Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

additional 280 Euro per annum for Insurance for modification

Options
  • 01-08-2008 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭

Hi All

rang the insurance company today to inform them that I had modified my car yesterday (Coilover Suspension)

They said well that will be €340 on top of your €2280 premium.

I almost got sick! I was expecting it to me more like €100 (€150 tops)
    there are people paying €340 for their policy!

I argued with her and she said we could do it for 280 with an mechanics inspection (she sends out forms etc, need to pay an engineer/mechanic to fill em in etc, which would prob cost another couple of quid)

I'm with quinn btw, thats probably my problem....

I think they will be coming back off this weekend :(
    I'm not paying that

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

I could understand that for a stupid exhaust or spoilers etc but I think it's crazy that you get penalised for making you car safer (in your case improving road holding)?? Surely that means less chance of a smash?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I Know!!!!

Its crazy! and wanna know whats even more crazy... who ever had the car before me has put on some crappy economy shocks (SR shocks)

they are muck... worse than standard!

They dont give ya money off for them! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Insurance companies are like Ryanair, I.E. If you get the basic price of a premium they are grand, if there is any if’s, buts etc or anything out of the ordinary you are screwed no matter what it is even if its beneficial. I was charged a e50 administration charge because I wanted to transfer from one vehicle to another while one was being repaired.

I was charged a e50 administration charge because I wanted to transfer from one vehicle to another while one was being repaired.

Ok... now thats Bull!
    I think the reason they get away with it is because you are obligated to have insurance.

You HAVE to have it. so they can charge what they want
    Lads in the UK my age are paying £480 for insurance with mods... simpley because its not a rip off over there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

grahambo wrote: »
    Ok... now thats Bull!
    I think the reason they get away with it is because you are obligated to have insurance.

You HAVE to have it. so they can charge what they want
    Lads in the UK my age are paying £480 for insurance with mods... simpley because its not a rip off over there
    At first they wouldn't even quote me, I.e. I was on a commercial policy driving a Hiace and went on to a Ford Fiesta for the week I was getting the work done to it. I battled with them and eventually they agreed a figure of 50 Quid, (This was old money). I lived in the States for two years and there was none of this cr*p with Insurance companies.

• Advertisement

thats outrageous man!

I hate all the crap we have to put up with here

wanna know what else is gas? the car is an evo 5... wasnt officially sold in europe. So they gave me crap about it not being "An Irish Car". They dont make cars in this country! all cars are imports!

The whole system is so tired up and monopolised that it makes me sick to my stomach!

I wonder if I am fully comp. can I crash my car through the Quinn building and have them pay for a new car for me and the damage to their own building then with the money i get buy another car... insure it and Crash that through the quinn building again?

Let them be the ones getting screwed for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

thats outrageous man!

I hate all the crap we have to put up with here

wanna know what else is gas? the car is an evo 5... wasnt officially sold in europe. So they gave me crap about it not being "An Irish Car". They dont make cars in this country! all cars are imports!

The whole system is so tired up and monopolised that it makes me sick to my stomach!

I wonder if I am fully comp. can I crash my car through the Quinn building and have them pay for a new car for me and the damage to their own building then with the money i get buy another car... insure it and Crash that through the quinn building again?

Let them be the ones getting screwed for a change

Im sorry but am i the only person who thinks that you're an idiot

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jackncoke wrote: »

there is a sarcasim course in DIT, you should do it!

surely graham, the shocks are not a performance modification??
    what happens if you knacker the shock on a 1.1 fiesta, then you go to Ford and they say 1000 euro to fix, but kwik fit can supply a non OEM alternative for 400 euro, you go with kwikfit, this is a modification too but they wouldnt up your premium for it!!!

madness, you should get away from Quinn as soon as you can.

yeah im going to have to Kieth

25 in sept :)

who were you with when you had your evo?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

kceire wrote: »
    ....surely graham, the shocks are not a performance modification??
    what happens if you knacker the shock on a 1.1 fiesta, then you go to Ford and they say 1000 euro to fix, but kwik fit can supply a non OEM alternative for 400 euro, you go with kwikfit, this is a modification too but they wouldnt up your premium for it!!!

Coilover shocks are a performance mod. though. I've no idea if the resultant loading is reasonable or not.

Fair play to the OP btw for disclosing them. A refreshing change to the Glanza/Impreza "1.3/2.0 on log book", which reflects a sickening attitude to
    insurance and accountabilty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

They would be a performance mod but they wouldn't cause your car to gain any bhp at all.

Does anyones know any other insurance company that doesn't ripp you off like Quinn on mods?
    I d really like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I noticed this on the Quinn website, they have a dropdown to list all mods, including air filters, the K&N ones or whatever, i can understand NOS or something but isnt it more or less proven that those air filters dont make the car any quicker!

It think its on the theory that someone who puts mods on cars is maybe more likely to drive faster and increase risk of crash or damage.

Just a money making thing that makes it look like your getting a good price, until you add in all the 'extras' that other companies include!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Car doesn't have to be any quicker to be a higher insurance risk.

A bodykit, fancy stereo, or uprated wheels and tyres wouldn't make it any quicker, but would make it more attractive to a thief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

jackncoke wrote: »

+1

what in gods name posessed you to tell your insurance company you modified your car ???????????????????

has the world gone mad?????????????????

have you ever heard the saying "what the insurane company dont know wont hurt them".

go see a doctor:D

markos79 wrote: »
    +1

what in gods name posessed you to tell your insurance company you modified your car ???????????????????

have you ever heard the saying "what the insurane company dont know wont hurt them".

