lights. I used to work in a takeaway many years ago in another Irish town, when we finished up serving for the night we cleaned outside our own premises, and either side of the road two or three stores either side. It only took us 5 minutes or so, and made the street look that wee bit better for people out and about the next morning.

But there's the problem, I can honestly see someone at the top of O'Connell st (and I've seen 4 lights wrappers make it that far) making a big fuss over having to clean up 'their' mess way up there, and complain that "my business doesn't generate waste, why should I clean up others?"

I honestly can't see the fast food outlets doing laps of the town picking up their rubbish either.

Of course you are dead right, if every business just looked after their corner collectively it would be clean, but you just know in this town people will have problems with that, when their businesses aren't making the rubbish in the first place.

McDonalds town centre stores have a system (at least they did have a few years back) of a litter patrol, 20 metres each direction from the store they pick up litter, any litter, even if it isn't McDonalds branded, that system works well for them, in a company that is all about their image and impression before you even get to the counter.

• Advertisement

But there's the problem, I can honestly see someone at the top of O'Connell st (and I've seen 4 lights wrappers make it that far) making a big fuss over having to clean up 'their' mess way up there, and complain that "my business doesn't generate waste, why should I clean up others?"

I honestly can't see the fast food outlets doing laps of the town picking up their rubbish either.

Of course you are dead right, if every business just looked after their corner collectively it would be clean, but you just know in this town people will have problems with that, when their businesses aren't making the rubbish in the first place.

McDonalds town centre stores have a system (at least they did have a few years back) of a litter patrol, 20 metres each direction from the store they pick up litter, any litter, even if it isn't McDonalds branded, that system works well for them, in a company that is all about their image and impression before you even get to the counter.

i've 4lights packaging half way up the pearse road, and whilst I would not expect them to pick up there wrappers from as the top of OConnell St (do you mean the GPO side?), I would (at least their own wrappers) as far as the corners of 3/O2, The source, EBS, Jennys Pub, and maybe a few doors further if they seen a bundle of wrappers, as this where the Majority of their rubish would expect to be dropped. As too, I would expect 'Best' to clean up their waste a few doors either side their premises as well. Especially durring the Fri/Sat/Sun night rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

In fairness to the 4 lanterns or any other takeaway, the problem is caused by their ignorant customers.
    Maybe it's time for a "litter police" similar to traffic wardens.

red sean wrote: »
    In fairness to the 4 lanterns or any other takeaway, the problem is caused by their ignorant customers.
    Maybe it's time for a "litter police" similar to traffic wardens.

Unfortunately you will have a hard time to tell drunken customers to put their rubbish in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Unfortunately you will have a hard time to tell drunken customers to put their rubbish in the bin.

Yeah, all two bins in the near vicinity which are constantly full.

Chipper staff generally go out after closing cleaning up their rubbish. round the 4 lights that is (or should I say that place on the street that has more than 3 but less than 5 lighting devices in their name just so I don't get in trouble for naming names here)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 keysersoze1

anyone know what time the triathlon is starting at tomorrow can't seem to see a start time on their Facebook page.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Does anyone know of anywhere hiring in Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Mugatuu wrote: »

OPENING SOON - RECRUITING NOW for various Positions
    Send your CV and a Cover Letter to gm@riversidesligo.ie

Riverside Hotel...good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Guys, Decent butcher? I've seen three so far (up by larkhill..and two in town) and from the outside they look like they haven't had a facelift in about 20 yrs so i'm a bit put off! Buuuuuut if you recommend me one i'm all for it!
    thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Roger00

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Guys, Decent butcher? I've seen three so far (up by larkhill..and two in town) and from the outside they look like they haven't had a facelift in about 20 yrs so i'm a bit put off! Buuuuuut if you recommend me one i'm all for it!
    thanks in advance!

Clarkes butchers in Grattan Street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Mugatuu wrote: »

Go to 5th on Teelings Facebook page they have an ad looking for Staff for The Draft House opening soon in Strandhill (ex Bella Vista).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭scarlet43

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    thanks in advance!

The one you refer to at top of Larkhill Road is excellent - Eamon's Meat - fab customer service and their meat is very good - would highly recommend their burgers - place might need a facelift, but wouldn't go anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Sound, I didnt really want to judge a book by its cover but you have to ask these things :D
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Will anywhere in town be showing the boxing on Saturday night/Sunday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Is it just me or is it very difficult to get a summer job in Sligo nowadays? Had my first waitressing job at 15 and my 18 year old brother is getting turned away at every door he knocks on. He doesn't have 2+ years experience but has worked in youth groups and so on - its so disheartening for him as he's trying to save for college too.

Did he try the dairies? They used to be good for summer work

Anyone know the opening hours for FatCat Tattoo. Everytime I call they are closed, website appears to be down, and no details on FB page.

Zymurgist wrote: »
    Did he try the dairies? They used to be good for summer work

Dairies are gone. Closed up shop and moved to kilygordon

Anyone know the opening hours for FatCat Tattoo. Everytime I call they are closed, website appears to be down, and no details on FB page.

Obvious question is obvious, but did you send him a message?

Dairies are gone. Closed up shop and moved to kilygordon

The dairies out the strand hill road?? When did that happen?

• Advertisement

Obvious question is obvious, but did you send him a message?

Hmmmmmmmm.....

:o

Advertisement