Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

B*tch, fu*k, cu*t, sh*t and children?

• 01-08-2008 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Ok I was just reading the censorship on tv thread there and i figured i'd start this one as its something I've always wondered about. That being what exactly is the big deal with the words above and this mindset of "we have to shield children from them" that some people have. It is prevalent everywhere, tv, cinema, radio, literature, even the internet (hence the **'s ain the thread title). I'm just curious as to wether people here agree that children shouldn't see, hear, read these words and what exactly to you think the dire consequences of a nine year old hearing the word sh1t is going to be? "little billy was such a good boy, then one day he watched an episode of Hells Kitchen when his mammy was distracted and was so distraught he murdered his siblings with a cabbage"

(poll coming)

Do you think children need to be protected from "swearing" 95 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    53% 51 votes
    Go fukk yourself ya cunnt or I'll ram an Atari Jaguar up your fukking arse
    46% 44 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Was watching paramount comedy this morning and they took the word ass out of scrubs...ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

I find the cu*t word really offensive and think no one should be subjected to hearing it. Let alone children

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

C*nt is the worst ever. If I ever heard a child saying it I think I'd smack 'em...mind you, where did they pick it up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

dh2007 wrote: »
    I find the cu*t word really offensive and think no one should be subjected to hearing it. Let alone children

Why? It's just a word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

out of curiosity are you female?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

ozzyoh wrote: »
    C*nt is the worst ever. If I ever heard a child saying it I think I'd smack 'em...mind you, where did they pick it up...

Ah, er, that was probably me, if they live in Inchicore.

"Gerrowadahgarden! yiz little cnuts..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

They probably wouldn't use the words so much if less of a fuss was made over them..

My own mother still frowns when she hears me say cr?p:rolleyes:

Wertz wrote: »
    Why? It's just a word.

A word that sounds terrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd like to think that its possible to raise children at home without subjecting them and anyone else to stream of explitives. Its just good manners. But as the lower orders on TV swear like chavs and the Irish like to swear anyway (esp jokey versions like Feck and Arse) its an uphill battle.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭SunnyP

I agree I think its a vile word whethar spoken by adults or children

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

There is a certain harshness about "c*nt". It just seems aggressive and spiteful. If I had a child, I wouldn't want him to use it. Society has deemed what's acceptable and what isn't. I guess we need to accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

so if someone told you to c*nt off you'd be doubly offended?

on topic they'll hear it anyway, I'm always getting grief for my language be it in work or by the missus. my answer to her was "you had no problem with my tongue before why now ;)"

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I think the obvious answer is that they are considered to be vulgar words. If children hear them they will use them, either because they feel it is acceptable or for shock value. I reckon yours reason for posting those words as a subject is for shock value?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think c*nt is a great word but not to be overused - and it does sound worse coming from women (sorry about that not being PC). And I don't like it being stuck into every single sentence - by either gender.

If I heard a child saying it... ooh, that would be a pretty nasty thing to hear.

Yeah, lol at how MTV blanks out "ass", "crap" and "piss" at 1am but SHOWS plenty of female ass at 1pm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

Wertz wrote: »
    Why? It's just a word.

I don't really know! probably because it refers to genitalia. yet I don't find f*ck nearly as offensive...probably because I'm more sanitised to the word f*ck cos you hear it all the time.

milod wrote: »
    Ah, er, that was probably me, if they live in Inchicore.

"Gerrowadahgarden! yiz little cnuts..."

Lol! Wouldn't "feckers" have sufficed? I admit it...I've often used the word...when I REALLY wanna rile someone up..."b@stard" "f*cker" won't do it, for some reason "c*nt" works wonders everytime....but I only use it in extreme cases!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I find the cuut word really offensive and think no one should be subjected to hearing it. Let alone children
    Cunt is the worst ever. If I ever heard a child saying it I think I'd smack 'em...mind you, where did they pick it up...

I don't understand why this is a taboo word, I mean it's a vagina. I don't see how this is above any other genitalia reference e.g. cock, twat etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Agree with Dudess cunt is a great word, and unlike most swear words it can still shock or provoke semi polite company. I don't think theres any need to protect children from words of any kind really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Why is there even a cursing filter on boards?

I mean, a kid for some reason reads boards, sees the odd curse, whats the harm, they probably wouldn't even care.

In reality as it stands, child on the internet, all they have to do is use google image search to be subjected to filth, the ammount of ****e that is on the net is hug, why bother filtering boards.

At least make it an option to turn it off maybe, its silly, I can still say fuck but I have to be sneaky.

Also little johny surely can read fcuk and get it half right.

I just don't see the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I'm sure some cúnt just said it without thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I love the word "c*nt". I really do. It's a good juicy word and the only word that satisfies me when I'm really pissed off about something / at someone. However, I don't find "bad language" offensive in any way. Sticks and stones tbh.

