Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dodgy??

Options
  • 01-08-2008 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

I've just bought a car from a local dealer who is well known to my family and who we thought was reputable. I suppose bought isn't really the right word to use as I didn't pay him a penny yet but the car is in my drive-way. We have an arrangement, theres no point in me going into it.

The problem is that my uncles and a few other people have commented on the boot of the car, saying thet its a different colour to the rest of the car and there is a big gap when it is closed. The gap is well sealed in the inside ie. nothing can get in, but my concern is that I when I asked about previous owners etc, I wasn't told that the car was in any kind of an accident or that the boot door was replaced.

I think i'm better off not buying the car but some people are telling me tog o ahead and buy it but to get a better price..
    Any advice??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You've given two reasons not to buy it.

1. It's possibly been in a crash.
    Walk away, there's plenty of quality used cars out there.

2. It's a friend of the family selling it.
    If this turns nasty they could end up as an ex friend of the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

He's not actually a friend of the family, a few members from my family have bought cars from him in the past and now he is well known/trusted by my family.

You're right though I have some pretty solid reasons not to buy it. I just needed confirmation I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭melbourne

Don't take it, there is always another car. Personally I wouldn't buy anything without a full service history(verified by main dealer) and getting checked on the ramp by mechanic. It's a big investment so be as sure as as you can on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

merryhappy wrote: »
    He's not actually a friend of the family, a few members from my family have bought cars from him in the past and now he is well known/trusted by my family.

If that's the case then just give it back and let him know you're not a pushover.
    Seriously - the forecourts are full to the point that some dealers are refusing to take trade-ins. Be patient and I'm sure you will find a good deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I know this is quite common on some saloon cars (merc w210 for one) What happens is people shove golf clubs etc into the boot and then try to slam it shut thus bending/damaging the hinges

edit; sorry missed the part where you said the boot was also a different colour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did you ask the seller about the body work? The fact that he didn't disclose this information to a valued customer would have me question his trustworthiness.

If still you have any doubts about the car then don't go through with it. From experience when it comes to money or business there are no friends of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Fek lads I wouldn't be too harsh on the dealer until he gets a chance to respond! Could be something simple that was wrong and the boot was repaired. Especially if it was an older car you'd almost expect there was some sort of repair done at some stage! You should be informed of a crash causing structural or extensive damage but the odd ding repaired probably overkill to expect a detailed description of them. I understand he said there is a gap when the boot is closed but I'd ask the dealer and if something simple was repaired I'd be happy anyway.

Advertisement