Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best & worst signings so far...predictions

• 01-08-2008 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

in my opinion the best signings premier league clubs have made so far are:

keane to the pool (unfortunately)
    gio dos santos to spurs (from barca looks brilliant)
    friedel to aston villa (been class for years now)
    ben haim to man city (a steal)

worst:
    bentley to spurs (overrated & expensive)
    diouf to sunderland (a nutter... diouf v keano could be fun to watch...)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A ball hasn't been kicked yet so kinda hard to tell....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

corban wrote: »
    in my opinion the best signings premier league clubs have made so far are:

keane to the pool (unfortuneately)
    gio dos santos to spurs (from barca looks brilliant)
    friedel to aston villa (been class for years now)
    ben haim to man city (a steal)

worst:
    bentley to spurs (overrated & expensive)
    diouf to sunderland (a nutter... diouf v keano could be fun to watch...)

Don't think Ben Haim's a steal:confused:

Bentley isn't overrated to be honest and will fit in to Spurs team very well.
    Diouf's a great signing for Keane. He may be a nutjob but he's a fantastic footballer.

How is Keane to Liverpool one of the best? They've paid OTT for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

SantryRed wrote: »

Diouf's a great signing for Keane. He may be a nutjob but he's a fantastic footballer.

When you look at how much Spurs have paid for Bentley, we've practically stolen Keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭corban

i know a ball hasn't been kicked but, but i reckon keane will fill the void liverpool have had for a few years now, no team will look forward to defending against them. he's a 15/20 goal a seaon striker.

ben haim at 5m for me is a bargain, he will fit in well next to dunne and richards.

diouf a fantastic player:confused:? we'll have to agree to disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

monkey9 wrote: »
    When you look at how much Spurs have paid for Bentley, we've practically stolen Keane

Lol bollox. Bentley is a good few years younger and just as, if not more, effective than Keane.

The price paid for Keane is highway robbery, simple as. Almost as bad as Darren Bent. There, I said it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I have a bad feeling about this guy:
    http://www.arsenal.com/player.asp?thisNav=first+team&plid=86339&clid=4421&cpid=703
    Do Arsenal really need another injury prone midfielder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

The 'pool def paid over the odds for Keane. Granted, he's a good play, but he's no way 20mil good. Rolandihno went for less money FFS!

I know Keane had a good season last, and Ron has gone off the boil, but i'd bet that Ron will have a way bigger impact at Milan than Keane will at Liverpool,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

i know a ball hasn't been kicked but, but i reckon keane will fill the void liverpool have had for a few years now,

Robbie Keane can play left wing, right wing, DM as well as alongside Torres all at the same time:eek:.

wow, what a player:D

Robbie Keane can play left wing, right wing, DM as well as alongside Torres all at the same time:eek:.

:D ok so maybe not all the voids, but the one next to torres, they now have a strike force comparible to rooney & tevez, adebayor & van persie, van nistlerooy & raul, eto & henry etc. ps: to see the pool with this firepower gives me no pleasure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I would think the best transfers, on paper anyway, so far are:

Crouch to Portsmouth
    Modric to Spurs
    Nasri to Arsenal
    Deco to Chelsea
    Friedel to Villa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

chalad07 wrote: »
    The 'pool def paid over the odds for Keane. Granted, he's a good play, but he's no way 20mil good. Rolandihno went for less money FFS!

I know Keane had a good season last, and Ron has gone off the boil, but i'd bet that Ron will have a way bigger impact at Milan than Keane will at Liverpool,

In my opinion, Keane will have a bigger impact that Ronaldinho at Milan and Bentley at Spurs

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

DM

Liverpool need a defensive midfielder?? first I've heard of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

change the thread title to predictions and we'll all have a stab. will make for some interesting discussion 6 to 8 months down the line. :D

I think Chimbonda for Sunderland could be a very good signing, perhaps of the season (now i guess it could just as easily go the other way, but i think Keane will get the best out of him).

i think Bentley will be found out. i like him but i don't think he's a 15 million pound player. Hughes was overachieving greatly with that Blackburn squad and I think some of the players there will be found out this year. I won't put him down as a contender for worst signing of the season but i don't expect great things from him like some are suggesting.

there were rumours that Samba will leave Blackburn, possibly to City. i think if he does he could end up the signing of the season. he's a player i really really like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Yeah, please tell me when exactly Liverpool have been weak in DM?

Lets see, Mascherano, Alonso, Sissoko, Hamman
    There's the last 5 years of our Defensive midfield.

Wanna try again?!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I've got high hopes for Bougherra now he's at Ibrox. Could be just what we need in beside Cuellar.

Now all we need is someone who can drive forward from midfield, and maybe score one or two freekicks and things are looking much brighter for the 'Gers

for one of the newly promoted clubs, i think hull have made a good signing from man city: Geovanni for free... if he's recovered fully from injury

mayordenis wrote: »
    Liverpool need a defensive midfielder?? first I've heard of that.
    Yeah, please tell me when exactly Liverpool have been weak in DM?

