Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Limp Mode

Options
  • 01-08-2008 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Anybody know anything about limp mode in VW's? At about 85mph the turbo keeps cutting on the car until I switch it off and back on again. It sounds like an electronic problem and have been advised to change the MAP/MAF sensor, dont know which one. Anybody know anything else it could be or have experience with it, its really annoting and a bit worrying if you're overtaking someone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Sounds like the boost control solenoid is faulty? I think its a common enough problem with tdi vw's

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

sounds like the car is telling you you are speeding! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

DaMonk wrote: »
    Anybody know anything about limp mode in VW's? At about 85mph the turbo keeps cutting on the car until I switch it off and back on again. It sounds like an electronic problem and have been advised to change the MAP/MAF sensor, dont know which one. Anybody know anything else it could be or have experience with it, its really annoting and a bit worrying if you're overtaking someone.

It could be the boost control solenoid as mentioned above and it could also be the MAF, but these can be tested dynamically using the correct diagnosis equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 echo hotel

If its the MAP or MAF sensor your engine management light sould be on is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I had this problem with the ALH engine in a Golf Tdi.. thats the 90bhp one.

The car would over boost when cold and cause it to go into limp mode.

Tested vacuum lines, changes control solenoids, basically tried an awful lot of crap.

Turns out there is 2 turbos fitted, one has a wastgate rod that runs parallel to the turbo shaft and one the runs at 90 degrees. Cant remember which one I had but it was the one that sticks.

Only happened when cold and giving it the shoe at maximum boost, while the turbo was spooling up.

Used to spray oil on it and hit it a few shots and it would behave for a while.

Check the map sensor too, they do give trouble.

Make sure the wastegate vacuum pipe has not come off the solenoid on the bulkhead or the actuator on the turbo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I see the OP recently remapped his car...

Did this problem only some about since then? Remap or tunning box?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

slideways wrote: »
    I see the OP recently remapped his car...

Did this problem only some about since then? Remap or tunning box?

I was going to say the exact same thing.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56748336&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

If this problem has only occurred immediately after a remap then it is likely to be connected to that.
    From experience it would in such a case also be likely that the tuner has stated the map is not at fault.

Advertisement