Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

additional 280 Euro per annum for Insurance for modification

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

As a matter of interest. how many here know a lot about suspension dynamics. Who can say that the coilovers did not make the car more of a risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Hmmm lets say i changed my tires to say a really good all weather tire, any chance my insurance would go down? Also can anyone recommend an insurance company that won't crucify you for having a few aftermarket bits on your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

As a matter of interest. how many here know a lot about suspension dynamics. Who can say that the coilovers did not make the car more of a risk?

Coilover as simple enough in design

the ones I have a are fully adjustable

you can adjust:
    the height - obvious
    the Damping - basically how much the shock can move up and down
    the Rebound stiffness - How quick the shock returns to a "centered" position after it is pushed up or down.

ID have a "normal" setting on mine, maybe a wee bit softer, wouldn't adjust the ride height

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The dynamics themselves I think are not that important. OP knew they were a performance mod. He had no other reason for fitting them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

zero19 wrote: »
    Hmmm lets say i changed my tires to say a really good all weather tire, any chance my insurance would go down? Also can anyone recommend an insurance company that won't crucify you for having a few aftermarket bits on your car?

The change would not be seen as "material" in the assessment of the overall risk.

The significance of your "few aftermarket bit" depends totally on what they are and what they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

That's what i figured. As in body modifications, subtle spoiler and lip kit for example purely cosmetic...

grahambo wrote: »
    Coilover as simple enough in design

the ones I have a are fully adjustable

you can adjust:
    the height - obvious
    the Damping - basically how much the shock can move up and down
    the Rebound stiffness - How quick the shock returns to a "centered" position after it is pushed up or down.

ID have a "normal" setting on mine, maybe a wee bit softer, wouldn't adjust the ride height

I know what coilovers are. I have a little experience of chassis tuning.
    Do you think it is possible that fitting them could have a detrimental effect on the handling of the car?

The dynamics themselves I think are not that important. OP knew they were a performance mod. He had no other reason for fitting them.
    On the contrary, suspension dynamics are one the most important things in any car though I agree that the insurance company would be unlikely to consider he fitted them to make the car safer while he cornered at the same speed as before.

I know what coilovers are. I have a little experience of chassis tuning.
    Do you think it is possible that fitting them could have a detrimental effect on the handling of the car?

Defo

to hard and low the car will bottom out around corners

to soft and high would mean excessive roll around corners

On the contrary, suspension dynamics are one the most important things in any car though I agree that the insurance company would be unlikely to consider he fitted them to make the car safer while he cornered at the same speed as before.

I think you may have misunderstood my point there. Whatever about adjustability any insurer would be right to view uprated suspension as an additional risk.

Defo

to hard and low the car will bottom out around corners

to soft and high would mean excessive roll around corners

There is more to it than that but in general I would agree, and there are a lot of cars running coilovers as well as other suspension mods that ruin the cars handling. There are also very few people who can set them up correctly. With that in mind it is hardly surprising the insurance companies penalise for fitting them.

• Advertisement

I think you may have misunderstood my point there. Whatever about adjustability any insurer would be right to view uprated suspension as an additional risk.

Basically what the insurance companies want is your money.

The Idea is simple

If you have the money to buy and maintain a sports car then you will have money to pay for the insurance which the insurance companies will gladly take from you

if you buy a cheap banger well then the insurance companies know you either
    A: havn't got a bean to your name
    B: havn't an interest in driving really, A high premium would mean you just wouldn't drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Basically what the insurance companies want is your money.

The Idea is simple

If you have the money to buy and maintain a sports car then you will have money to pay for the insurance which the insurance companies will gladly take from you

if you buy a cheap banger well then the insurance companies know you either
    A: havn't got a bean to your name
    B: havn't an interest in driving really, A high premium would mean you just wouldn't drive.
    While there is some truth in this, the way it works is really much simpler. Like any business, ins cos are in it to make profit. If they quote too high, the business (and their profits) goes elsewhere. If they quote too low, claims wipe out profits. They therefore need to calculate how likely a potential customer is to claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

and when they calculate a suitable premium they multiply it by 250%...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ClioV6 wrote: »
    and when they calculate a suitable premium they multiply it by 250%...
    If they do that, you go elsewhere. It's the same principle as buying anything. For example, FBD wanted €1,200+ to insure my Forester 2.5XT. I shopped around, finally got cover from Hiberninan including open drive and protected bonus for €470. I don't go around bad-mouthing FBD, I just didn't use them.

Advertisement