Lets see, Mascherano, Alonso, Sissoko, Hamman
    There's the last 5 years of our Defensive midfield.

Wanna try again?!
    :rolleyes:

three out of four aint bad.
    wheres your sense of humour guys, come one.:D

three out of four aint bad.
    wheres your sense of humour guys, come one.:D

I lost it in Nam.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

monkey9 wrote: »
    In my opinion, Keane will have a bigger impact that Ronaldinho at Milan and Bentley at Spurs

I do hope your right, and wish Keane all the best at Spurs, don’t think it will happen though,

Crouch to Pompey is a great transfer. I can’t understand why he wasn’t given more of a chance at Liverpool, he consistently scored goals when he played - what else can a striker do?

chalad07 wrote: »
    I do hope your right, and wish Keane all the best at Spurs, don’t think it will happen though,

Crouch to Pompey is a great transfer. I can’t understand why he wasn’t given more of a chance at Liverpool, he consistently scored goals when he played - what else can a striker do?

Well the answer isn't dance like a robot!:P

But no, Crouch was underused.
    Rafa wanted him as an impact sub, but Crouch is too good for the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

:D ok so maybe not all the voids, but the one next to torres, they now have a strike force comparible to rooney & tevez, adebayor & van persie, van nistlerooy & raul, eto & henry etc. ps: to see the pool with this firepower gives me no pleasure

keane is the weak link, not in the class of any of the names mentioned.

i think Bentley will be found out. i like him but i don't think he's a 15 million pound player. .

I hope you are right but it pains me to say I think spurs have got a good player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Archimedes wrote: »
    I would think the best transfers, on paper anyway, so far are:

Crouch to Portsmouth
    Modric to Spurs
    Nasri to Arsenal
    Deco to Chelsea
    Friedel to Villa

Crouch to Portsmouth? :pac: They paid what 10m for him. Are you having a laugh. Agree Deco to Chelsea looks like the best siging so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

pure guesswork as no ball kicked in anger yet but....

Good
    • keane to liverpool will be a big success, but its a lot of money
    • Crouch to Portsmouth is just the right team and level for him, the new Les Ferdinand
    • Bently to spurs is the value deal of the summer, he'll be a sure fire hit
    • Zoltan Gera to fulham, simply because I always liked him, will hook up well with Jimmy Bullard and get about 6-7 goals
    • Heurelho Gomes to spurs, looks like quality, the final piece in the puzzle for the spurs defence?
    • Toulahan from Lyon to Arsenal (In my dreams....)deal of the summer
    Bad
    • Paul Ince to Blackburn(gets rid of friedel and bentley, what next Cruz?)oh yeah, and he buys Robbie Fowler...D'oh
    • Johan Elmander to Bolton,10 Mil????? 3 goals in 20 games, sold next season ffrom Championship for 2.3 Mil
    Ugly
    • Andrea Dossena to Liverpool, expect yellow and red cards aplenty
    • Scott Carson to West brom - dean kiely gets kicked in the balls again.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I have a bad feeling about this guy:
    http://www.arsenal.com/player.asp?thisNav=first+team&plid=86339&clid=4421&cpid=703
    Do Arsenal really need another injury prone midfielder?

yeah he's injured at the moment, but what makes you think he's injury prone on that basis? no one knows much about him. would be better to wait and give him a chance before we judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

For me the best so far is Bosingwa to Chelsea. We might have payed too much for him but money is irrelevant for us. On the positive side he'll let Essien play in centre midfield again and never have to go back to right back for one. Second, it shows that with Cole on the left we'll probably be using wing backs signalling a nice attacking Chelsea.

Worst so far is Deco. He's over the hill, won't get close to the first XI and his game probably won't suit the Premiership

Bargain so far is certainly Cattermole to Wigan. Really young, has bags of potential, is a leader. Really like him

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Ugly
    • Andrea Dossena to Liverpool, expect yellow and red cards aplenty

That's cool with me need people showing some emotion on the pitch. like the cut of his jib

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Bubs101 wrote: »
    For me the best so far is Bosingwa to Chelsea. We might have payed too much for him but money is irrelevant for us. On the positive side he'll let Essien play in centre midfield again and never have to go back to right back for one. Second, it shows that with Cole on the left we'll probably be using wing backs signalling a nice attacking Chelsea.

i actually think that Bosingwa to Chelsea is awful business, especially for that kind of money.

i think the bloke is ****e, have done any time i've seen him.

supposedly the porto fans wanted him sold and wanted ferrera (who wasnt good enough for Chelsea) to take his place.

think it'll prove to be awful business.

Mr Alan wrote: »

supposedly the porto fans wanted him sold and wanted ferrera (who wasnt good enough for Chelsea) to take his place.

+1

I think Miguel would have played had he been fully fit in the championships in the summer. Bosingwa made some terrible defensive passes and looked weak when challenged with pace and numbers.

I also think Deco will prove to be a quality signing for scolari, would not be surprised if he popped up in a coachiong role with Scolri in a few years. He will play 25+ games easily this season and be very effective.
    He's the best and most innteligent passer of a ball at chelsea now.

