Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Video files on the 360

• 01-08-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

I never tried streaming video files from my pc to my 360 as they are both in two different rooms and its awkward,but I only recently found out I could put a video file onto a usb key,plug the key into the 360 and it plays.

Only problem is,when the file plays it doesn't fit the screen. I have a 32inch widescreen and the file has both sides cut off. Obviously is because of the file itself and how it is usually on a small pc screen,but is there anyway to make it fit the full screen? either by doing something with the 360 settings or with the file itself?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you press the A button on your controller, a menu will pop up at the bottom of the screen. One of the options (about 3rd or 4th from the right) allows you to change screen size between letterbox, actual, stretch etc. That should do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Curious though... whats awkward about streaming? My PC is upstairs and my Xbox is downstairs, and streaming works perfectly. No stuttering (which I find DOES happen if I try to stream from a USB drive!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I've got two floors between my PC and my Xbox, connecting wirelessly and haven't had any problems with streaming movies from PC to the Xbox.

TVersity is your friend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Mr E wrote: »
    Curious though... whats awkward about streaming? My PC is upstairs and my Xbox is downstairs, and streaming works perfectly. No stuttering (which I find DOES happen if I try to stream from a USB drive!)

well the first problem would be I dont have a wireless networking adapter and i aint about to pay 80quid for one! :p My live is connected to the router downstairs by the ethernet cable,which is connected to a really old pc that barely works. my own pc is in my room upstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

tvnutz wrote: »
    well the first problem would be I dont have a wireless networking adapter and i aint about to pay 80quid for one! :p My live is connected to the router downstairs by the ethernet cable,which is connected to a really old pc that barely works. my own pc is in my room upstairs.

is it a wireless enabled router? if so, just get a wireless card for the upstairs PC and that'll connect it all nicely. wireless NICs can be found pretty reasonably priced online (e.g. ebay, komplett). a hell of a lot cheaper that the xbox wireless thingy that you dont need considering the router is a cables length from it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

theteal wrote: »
    is it a wireless enabled router? if so, just get a wireless card for the upstairs PC and that'll connect it all nicely. wireless NICs can be found pretty reasonably priced online (e.g. ebay, komplett). a hell of a lot cheaper that the xbox wireless thingy that you dont need considering the router is a cables length from it

i've had a lot of trouble streaming AVI's over wireless... any other traffic on the network and the movies become unwatchable. You'll get a much more stable connection if you hook it up through an ethernet cable.

The USB key route should work fine, just make sure its formatted with FAT or the XBox wont recognise it. Also note that it wont play DivX that are older than version 5... so you might need to re-encode those older movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

It also wont play anything in the .mkv container. I hope they add h.264 support eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

I stream from my pc to xbox via network cable and it works great. Also, I think the new dashboard update will allow video files to be copied to the xbox hard disk which will be even better.

Advertisement