Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Double Yellow lines, just what do they mean?

Options
  • 01-08-2008 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

I'm having a noise problem on my street with trucks. Local companies are using the street for unloading and loading of their trucks in the early hours of the morning. I posted a question about it over on Accommodation & Property about noise levels. But what I'm interested to know here is just what a double yellow line means?

There might be six or seven eighteen wheeler trucks parked up on our street being unloaded and other vans being loaded. The street has double yellow lines on both sides. Some of those trucks and vans will be there for hours. So can I have them moved on?

I'm not against these people running their business but it's just so busy now at times it's gone too far. They're not having any consideration for the people who live here at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If there is no official area for them to unload / load then I guess they are allowed to be there within certain hours but check with council to see if they should only be there at a certain time. Certainly not allowed to park for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭Soarer

I was always thought that a single yellow line meant "No parking at all", and a double yellow line meant "No parking at all, at all!". ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Old joke:
    Single yellow line - you can't park there at all.
    Double yellow line - you can't park there at all, at all.

Carry on...

Dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭Soarer

Beaten to it!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

There are no signs showing any hours or exemptions so I think there's supposedly no parking any any time. But I'll check.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's no parking. But as I understand it - and I am open to correction - if the vehicle is accompanied it is stopped rather than parked (thus clearway signs forbidding parking and stopping)

nipplenuts wrote: »
    It's no parking. But as I understand it - and I am open to correction - if the vehicle is accompanied it is stopped rather than parked (thus clearway signs forbidding parking and stopping)

I suppose that's what I'm wondering really, if the drivers are hanging about does that mean they can effectively park up.

Is it the local superintendent I should talk to about this or who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Joseph Kuhr

Exactly. Loading and unloading is not considered parking. I think it is different for commercial vehicles, non commercial vehicles can only load and unload people but not goods. commercial vehicles can do both. I'm not sure where I got that from though so I'm open for correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

meglome wrote: »
    I suppose that's what I'm wondering really, if the drivers are hanging about does that mean they can effectively park up.

Is it the local superintendent I should talk to about this or who?

I'd talk to the council - they are responsible for the way the roads are used, and things like pollution and noise levels.

I'd talk to the council - they are responsible for the way the roads are used, and things like pollution and noise levels.

Well I'm definitely talking to the council anyway so that's good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

they mean NO PARKING at any time.
    you can legally call the garda and complain and they can enforce the road act on them for being stopped on double yellow lines, wether or not you get a squad car down is another question though.

but if you keep ringing thm, they have to show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They have 30 minutes to park on double yellow lines (assuming htere isn't another offence being committed also, e.g. too close to junction, traffic lights, etc.)

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html

Non-application of certain Prohibitions and Restrictions
    5. (2) Save where otherwise expressly provided in these Regulations, a prohibition on the entry of a vehicle to a road or an area or the prohibition on the stopping or parking of a vehicle imposed by these Regulations shall not apply to—

(e) a prohibition on the parking of a vehicle imposed by article 36(2)(a) shall not apply to a vehicle parked while goods are being loaded in or on to it or unloaded from it, for a period not exceeding thirty minutes from the commencement of the parking.

Prohibitions on Parking

36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5, a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose referred to in this article.

(2) A vehicle shall not be parked—

( a ) on that side of a section of roadway along the edge of which traffic sign number RRM 008 [double yellow lines] has been provided;

Also http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/si/0179.html

Thanks Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You would want to consider any complaint carefully. It is possible that the double yellows were installed by default with the intention of prohibiting parking during the day. The company could lobby the council to have them changed to single lines or made into a loading bay/dedicated truck parking area. You would then be in a worse position. Try ear plugs!

(Are you in the vicinity of the Dublin Fruit & Vegetable market by any chance?)

meglome wrote: »
    There might be six or seven eighteen wheeler trucks
    Apologies for being pedantic but 18 wheelers are extremely rare in Ireland. Most articulated trucks operating in Ireland or the UK are 12 or 14 wheelers. (The 3 axle trailers have 6 'super single' wheels - not 12 ;)).

You would want to consider any complaint carefully. It is possible that the double yellows were installed by default with the intention of prohibiting parking during the day. The company could lobby the council to have them changed to single lines or made into a loading bay/dedicated truck parking area. You would then be in a worse position. Try ear plugs!

(Are you in the vicinity of the Dublin Fruit & Vegetable market by any chance?)

Well I'm on Green street which has the Special Criminal court on it so I don't think the double yellow lines are going to go unless the court does. It's close to the markets but it wasn't an issue in the past, It's just got busier over recent times.
    Apologies for being pedantic but 18 wheelers are extremely rare in Ireland. Most articulated trucks operating in Ireland or the UK are 12 or 14 wheelers. (The 3 axle trailers have 6 'super single' wheels - not 12 ;)).

A mixture of big trucks, seemed like the easiest way to say it. Very pedantic btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Special Criminal Court may move to Infirmary Road - all the criminal courts are being moved there.

The Fruit & Vegetable market are scheduled for redevelopment.

Victor wrote: »
    The Special Criminal Court may move to Infirmary Road - all the criminal courts are being moved there.

The Fruit & Vegetable market are scheduled for redevelopment.

Very true but I'm hoping it isn't going to be in 5 years.

Advertisement