Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

B*tch, fu*k, cu*t, sh*t and children?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, a word only has the power you give it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭david_the_great

slipss wrote: »
    Ok I was just reading the censorship on tv thread there and i figured i'd start this one as its something I've always wondered about. That being what exactly is the big deal with the words above and this mindset of "we have to shield children from them" that some people have. It is prevalent everywhere, tv, cinema, radio, literature, even the internet (hence the **'s ain the thread title). I'm just curious as to wether people here agree that children shouldn't see, hear, read these words and what exactly to you think the dire consequences of a nine year old hearing the word sh1t is going to be? "little billy was such a good boy, then one day he watched an episode of Hells Kitchen when his mammy was distracted and was so distraught he murdered his siblings with a cabbage"

(poll coming)

swear words are a mark of disrespect and kids shouldn't be taugt to se words or think its ok to use word used in this way"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

taidghbaby wrote: »
    i know a girl who hates c*nt & f*nny!

in her presence we have to say front bum!
    what a twat...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You see, words are like bullets....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

greatgoal wrote: »
    what a twat...

+1
    Get her The Enema Strikes Back by Blink 182 and play the most offensive song, goes something like this:

"sh*t, piss, f*ck, c*nt, cocksucker, motherf*cker, tits, fart, dirty twat, I f*cked your mom" and keeps repeating this, for a few mins. She'll probably spontaneously combust :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"in days of olde when men were bold and johnnies werent invented
    they wrapped a sock around their cock and rode quite contented"

some fecker wrote that on a wall down my way when i was kid, I memorized it because i thought it was about knights and recited it to the class in front of me teacher. :pac:

Just goes to show that kids dont have a clue what most swearings about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

A couple of weeks ago I overheard a kid on my road tell another kid that he really hated him and wanted to kill him. I was really taken aback, much more so than if he'd called the other kid a f*cker or a c*unt. Words themselves are not 'bad' but they be construed that way, kids should be taught that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

The Americanisation of cunt has lead to it's downfall here.
    Before everyone was a cunt. A Cheeky cunt, a lucky cunt, a shower of right cunts, and it was all meant in a jovial and polite manner.
    Then all of a sudden, them Republican right wing fellas from across the ocean start saying "Oh noes! It be offensive to ladies!" and because of the importing of crappy american tv and crappy american family values here we suddenly think cunt is a terrible word.
    It isnt.
    Get over it.
    I'm taking cunt back.
    Wow. I wonder if this is the most cunts ever in one post in AH.

Ive only ever met one Irish girl who stated that she hated the word.

This is Ireland. A place where, when someone heres of someone dying tragically, it isnt uncommon to hear "Jesus. Poor cnut!" and for nobody to bat an eyelid.

tbh it is more controversial in the US because certain yank accents carry it so viciously :D Italian American especially. One of the funniest bits in the Sopranos being when Tony is talking about Fat Pussy (a character in the show, for those who are getting confused :) ). Tony has, unbeknownst to his wife, murdered Pussy after discovering he was an informant, but has put the word out that Pussy is actually in the witness protection programme (as his body has never been found. Carmela is banging on about how awful it is that Pussys wife has been left alone with no money

Tony "I dont wanna hear any more about fcukin Pussy! Or his ungreatful cnut wife"
    Carmela "His what wife?" :D :pac: :D

Her delivery of it in response is classic :p

Or when he tells his money grabbing doctor "fcuk you ya sick cnut"

Its just alot colder than hearing some oul Irishman referring to someone as a lucky cnut, or a gas cnut, or a sly cnut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

mike65 wrote: »
    I'd like to think that its possible to raise children at home without subjecting them and anyone else to stream of explitives. Its just good manners. But as the lower orders on TV swear like chavs and the Irish like to swear anyway (esp jokey versions like Feck and Arse) its an uphill battle.

Mike.
    It's entirely possible to raise children at home without subjecting them to those words, but it would also mean keeping them locked away from all outside contact.
    Most children hear these words at school or from their friends.
    Motosam wrote: »
    Why is there even a cursing filter on boards?

I mean, a kid for some reason reads boards, sees the odd curse, whats the harm, they probably wouldn't even care.

In reality as it stands, child on the internet, all they have to do is use google image search to be subjected to filth, the ammount of ****e that is on the net is hug, why bother filtering boards.

At least make it an option to turn it off maybe, its silly, I can still say fuck but I have to be sneaky.

Also little johny surely can read fcuk and get it half right.

I just don't see the point.
    Some schools and offices restrict access to sites with those words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The verb "murder" is a clean word??It implies the taking of life
    On the other hand, f**k is a swear word,the most common of all when in its true meaning, it implies the creation of life.
    Anyone see where i'm coming from here??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Kids, especially young kids, swearing sounds very strange. It's probably not the best for a child to learn to curse because more than likely it will limit their vocabulary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

C*nt has it's place, I'd rarely use it unless I need to take the swearing up a notch and usually the person/people I'm calling it is/are one. :)

My parents brought me up very well indeed but on occasion I'll swear like a sailor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It's probably not the best for a child to learn to curse because more than likely it will limit their vocabulary.

I think there is truth in this, if the first response to anything is to swear it suggests stunted growth.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Fuck that I mean, Flip that :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement