Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Yabazza

Yea off Markievicz Heights, our neighbour's car was burnt about 5am Monday morning. That's the second one in the last couple of months. I got an awful shock; thought the house was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

I am told that there is a pathway through a field or something like that between the Strandhill Rd and Finiskillen. Does anyone know where on the Strandhill Rd or other road it starts and whereabouts in Finiskillen it finishes?h

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I am told that there is a pathway through a field or something like that between the Strandhill Rd and Finiskillen. Does anyone know where on the Strandhill Rd or other road it starts and whereabouts in Finiskillen it finishes?h
    Like the first sea road into Finisklin or second sea road down by Aylesbury Park?

No more like Farmhill/Larkhill Rd or maybe even closer to town. I was told it is just a pathway made by the public, but it means not having to walk to First Sea Rd or to the inner relief road to get to Finiskillen.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

From what I remember there's a pathway donw at Farmhill, at the bottom of the hill to the left across a green area. If it's still there it would bring you out towards the end of the road here Steifel is. There's always the entrance in Rathedmond which brings you uo to Eircom.

• Advertisement

From what I remember there's a pathway donw at Farmhill, at the bottom of the hill to the left across a green area. If it's still there it would bring you out towards the end of the road here Steifel is. There's always the entrance in Rathedmond which brings you uo to Eircom.

Thanks for that. Couldn't locate on Google Maps so I'll just take a trip down there one of the days. At least now I have a general idea where I am supposed to be looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Digiby

Thanks for that. Couldn't locate on Google Maps so I'll just take a trip down there one of the days. At least now I have a general idea where I am supposed to be looking.

This is the trail that brings you into Finisklin.

I will warn you though that the green area there is like a swamp this time of year with all the rain. It doesn't take long to walk through there but unless you have some boots on or walk gingerly across the area you can get covered in muddy water. It's generally fine in the Spring and summer when the ground firms up. Some people go through on bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Digiby wrote: »
    This is the trail that brings you into Finisklin.

I will warn you though that the green area there is like a swamp this time of year with all the rain. It doesn't take long to walk through there but unless you have some boots on or walk gingerly across the area you can get covered in muddy water. It's generally fine in the Spring and summer when the ground firms up. Some people go through on bikes.

Must try that out, I'm often on the mountain bike around there having to go the long way round to get home. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Anyone know whats happening with the Antique Store on Teeling St across from the Garda Barricks. Have called on them 3 times in the last couple weeks, closed every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I see there's an Indian buffet opened up in the evenings in the Rooftop Restaurant. All you can eat for a tenner.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

magnumlady wrote: »
    I see there's an Indian buffet opened up in the evenings in the Rooftop Restaurant. All you can eat for a tenner.

Oh baby! I prefer Indian to Chinese, this is great news

200w.gif

Did most of Sligo forget to change their clocks last night. Nearly everywhere closed. Feel for the poor tourists wondering around confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

I have to say that the new paving on Wine St looks really well. It greatly improves the appearance of the street, but that leads to to question, what went wrong with the repaving on Castle St? Why is it like standing on a wobble board in places? Did the same people carry out both jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

No diffrent contractors but I'd say the fact castle Street was a rush job to get it done before the fleadh would have been a big reason.butbid see how things settle under.rhis new paving settlement plays a part too

sligono1 wrote: »
    No diffrent contractors but I'd say the fact castle Street was a rush job to get it done before the fleadh would have been a big reason.butbid see how things settle under.rhis new paving settlement plays a part too

Plus parts of Castle Street were lifted again for works. Astonishing that different contractors cant time their work to be done at the same time.

Speaking of which, have seen a few markings along the kerb on OConnell Street. Are they planning on more works! Wondering when they are going to spend the promised money on improvements.

How would that be the contractors fault.thats solely the councils fault they schedule the works

Speaking of improvements the tesco car park the surface is poor potholes all over the place and on a wet day water every where

Speaking of improvements the tesco car park the surface is poor potholes all over the place and on a wet day water every where

There are that many holes in the tarmac it reminds me of the roads in Cambodia, only their potholes aren't filled with rain water most of the time.

How would that be the contractors fault.thats solely the councils fault they schedule the works

Would have thought the council and the contractors could all sit down together, and dig up the road once, complete all the various works, and then only open again for emergencies, rather than open the road half a dozen times.

Its like the surface of the bloody moon. Occasionally I might require a shopping trolly, amd I can feel the vibrations though my body for the rest of the day afterwards.

• Advertisement

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Would have thought the council and the contractors could all sit down together, and dig up the road once, complete all the various works, and then only open again for emergencies, rather than open the road half a dozen times.

Don't think it works like that with councils that would take forward thinking and sure most civil servants only look forward to their summer holidays.

Contractors tender for a particular job get a start date and do what the price

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Its like the surface of the bloody moon. Occasionally I might require a shopping trolly, amd I can feel the vibrations though my body for the rest of the day afterwards.

Looks so bad for the town and is it only me but are the the smallest car parking space anywhere I have two dents either side of my car from car doors been opened out against my car all too tight

Looks so bad for the town and is it only me but are the the smallest car parking space anywhere I have two dents either side of my car from car doors been opened out against my car all too tight

I only park there if I know i'm going to require a trolley, and thats only been a couple of times so far this year, and even then I will park in the free section beside Pennys. Other wise I find a space up a against a wall or between a piller and a wall in the Quayside.

Surely though it's the responsibility of the Council to ensure that every effort is made to obtain a certain level of workmanship for the best price. In the case of the paving on Castle St I don't think they obtained an acceptable standard of workmanship, especially as they are spending public money. Also, the fact that the Fleadh was coming close should not have been a factor.

Yes it's the councils call on a good or bad job but there public servants they have a great track record of wasting public money.
    When that job in Castle Street was on you would regularly see the council engineers present but it does seem they don't be too clued in.

This is going back a few years but it popped into my head the other day while walk through Wine St car park. I thought I recalled that when the planning permission for Johnson's Court was granted it was on condition that a capital contribution was paid in order for the Council to provide parking, because it did not have its own. Am I correct in thinking this and if so where were these spaces provided? Hopefully it wasn't just the 30 or so on Adelaide St.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Anybody have any information on what was happening on Hughes bridge this evening? ambulance and fire brigade parked up on the eastern side of the bridge with someone putting on a harness. Lots of rubbernecking going on so traffic was ridiculous. A lot of onlookers on Markievicz road too. Presume someboody fell in further up the river and ended up down that far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Anybody have any information on what was happening on Hughes bridge this evening? ambulance and fire brigade parked up on the eastern side of the bridge with someone putting on a harness. Lots of rubbernecking going on so traffic was ridiculous. A lot of onlookers on Markievicz road too. Presume someboody fell in further up the river and ended up down that far?

Someone went into the river. They were rescued and brought by ambulance to hospital.

Hopefully they are okay.

Who do you contact at the CoCo about the state of the roads and carparks in the town? Surface of Wine Street Car park, is quite possibly one of the worse I have encountered, if I had not bought milkshake in Tescos, I certainly went home with some pushing my trolley through it this evening. The junction of Carins Road and Pearse Road. How is there not more damage to cars with the ruts and potholes through it. They have resurfaced other junctions along the Pearse Road, whens that one due.

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

You could contact the Councillors who promised you the sun,moon and stars last year!
    I'd say you need to ring county hall and get put through to the roads dept.

Advertisement