Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing Belt on a Laguna

Options
  • 01-08-2008 1:33pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know the recommended timing belt change on a 1.6l petrol laguna? (2003 model)

Renault say 40k (Miles) but other sources say 55k so Im not sure when to do it.

Web searches havent turned up much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

faceman wrote: »
    Does anyone know the recommended timing belt change on a 1.6l petrol laguna? (2003 model)

The danger here is that you bring it in for the timing belt and the mechanic tells you its a lost cause and you never get it back ;)

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=7336

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

faceman wrote: »

If your Renault dealer says its 40K it is 40K and don't listen to what back street mechanics will tell you. The timing belt is extremely important and must be done right, Many unauthorised garages may be cheaper but they will take short cuts and use bogus parts.

I would always take my car to the main dealer for a timing belt replacement they have the correct tools, training and will also look into other matters when doing this job such as the water pump. They will also guarantee their work which will give you peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Think you answered your own question there when you say renault recommend 40k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭Soarer

The timing belt went in our Megane after 52k miles, so I err on the side of caution and go with the 40k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Speedy007

50k miles or 5 years so if its 2003 car then its due anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

The problem is that Renault IRELAND say the belt should be changed every 70000 km ( 45000 miles approx) but Renault UK say every 70000 MILES. I dont know why there is such a difference but I smell rip off republic here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

dok_golf wrote: »
    The problem is that Renault IRELAND say the belt should be changed every 70000 km ( 45000 miles approx) but Renault UK say every 70000 MILES. I dont know why there is such a difference but I smell rip off republic here

I should have mentioned this in my first post. Hence why i wasnt 100% convinced at renault's recommendation. I last dropped in the car to them a few months ago and they marked the status of the belt as "amber" which means "timing belt should be changed soon" Not alot of info there!

Advertisement