Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life in Templemore

• 01-08-2008 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

I know prob a thread up for this but just a couple of questions, was advised to speak to 1 or 2 people in training and at different phases before my interview. interview is week after next.

what was the biggest challenge?
    what is it like being back in a college environment (for the older members)?
    what is it like being in a college environment if you have never been?
    what about travelling up and down to templemore?

if anyone can come up with more questions that would be great?

if anyone wants to pm me that is fine.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

sfhawke7w wrote: »

Learning Irish (never done it before - ever!)

College enviro is enjoyable if you're there for the right reasons and understand that you are learning to become a police person

I hadn't really been to college before, but Templemore is a bit more disciplined your normal college per say. Some people are under an illusion its college with PE its not. You will shave every day, you will parade, drill and be on time, no hands in pockets, you salute officers as they pass you, and keep weekly/daily diary depending what phase your on etc. That environment if your not used to it takes getting used to!

Going up and down to templemore? You drive (car pool) or get the train. Train station is a 15min walk from college

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Anyone know what the story is with loans and stuff from the garda credit unions? have a loan that i wanna pay off and pay back to the credit union over time. Is there a limit to the amount that can be borrowed etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

They a very good and allow you to pay back what you can afford;

4% interest is not to be sneezed at either;

CU's come around in week 2, there are 2 down there St Raphaels and St Pauls;

gerire wrote: »
    They a very good and allow you to pay back what you can afford;

4% interest is not to be sneezed at either;

CU's come around in week 2, there are 2 down there St Raphaels and St Pauls;

cheers mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭lightyear

sfhawke7w wrote: »

PE was probably the hardest thing for me. I was never one for keeping fit at all.
    I'd been in college before but Templemore is way different. Ye can go three years in a degree in some places and never talk to anyone past five or six close friends but down there ye have dealings with everyone at some stage or another. Everyone is in the same boat and not to sound cheesey but tis like a big family.
    Travelling is grand. Car-pooling is the bes idea so ye have the best of craic cause theres always somebody goin your way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Just a quick question for anyone who is/was studying in Templemore.
    For the subjects you study down there (Legal Studies, Contextual Policing studies etc.) what books are required, and are they only purchased through the college? I'm wondering if it's possible to buy the books in easons or somewhere to have a flick through if I pass stage 2?

The college supplies the books to ye and ye don't pay for them. Ye get them in the first couple of days, they're printed and bound below in the college.
    They make for very heavy reading though I found if yer lookin at them before ye go down to the college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Blue belle,

Pm me with your email address and Ill send you on the legal studies bible. Tells you everything u need to know thats examined down there and what you need to know on the streets

I really don't want to sound like a party pooper and know that blue belle will probably be in soon, but I'd strongly advise not to pass on any bibles, procedures or Garda code etc... to anyone who's not a member.

You do sound like a party pooper. The laws of this land are freely available to any person wishing to acquaint themselves with same. My sending a condensed version of these laws breaks no law.

• Advertisement

the locust wrote: »
    I really don't want to sound like a party pooper and know that blue belle will probably be in soon, but I'd strongly advise not to pass on any bibles, procedures or Garda code etc... to anyone who's not a member.

Hi Locust. It is a 'bible' of definitions and laws, and something that every Irish Citizen should really know anyway if they are to avoid breaking the law.
    It's very handy to have them all in one place though, and I can assure everyone that I wont be passing on any confidential information.
    It's good to know what I will be letting myself in for, that's all.

I know you seem sound blue belle, i didn't mean to deny you any learning! I'm aware that the 'bibles' come in two types usually legal studies and procedure studies... when punchestown said:-

"I'll pass you on stuff that - tells you everything u need to know thats examined down there and what you need to know on the streets"

Yeah the law is fine - something everyone should know, but if you've sense you wouldn't pass on any procedures stuff or Garda operational 'what you need to know on the streets' stuff.

