Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

I wonder why Tesco hasn't looked at taking over the old Aware shop. Is it even to let or is it with the banks? I thought it would have been an ideal unit for Tescos to secure, as a short/medium term solution to their lack space. It would give them street frontage as well as some badly needed extra space. It would be a slight improvement on the place. I know Tesco lost money last year and aren't developing but I think it would make a lot of sense, anyone agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭samsid

Doubt it will happen as Tesco Sligo are currently seeking voluntary redundancies, 21 in total

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Does it seem strange there are no pedestrian crossing lights at the Wine St/Wine St car park junction? A lot of people cross there. I know there are crossing lights across Wine St but not across the entrance to the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Does anyone know the story with O'Connor Bros? It hasn't been open all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

magnumlady wrote: »
    Does anyone know the story with O'Connor Bros? It hasn't been open all week.

Heard a rumour it had closed for good::(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Does it seem strange there are no pedestrian crossing lights at the Wine St/Wine St car park junction? A lot of people cross there. I know there are crossing lights across Wine St but not across the entrance to the car park.

I only noticed this a few weeks ago, when I had three young nephews along with me. Almost shows how much we really pay attention to them, crossing lights that is.

Can anyone tell me what is the best day of the week to buy fruit and veg in Tesco/Dunnes? When do they get their deliveries? Sick of going looking for some in particular only to find the shelves empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

I don't do Tesco, just Dunnes and found if you get in as early as possible on any given day, the shelves are usually full. I go for 8:30am and another bonus is that it's never busy at that time, so you can fly round and get out really quickly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

What does everyone think about the new mural coming into Sligo on the inner relief road, on the junction of Nazareth house/Cathedral? Think its depicting Easter 1916 Rising.?

I think the murals themselves are excellent in terms of 'art work' but does anyone else think its gone a bit too much... I feel its like 'You are now entering FREE Derry, or gives off that sort of feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Carson10 wrote: »
    What does everyone think about the new mural coming into Sligo on the inner relief road, on the junction of Nazareth house/Cathedral? Think its depicting Easter 1916 Rising.?

I think the murals themselves are excellent in terms of 'art work' but does anyone else think its gone a bit too much... I feel its like 'You are now entering FREE Derry, or gives off that sort of feeling.

I guess it's no coincidence given the building it was painted on. It is excellent work though, shame about the cluster of road-signs blocking part of it. I think the initiative of distributing flags to primary schools is great, civic pride is a great thing, but I hate the fact that having a flag outside the house would probably lend people to believe I supported Sinn Féin.

Republicans make it hard to be a nationlist.

• Advertisement

There is a guy in Town that is convinced I am following him. He approached me a few months ago drunk and accused me of being a Garda, and having him "under surveillance".

Today he approached me again, stood toe to toe with me almost nose to nose, then walked away.

I went to the Garda and they said that they knew who I was talking about and that he goes around accusing people of spying on him.

He's about 5' 6", brown hair, kinda scruffy and has an English accent.

Please PM me if anyone knows who this guy is and what he is all about (Please don't post any names).

Carson10 wrote: »

Weren't some of the members of The Rising from Sligo and Leitrim, and isn't Sligo Train station named after one. Considering 1916 is literally around the corner, and with the upcoming celebrations, I think its kinda appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

I think it's a magnificent piece of art work. Well done to the talented who produced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

whatswhat wrote: »
    I think it's a magnificent piece of art work. Well done to the talented who produced it.

Same guys who did the Countess Markievicz mural earlier this summer, blowdesigns.com

Fantastic work, like someone said earlier, shame about all the road signs :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Can you pay to park in Wolfe Tone Street all day?

Heading off to Dublin on the train and leaving the car parked up.

(Or where nearest all day parking?)

Thanks

Kettleson wrote: »
    Can you pay to park in Wolfe Tone Street all day?

Heading off to Dublin on the train and leaving the car parked up.

(Or where nearest all day parking?)

Thanks

Train Station carpark? Think nearly all street parking is two hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Train Station carpark? Think nearly all street parking is two hours.

Doh! never thought of there...however nearly always 100% full when I've dropped off there.

Worth trying, but a long shot I'd be guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

whatswhat wrote: »

Absolutely agree. I think that kind of street art is beautiful and really brightens up the town. If we could cover every suitable wall or abandoned building with it, it would be money well spent imo.

Is there anyone doing a regular delivery service from IKEA to Sligo? I want to get a couple of items online but they end up being very expensive if you add to the price, the €120 charge for delivery to Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

White van man or man with a van or something like that in town does regular ikea trips, so the side of his van says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

That doesn't sound unreasonable for a trip to dublin and back in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Was in TK MAXX yesterday, good grief it was like the place had been looted, very little in it. You'd swear everyone in Sligo decided to do their Christmas shopping there..... So it's everyone else's fault I had to do my last minute Christmas shopping elsewhere and actually walk around the shops.....

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Was in TK MAXX yesterday, good grief it was like the place had been looted, very little in it. You'd swear everyone in Sligo decided to do their Christmas shopping there..... So it's everyone else's fault I had to do my last minute Christmas shopping elsewhere and actually walk around the shops.....

It was grand in there today - unlike Tesco which was a battlefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

magnumlady wrote: »
    It was grand in there today - unlike Tesco which was a battlefield.

Tesco is a battlefield at the best of times :D TK Maxx do their stocktake mid-January or thereabouts so don't expect it to fill up any time soon...

Does anyone know the story with the car park behind The Quayside? It was €3 a day to park but the barriers seem to be up all the time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

Can anyone recommend a good crèche in the Strandhill Rd/Maugheraboy area of town please pm me. We have a 5 month old and need to look into finding one for her. I am aware of the one on the 1st Sea Rd but want to consider all options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Why were the events and restaurant thread un-stickied?

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Why were the events and restaurant thread un-stickied?

The events thread was more or less dead and no one had posted in the restaurant thread for a while. I can sticky them again if people like but it would be nice to see more people posting in them - especially the events or I can't see the point in that being stickied.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Yabazza

Anyone know anything about the car that was burnt in Heather View the other night? Deliberate or no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Yabazza wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about the car that was burnt in Heather View the other night? Deliberate or no?

Old Heatherview, or up by Markievicz Heights? I know there was one burned on Cairns Road about two years ago which appeared to be deliberate.

Advertisement