-1 dude.... If I mod the Car I'm not insured as I lied to the insurance company. what happens if I hit someone and permanently injure them? or kill them?

Insurance company could just turn around and say. "you never told us you had those on the car" your not insured. what will happen me then?

I'll be in dept for literally the rest of my life paying fr that persons medical expenses

+1

OP was legally obliged to do so. Blatant non disclosure, similar to what you appear to be advocating above, is irresponsible and stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

+1

Dood seriously, YOU go see the doctor. thats hardly a sensible statement, what if this "modification" caused a failure which results in an accident and someones death, and after the event the insurance company did an examination on the car, that would leave our coilover friend in big trouble.

If you modify your car outside the manufacturers specs, or its not on the options list and Im not talking about Argos pipes and cone filters, then it should be declared to the insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Bobo78 wrote: »
    They would be a performance mod but they wouldn't cause your car to gain any bhp at all.
    I think you guys need to look at this from the insurance co's point of view. Simply put, the kind of person who fits coilovers is more likely to cause a claim than your average joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

-1 dude.... If I mod the Car I'm not insured as I lied to the insurance company. what happens if I hit someone and permanently injure them? or kill them?

Insurance company could just turn around and say. "you never told us you had those on the car" your not insured. what will happen me then?

I'll be in dept for literally the rest of my life paying fr that persons medical expenses

While I'm not into the car modification scene I know that you guys do get a pretty bad press for a legitimate hobby and the guys who spend months tweaking setups and rebuilding engines are usually lumped in with the 1.3 Starlet with 15 spoilers "boy racer" brigade who are, more often than not, the ones who cause the majority of the young male 3am weekend slaughter in this country.

I admire your attitude and your honesty OP, credit where its due and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

grahambo,henry and cgb chillax lads i was just pointing out that grahambo didnt have to tell the insurance he modded his car, big swing a set of coilovers its hardly nitros oxide ffs.

thats like saying none of you 3 ever went to the pub when you were under 18 because it was just damn right wrong and because if you did youd get your bum bums slapped.................................as if get off the high horses dudes!!!!

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    I think you guys need to look at this from the insurance co's point of view. Simply put, the kind of person who fits coilovers is more likely to cause a claim than your average joe.

I think thats a bad attitude dude. Explain to me 2 years ago when I was driving a 98 Clio I was a safe driver but now that I drive and Evo I am a dangerous driver that is likely to kill someone every week because I drive a fast car

Insurance is ridiculous. almost every car on the road today is capable of doing 100kph on 60kph roads

Insurance premium should reflect on the person and not what car they drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

grahambo,henry and cgb chillax lads i was just pointing out that grahambo didnt have to tell the insurance he modded his car, big swing a set of coilovers its hardly nitros oxide ffs.

thats like saying none of you 3 ever went to the pub when you were under 18 because it was just damn right wrong and because if you did youd get your bum bums slapped.................................as if get off the high horses dudes!!!!

Your missing the point (or ignoring it)
    Its not the fact coilovers a fitted, its the impact that modifcation has on the handling and overall safety of the car.

I'm not on any high horse, just have a sensitivity to stupidity.

Incorrect markos79, he was obliged to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Big difference between going to the pub for a sneaky pint when you are 16, which ,yeah, we have all done, and crippling someone and not having the means to pay their medical costs.

It's not the fact that its coilovers or a twin turbo, it's the fact that the insurance company could void his insurance for an undisclosed modification.

I take your point but its a bit out of context.

we are talking about financial security and peoples lives here and not a smacked arse

Its important to tell them

...Insurance premium should reflect on the person and not what car they drive.

The whole idea of insurance is risk pooling. You pay a premium based on certain assumptions. Good drivers pay the same as poor drivers in similar circumstances.

It's not perfect, but there's no other way of doing it fairly.

The whole idea of insurance is risk pooling. You pay a premium based on certain assumptions. Good drivers pay the same as poor drivers in similar circumstances.

It's not perfect, but there's no other way of doing it fairly.

I think its far from perfect dude

I think that if you have proven your a safe driver (IE no pen points, no crashes, no claims, good few years experience etc)

you shouldn't have to pay high insurance, simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Insurance is a big ripoff in this country, what else can i say, about a month ago i made modification on my car (it was back box) and i informed the insurance company and they refused to insure me at all, on the so called performance modification so i just had to take it off. It just wasn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think thats a bad attitude dude. Explain to me 2 years ago when I was driving a 98 Clio I was a safe driver but now that I drive and Evo I am a dangerous driver that is likely to kill someone every week because I drive a fast car

Insurance is ridiculous. almost every car on the road today is capable of doing 100kph on 60kph roads

Insurance premium should reflect on the person and not what car they drive.
    Insurance companies are not here to help us, they're here to make money. The cars we drive are a reflection of how we drive, and ins cos charge accordingly. If you don't like the quote you're getting, shop around.

• Advertisement

I think its far from perfect dude

I think that if you have proven your a safe driver (IE no pen points, no crashes, no claims, good few years experience etc)

you shouldn't have to pay high insurance, simple.

I agree. A high performance car does increase risk though. Sometimes of theft. But even a really good safe driver will only bother to own a faster car if they're going to use it's potential at least once in a while.

I've had a few quick cars too btw.

Advertisement