If you've been down in Templemore you'd know the Code etc that they are official documents and are strictly confidential? There are numerous elements in our society who would love to get their hands on these to outsmart the law etc.
    Peace

PS - Guards generally are party poopers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Do not pass on the Garda Code or, any GPPS stuff to people who are not members or students. If you're in the college then you'll remember you signed to acknowledge and obey the official secrets act, which would cover any confidential document you see or have in your possession.

you could loose your job before you even get out of phase 1 if caught.

Ok, I'm going to stop this conversation before it goes any further.

There was nothing in it that could be perceived as confidential, but as I said, it won't be going any further than me. I understand that things have to be kept confidential, and based on that you guys are expressing your opinion but Punchestown was helping me out by sending me some definitions that anyone can hear on the 9 o clock news anyway so can we bring this conversation to an end? It hardly seems fair to beat him up over trying to help me out.

Blue Belle wrote: »
    Ok, I'm going to stop this conversation before it goes any further.

There was nothing in it that could be perceived as confidential, but as I said, it won't be going any further than me. I understand that things have to be kept confidential, and based on that you guys are expressing your opinion but Punchestown was helping me out by sending me some definitions that anyone can hear on the 9 o clock news anyway so can we bring this conversation to an end? It hardly seems fair to beat him up over trying to help me out.

While i commend your enthusiasm blue belle, and while you might not think the stuff could be seen as confidential, i will say that pretty much everything in the bible is okay, except for the Garda Code and the GPPS stuff. which goes into garda procedures, and shouldn't be in the hands of someone who is not a member or studying to be a member.

I'm sorry if I seem to be coming across heavy handed on this, and while i wish you luck with your application. I really don't think you should have those parts of the bible. everything else in it is available in the public domain.

whooahh there tonto! Time to climb down off your high horse there. The information I sent to Blue Belle was purely a condensed version of the laws of this land. It was to give the girl an idea of the learning thats ahead of her should she be successful in her application to join AGS. It was not an attempt to divulge the hidden secrets of Irelands top secret society! Although I did tell her the Statoil code for the free coffee and donuts!:rolleyes:

whooahh there tonto! Time to climb down off your high horse there. The information I sent to Blue Belle was purely a condensed version of the laws of this land. It was to give the girl an idea of the learning thats ahead of her should she be successful in her application to join AGS. It was not an attempt to divulge the hidden secrets of Irelands top secret society! Although I did tell her the Statoil code for the free coffee and donuts!:rolleyes:

no high horse mate, sorry, just telling it like it is. If all you sent was the legal stuff that's grand but you said you sent a bible to her, any of which i've ever seen contain a code and a gpps folder. all i'm saying is to be careful what you're sending to people who aren't in the gardai.

TBH, you shouldn't be bothering with the bibles anyway cos they've changed the course so they're useless!!!!!!!!

TBH, you shouldn't be bothering with the bibles anyway cos they've changed the course so they're useless!!!!!!!!

Yup!!

Most of the Legislation has changed or been ammended

the locust wrote: »
    Yup!!

Most of the Legislation has changed or been ammended

not only that but the format of the exams has changed

• Advertisement

My apologies for giving the impression that bibles and state secrets were being passed. The information given was a simple condensed version of the laws of the land. I made blue belle aware of the fact that these have changed in the interim. There was no other material passed around so I would be grateful if we could get back on topic and not be going over this time and time again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

What about some photos of what the on-campus accomadation is like lads?

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    YO COUCH!!

its nothing special and its not jail, read through other posts and the official website.

you get everything you need, bed, sink,mirror,WINDOW,wardrobe and desk nd chair. :p
    Feels more real with photos though, you know ?

Rooms, corridors .. you know ? Don't see why it wouldn't be allowed to post such photos but please do check first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

is djpaddy still doing the discos in the rec on a thursday night or is that a thing of the past? lol

I thought the rec was closed these days.
    Anyway theres always Polly's Top DJ

Advertisement