If I had kids, I wouldn't like them to curse all the time. I would hope that they would be intelligent enough to be able to get a point across without swearing during every sentence. However, I would also hope that they would be intelligent enough to know that by making a big deal out of a word, like "c*nt" for example (or "Voldamort" for all the HP fans) it only increases the power of that word. I wouldn't like any word to make them squirm.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The Americanisation of cunt has lead to it's downfall here.
    Before everyone was a cunt. A Cheeky cunt, a lucky cunt, a shower of right cunts, and it was all meant in a jovial and polite manner.
    Then all of a sudden, them Republican right wing fellas from across the ocean start saying "Oh noes! It be offensive to ladies!" and because of the importing of crappy american tv and crappy american family values here we suddenly think cunt is a terrible word.
    It isnt.
    Get over it.
    I'm taking cunt back.
    Wow. I wonder if this is the most cunts ever in one post in AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I was at a BBQ last week with both adults and kids, and the 4 year old from the neighbouring house hung out his window (scarily far) and shouted down "Your all f***ing c*nts, you b*stards."

That's why kids shouldn't hear these words. He is 4 ffs. It was very sad. That's how his mother addresses him so its not his fault, but talk about an ASBO waiting to happen...

sueme wrote: »
    I was at a BBQ last week with both adults and kids, and the 4 year old from the neighbouring house hung out his window (scarily far) and shouted down "Your all f***ing c*nts, you b*stards."

That's why kids shouldn't hear these words. He is 4 ffs. It was very sad. That's how his mother addresses him so its not his fault, but talk about an ASBO waiting to happen...

Bah, any of you at that barbeque that didn't laugh when that happened have no soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Nah, that'll be when someone multiquotes Tha Gopha' and degsy at the same time.

Well you were, havin' a BBQ without inviting him. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Ya cunt.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Like it or not, people are going to judge the character of your children in later life by the words they use and the way they speak. To some people, excessive swearing represents a lack of verbal ability, and shows that the person doesn't have the linguistic means to express themselves properly. It's not a good habit to have.

Yes, the F word is just a word, but words do have meaning - that's why we have language in the first place. Of course we all swear from time to time, but I find the excessive use of swear words as common interjections to be a bit tawdry TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I turned out alright... Let the little c*nts fend for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I don't know what the big deal is tbh, they're just words. C8nt is a little more extreme than the others it seems, but that's just a taboo. As for protecting kids, I know for a fact that with the above exception, my 7yo cousin knows just about every curseword under the sun, and he'll point it out, loudly, if he hears anyone using them. But he's clever enough not to use them himself - hearing them again on TV won't change the fact that his dad will burn his PS2 ;)

Obviously lots of cursing on TV is not to be encouraged for kids (don't sit them in front of south park etc), but the odd time in general TV viewing really won't hurt for the majority of sensible kids. They WILL pick it up somewhere else by accident.
    That's how his mother addresses him so its not his fault

Tbph that's the mother's fault - she should be publicly FLOGGED if she calls her son that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The Americanisation of cunt has lead to it's downfall here.
    Before everyone was a cunt. A Cheeky cunt, a lucky cunt, a shower of right cunts, and it was all meant in a jovial and polite manner.
    Then all of a sudden, them Republican right wing fellas from across the ocean start saying "Oh noes! It be offensive to ladies!" and because of the importing of crappy american tv and crappy american family values here we suddenly think cunt is a terrible word.
    It isnt.
    Get over it.
    I'm taking cunt back.

Yeah seriously...I use cúnt as a term of endearment, but hardly ever in a vengeful or intentionally insulting way...it was only when I was in the 'States that it was pointed out to me (several times lol). Additionally I would never use it as a term for female genitalia...

As for kids swearing? Come round my way some time...the kids could teach me a thing or two about swearing...it only takes for one to hear it and they'll be out in the playground or street passing it on...TV is as much to blame as loose lipped parents IMO...but again like I said above, they're all just words...when kids see the shock value and the "coolness" using them gets them they use it all the more...often the actual meanings are way over their heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

I don't agree that kids should be shielded from the words.

However it is up to the parents to ensure that it is not acceptable to use them.
    I think if you go out of your way to shield them it will just make it a much bigger deal for them when they do hear them etc.

So its just a case of common sense. I curse like a trouper but both my 15 yr old and 6 yr olds know not to use them (I'm not naive enough to think they don't do it when out playing or with their friends).

Its at the stage where my 6 yr old pulls the 15 yr old up for saying cr@p or @rse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

They are just words and words cant hurt people...unless those words are "You have AIDS" then you're kinda screwed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

I have to say I love the word cvnt too. But only if used properly. Have some ozzy friends that say it the whole time and it's hillarious - "Hey cvnt"!!

Or even Ari Gold in Entourage answering his phone "cvntmuscle" - classic

But (without being sexist) to hear a girl say it in a biting tone is horrible. If used light-heartedly it's the best word ever. Otherwise it's just awful. If that makes any sense!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"I can smell your cvnt"

(to quote "silence of the lambs")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

To me it's not the words that are offensive, it's the meaning behind them.