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    That's cool with me need people showing some emotion on the pitch. like the cut of his jib

Andrea Dossena

Season 2005/06 Team Treviso
    Games started : 19
    yellow Cards: 5
    red cards: 1

Season 2006/07 Team Udinese
    Games started : 21
    yellow Cards: 3
    red cards: 1

Season 2007/08 Team Udinese
    Games started : 35
    yellow Cards: 6
    red cards: 2

Imagine in the huff and puff of the Prem....yikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

The only reason Bosingwa will turn out to be a good signing is that it will move Essien into a more natural midfield position, and he can start to show once again why he is one of the top 3 players in the world imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Worst signings to me are :
    Robbie Fowler , Johan Elmander

Singings I think may be a sucess :
    Keane, Freidal, Digard and Emne at Boro, Crouch,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Will be great signings;

Ibagaza (Villareal from Mallorca, watch him amaze)
    Van Der Vaart
    Pique
    Alves
    Ujfalusi (Very under the radar signing, exactly what Atletico need for Europe)
    Amauri (Looking devastating in pre-season)
    Flamini (Amazing signing on a free)

Ya ya ya... No premier league signings, bite my balls. Actually, Nasri may set the EPL on fire.

Good solid signings;

Hleb
    Muntari
    Garay
    Bentley
    Deco
    Poulsen
    Keita

Potentially horrible signing but could go the other way and become great;

Gio Dos Santos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

eZe^ wrote: »
    Gio Dos Santos

If he was that great, Barcelona wouldn't have let him go for 7mil and bigger clubs would have been bidding for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

How does everyone think Crouch is a good signing? Benitez got 10 million for a player with only a year left on his contract.

If he doesn't score 20 goals this season I'll see it as a bad buy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i actually think that Bosingwa to Chelsea is awful business, especially for that kind of money.

From the sound of it you've never seen him play for Porto and whenever I have (which is quite alot, Betfair TV ftw)he's impressed me. Also, it'll change the way we play completely. Bosingwa and Cole will not be told to stay back at all which is great, maybe a bit of free flowing football at the Bridge.

As for the people thinking Deco is a good signing, really can't see him getting in ahead of Essien, Ballack, Lampard and Mikel, considering Makalele is gone and we need somebody to fill that role. Waste of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Fowler is still on trial to everyone saying he's a crap signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I think Keano has made some shrewd signings this summer (for once!) particulary with Chimbonda and Malbranque. Think they will greatly improve the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Dos Santos will be a great signing.

I think Keano has made some shrewd signings this summer (for once!) particulary with Chimbonda and Malbranque. Think they will greatly improve the team.

i agree, and if he manages to get saha and one or two others he could be looking at a seaon free of relegation worries...

i must say that blackburn signing fowler just looks ridiculous...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

If he was that great, Barcelona wouldn't have let him go for 7mil and bigger clubs would have been bidding for him.

Barcelona are trying to change their regime of keeping pre madonna's who believe they are bigger than the club. Santos was demanding more starts, no 18 year old in world football should be demanding starts, especially at the highest level.

i agree, and if he manages to get saha and one or two others he could be looking at a seaon free of relegation worries...

With the amount of money he is spending/has spent, a battle with relegation is surely unthinkable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Gera is a great acquisition for Fulham. He'll have bad games, but when he's good he's worth points.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    With the amount of money he is spending/has spent, a battle with relegation is surely unthinkable?

well i suppose it is now with stoke and hull in the premier, but i think he will find it hard to get the best out of some of his players who played last season. he needs at least 3 more players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Gera is a great acquisition for Fulham. He'll have bad games, but when he's good he's worth points.

A great signing for Fulham, but I was disgusted to see him leave West Brom for another club who pretty much fight against relegation every year anyway.

We've lost our best player to a rival club and it could cost us at the end of the season.

How does everyone think Crouch is a good signing? Benitez got 10 million for a player with only a year left on his contract.

If he doesn't score 20 goals this season I'll see it as a bad buy.

Unless Defoe scores 25, Crouch and Defoe get 35 between them.

If a player is in demand then it doesn't really matter how long is left on his contract. I wouldn't call it a good signing though, because €11m would be about right, although when you read about €25m for Arshavin and €20m for Keane, it's daylight robbery:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

[/LIST]Bad
    • Paul Ince to Blackburn(gets rid of friedel and bentley, what next Cruz?)oh yeah, and he buys Robbie Fowler...D'oh

he did not get rid of them, they wanted to leave....

and he did not buy robbie fowler, no money was exchanged and no contract has been offered as of yet

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'll go with Jo to be the worst signing and Nasri to be the best, although the latter won't be confirmed as such for another two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

I think Everton have made the best signings this season, hands down. Apparantly they signed a promising up and coming tea lady, and a new ballboy.....exciting times ahead at goodison!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Saha to Sunderland is BRILLIANT!! He's injury prone yes but he'ld be brilliant!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement