Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

johnire wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. It's a nightmare turning right there onto the Cairns Road.

And what is it with that light sequence. The green arrow only seems to come on every two changes, between that, its just trying to dart across between traffic coming towards you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    And what is it with that light sequence. The green arrow only seems to come on every two changes, between that, its just trying to dart across between traffic coming towards you.

Yes, there's clear potential for an accident when you are waiting to turn right onto Cairns Road, but can't because of oncoming traffic. Sometimes the light turns red to traffic going straight on to Carraroe, but the filter arrow for traffic on the inside left lane remains on. At the same time, *your* light for traffic coming from Carraroe turns red and you're still in the middle of the junction. Naturally you will take your chance then to dart across. However, a large vehicle such as a van stopped on the outside lane can block the view of traffic coming on the inside.

I emailed the council about it some time ago, must chase them about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Has anyone else noticed that there are very few bins on the streets in the centre of Town?

2 outside Tohers
    1 outside the main Post Office
    2 on O'Connell St
    0 on Wine St
    0 on Grattan St/Castle St

I pass the street cleaners on the way to work in the mornings, and in fairness they do a good job. It just seems strange that a town the size of Sligo has so few bins in its centre.

So Abbotts will be creating a Medical Nutrition Device Centre of Excellence in the new IDA Advanced Technology building in Finiskiln. Are there going to be additional jobs created in Sligo or is it just relocating existing jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

So Abbotts will be creating a Medical Nutrition Device Centre of Excellence in the new IDA Advanced Technology building in Finiskiln. Are there going to be additional jobs created in Sligo or is it just relocating existing jobs?

Moving mostly from balytivnan

• Advertisement

Moving mostly from balytivnan

I thought the purpose of this Advanced Technology building was to attract new jobs into Sligo. Am I right in saying that the IDA spent a few million on this building?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

I thought the purpose of this Advanced Technology building was to attract new jobs into Sligo. Am I right in saying that the IDA spent a few million on this building?

Would Abbotts have gone somewhere else...the lease was up in Ballytivnan I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I understand Abbott were only leasing part of the Ballytivnan factory from Abbvie of late so had to move elsewhere as they are concentrating on the medical nutrition device market. Abbvie required the whole factory space in order to expand their operation.

prodsc wrote: »
    Would Abbotts have gone somewhere else...the lease was up in Ballytivnan I believe

I was wondering that myself, that letting them move into that building was a way of keeping those jobs in Sligo. So the net result of all this is that there will probably be very few new jobs created.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

But is it not a good thing all the same the present jobs are secured

• Advertisement

sligono1 wrote: »
    But is it not a good thing all the same the present jobs are secured

For sure it is. It's just a pity that considering the money the IDA paid to construct that building, with the aim of attracting new companies and additional jobs into Sligo, very few might actually be created. That is assuming that Abbotts are just relocating, maybe they are creating new jobs.

What it cost to construct that building is a tiny percentage of the money Abbott has generated for the local economy in the 40+ years they have been here.
    Also, Abbvie may well be increasing their workforce when they take over the entire Ballytivnan facility so jobs may be created indirectly.

red sean wrote: »
    What it cost to construct that building is a tiny percentage of the money Abbott has generated for the local economy in the 40+ years they have been here.
    Also, Abbvie may well be increasing their workforce when they take over the entire Ballytivnan facility so jobs may be created indirectly.

I do hope that both Abbotts and Abbvie do increase their workforce I didn't say otherwise.

http://m.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/new-factory-being-built-in-finisklin-will-be-earmarked-for-foreign-investment-34597057.html

Is there a possibility the IDA will invest further with similar type projects in Sligo in order to attract the foreign investment mentioned in the article?

Ruts in the road seem to be getting deeper around the Pearse Rd Carins Hill junction. Who do we contact at the CoCo in order to see what they are doing? A bad winter this year will only make it worse.

Has anyone else noticed that there are very few bins on the streets in the centre of Town?

2 outside Tohers
    1 outside the main Post Office
    2 on O'Connell St
    0 on Wine St
    0 on Grattan St/Castle St

I pass the street cleaners on the way to work in the mornings, and in fairness they do a good job. It just seems strange that a town the size of Sligo has so few bins in its centre.

Definitely needs more. Coca Cola were doing a promotion on OConnell St the other morning, giving out free cans of Zero. Carrying a can around for awhile trying to find a bin to out it in. Eventually seen oke at the junction of Castle/Gratton/High St.

Driving through town early on a Saturday or Sunday morning also highlights this when you see the amount of empty takeaway bags/wrappers. Not very sightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Driving through town early on a Saturday or Sunday morning also highlights this when you see the amount of empty takeaway bags/wrappers. Not very sightly.

Having bins on the street isn't going to stop the pissheads of a Saturday night

Having bins on the street isn't going to stop the pissheads of a Saturday night

True, might even only encourage other anti social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Ruts in the road seem to be getting deeper around the Pearse Rd Carins Hill junction. Who do we contact at the CoCo in order to see what they are doing? A bad winter this year will only make it worse.

http://www.sligococo.ie/ContactUs/

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭hawkeyethenoo

anyone know any of the factories taking on production/general operatives?

anyone know any of the factories taking on production/general operatives?
    They seem to use recruitment companies afaik. Try Collins McNicholas in JFK Parade.

• Advertisement

After years of driving down a bumpy Upper Pearse Road, imagine my delight when I seen signs advertising resurfacing work to commence today. Have driven on a a few times today already, and not a council worker, van, or contractor in sight!

Add to this the current state of Thomas and Teeling Street, and that IW are going to REOPEN O'Connell Street, it makes my wonder if the CoCo are going to try and p1ss of every type of road user, and have works commenced on all at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

After years of driving down a bumpy Upper Pearse Road, imagine my delight when I seen signs advertising resurfacing work to commence today. Have driven on a a few times today already, and not a council worker, van, or contractor in sight!

Add to this the current state of Thomas and Teeling Street, and that IW are going to REOPEN O'Connell Street, it makes my wonder if the CoCo are going to try and p1ss of every type of road user, and have works commenced on all at once.

I think I remember reading last year that they tried to get IW to do their works at the same time as all the other upgrades and stuff on O Connell St were going on and IW refused to bring their plans forward.

I think I remember reading last year that they tried to get IW to do their works at the same time as all the other upgrades and stuff on O Connell St were going on and IW refused to bring their plans forward.

In relation to OConnell Street, my understanding was the improvement works would be done after IW had done their works. Read somewhere recently that they (IW) will recommencing work in next month or two after it was ended abruptly. I personally thought they were all done.

In relation to Teeling and Thomas Street apparently the CoCo are completing the works. I thought this would have been down to IW to leave it the way they left it, unless the CoCo are planing a different finish that we don't know about.

As for Upper Pearse Road, caught a glimpse of a sign this evening, stating work is to be carried out 7pm to 7am each night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

And again we have f.... road to Dromahair flooded, road closed, first sign after going downhill from Carraroe(bit late).

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Pmoylan

In relation to OConnell Street, my understanding was the improvement works would be done after IW had done their works. Read somewhere recently that they (IW) will recommencing work in next month or two after it was ended abruptly. I personally thought they were all done.

In relation to Teeling and Thomas Street apparently the CoCo are completing the works. I thought this would have been down to IW to leave it the way they left it, unless the CoCo are planing a different finish that we don't know about.

As for Upper Pearse Road, caught a glimpse of a sign this evening, stating work is to be carried out 7pm to 7am each night.

The CoCo are putting in new road markings on the junction to Chapel Street, having a space to turn right to old market street and right to Chapel Street from pearse Road, separate from the flow of traffic. Think this is to stop cars blasting up the wrong side of the road coming from Teeling Street to go up old Market Street.

Will the road works ever end in town. Nightmare trying to get across it this afternoon, double the usual time, who in the wisdom at the Coco approved several projects to be all done at once. Fortunately though, my alloys and shocks are no longer getting a beating on the Upper Pearse Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

Can you drive from Abbey Street straight over to Castle Street now? I see the signage has changed

Seriously. to get from the MCR, to Upper Pearse Road, you know have to go back towards town due to all the roadworks, and de tours.

Why did the CoCo allow IW to dig up half the roads in town AFTER schools reopened and people returned from their holidays. Just waiting for them to dig up the newly resurfaced Upper Pearse Road again, and leave it not far off it was before.

At the same time, I seen the contractors arrive again this morning on OConnell Street.

:mad:

I see Jimmy Carr is coming to play in the IT arena next year and Reginald D Hunter is coming to the Hawkswell later this month. Anyone go to the last RD Hunter gig in the Hawkswell a couple of years. Was disappointed to miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I see Jimmy Carr is coming to play in the IT arena next year and Reginald D Hunter is coming to the Hawkswell later this month. Anyone go to the last RD Hunter gig in the Hawkswell a couple of years. Was disappointed to miss it.
    Yeah, good to see to be fair. John Bishop also played Carrick-On-Shannon earlier this year.

Saw Reg in the Hawkswell last time and he was great. Doubt I'll go this time around but never know.. seems to be a fair few tickets last time I checked.

Advertisement