If I hear a 6 year old telling someone to "fuck off" I think it's wrong because the language is associated not just with aggression but violent aggression. No 6 year old should be that violent.

Of course, most very young kids (3-4) hear it and repeat it without realising the violence of intent that the phrases carry.

That language is associated with a certain type of behaviour that is unacceptable to me. You only have to look around for a minute or two in Ireland or England and you'll find some mother or father swearing violently at their kids.

We wonder why there is so much violence and aggression from the chavs of this world; this is part of the reason.

I don't agree with the term 'lower orders' either, these people are just as aggressive in their own right, the type who think they are superior to others when they just happened to be lucky enough to be born into a better lifestyle and upbringing. These people are as bad as the chavs as they encourage divisiveness and a class society. They also swear except that instead of saying "fuck sake", they say "fock sake" or "focking chav, I'll have at you. Henry, fetch me my pugilist attire, I shall teach this rotter a lesson he shan't forget in a hurry!" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

would never have thought about this that much, however just overheard a lovely grandmother call the kids fukcing knackers for jumping in puddles to which one responded with b*itch and I was horrified....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Stark wrote: »
    "Can I smell your cvnt"

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Okay :P

I have to say I love the word cvnt too. But only if used properly. Have some ozzy friends that say it the whole time and it's hillarious - "Hey cvnt"!!

Or even Ari Gold in Entourage answering his phone "cvntmuscle" - classic

But (without being sexist) to hear a girl say it in a biting tone is horrible. If used light-heartedly it's the best word ever. Otherwise it's just awful. If that makes any sense!!

Fucking love Ari Gold and Entourage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

i know a girl who hates c*nt & f*nny!

in her presence we have to say front bum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

taidghbaby wrote: »

Does she mind the words cock and prick too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

School yard most probably.

• Advertisement

taidghbaby wrote: »

Roffles I love it. What sort of child is she??? Jaysus once you reach your teens you should be able to call a spade a spade, or in this case, a **** a ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I personally think they should be
    But, I voted "Go fukk yourself ya cunnt or I'll ram an Atari Jaguar up your fukking arse" because it sounds nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

The C word is brilliant. It's like a special power because of how it offends some people. I like to insult people by making up nonsensical words to call them that, when thought about bring up a visual image quite easily. "Dickfart" or "Vagmonkey" are good simple ones, "a big quivering pile of endometreum" makes me feel smart and poetic. Whilst "Sh*ttyC*nt" is just a nasty nasty thought.

Get creative, then we can show everyone that it IS funny and it IS smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Kold wrote: »
    The C word is brilliant. It's like a special power because of how it offends some people. I like to insult people by making up nonsensical words to call them that, when thought about bring up a visual image quite easily. "Dickfart" or "Vagmonkey" are good simple ones, "a big quivering pile of endometreum" makes me feel smart and poetic. Whilst "Sh*ttyC*nt" is just a nasty nasty thought.

Get creative, then we can show everyone that it IS funny and it IS smart.

here here!!

Dead right - you have to keep things fresh and interesting. Shake it up!! Just like women are sick of the boring ol' clichéd chat up lines; they'd much rather hear "I'd eat your @ss with a spoon" or "I'd let you p!ss in my eyes". Am I right???!!

Or is that why I'm single and get slapped a lot when I'm out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Whats wrong with kids, and people in general, cursing? Its just a word. It should be the intent and emotions behind the word that people find shocking but if people hear a kid saying 'I'll kill you you wee-wee head' they just smile regardless of the fact the kid just threatend another one. When they here 'I'll kill you you f*cking c*nt' its somehow 10 times worse, they then give out to the child who begins to think 'Hm, those words are offensive. Perhaps I should use them more often in my threats to offend whomever I'm having a dispute with'.

Fvcking ridiculous, shower of cvnts ****ting on my right to free-fvcking-speech!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

This vid pwns ALL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ISil7IHzxc

why are people afraid of words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

tribulus wrote: »
    Does she mind the words cock and prick too?
    we have to use middle leg.....

and i wuldnt mind.....actually i should stop there-she's going out with a mate :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Cunny-Funt wrote: »

Great vid.

There are two main tactics of debate, reason and stubborness. Both win as much as the other. Christianity tends to advocate stubborness over reason.

Cunny-Funt wrote: »

Ha, good man Frankie, what a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Was in Canada recently and may have inadvertently referred to Bono as a cunt more than once in the same 5 minute rant. The looks on their faces was priceless. But in some circumstances (talking about Bono etc.) it is warranted and the vehemence of the word adds to its appeal.

As has been said, none of these endearing words would be nearly as offensive if we didn't make them so taboo. I'm all for the swearing when its used for emphasis or similar. Sometimes a regular word just won't do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement