Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roof in trouble?

• 01-08-2008 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I am not sure if this is the correct forum...mods please move it not.

Could someone take a look at the attached photo and tell me what they think? This is a photo of my roof, its less than 6 years old and during the last couple of months I have noticed the wavy concave appearance (most notable above the left most skylight) noted in the photos, should I be concerned?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Tiling battens , at the least appear to be over stressed . Keep "an aye out" for slates slipping .

Look internally - is there any sign of cracking in the plasterboard ceiling - horizontal , running across , not along the roof slope . Even hairline cracks - i.e. where two sheets of plasterboard join before the overskim

If so monitor them to see if they get wider . Draw a perfect X accross the crack ( in pencil ) .

\/
    --
    /\ ( best I can do - sorry )

Monitor over weeks / months to see if X distorts .

If it does this could indicate that the rafters have not been trimmed correctly

That is - at either side of the velux the rafters should have doubled up . If this was not done then the sagging may be due to overstressed rafters .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Tiling battens , at the least appear to be over stressed . Keep "an aye out" for slates slipping .

Look internally - is there any sign of cracking in the plasterboard ceiling - horizontal , running across , not along the roof slope . Even hairline cracks - i.e. where two sheets of plasterboard join before the overskim

If so monitor them to see if they get wider . Draw a perfect X accross the crack ( in pencil ) .

\/
    --
    /\ ( best I can do - sorry )

Monitor over weeks / months to see if X distorts .

If it does this could indicate that the rafters have not been trimmed correctly

That is - at either side of the velux the rafters should have doubled up . If this was not done then the sagging may be due to overstressed rafters .

Thanks. There doesn't seem to be any cracks at all on the ceiling. It is a dormer if that makes any difference.

What if it is overstressed rafters? Can I leave it / fix it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

The photo does not look like a dormer ? - just sloped roof with veluxes

Overstressed rafters will not usually collapse unless overstressed significantly .
    But they may still cause a hazard by deflections which cause slates to slip . And disfigure internal decorations with cracks - and put buyers ( who they ? ) off .

It is possible to carry out remedial works - but not pretty . Such as plaster cut away to insert additional rafters - pain in the swiss .

You should ask an experienced engineer to investigate and report .

Don't just rely on posts here .

Sorry for being a muppet here but what type of engineer? Are they contactable in the golden pages etc.?

p.s does the fact its a dormer bungalow make any difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

I would say there is an issue of some description with that roof, I am not going to speculate as I am anything but an expert. Best call one in, a structural engineer is what you need.

I would guess even an examination of the roof will be tricky but best to get it done before it gets any worse.... which it might well do....

B.

• Advertisement

Thanks.. I will try and sort that out. Does anyone know if this type of structural damage might be covered in typical house building insurance?

p.s To Kadman.....thanks for the advice...I can't PM you back for some reason though.

Should be under builders warranty, any major structural defects within 10 years.

Should be under builders warranty, any major structural defects within 10 years.

Well this builder wasn't homebound but did put a 6 year warranty in writting. Trouble is, this guy is a cowboy and I would suspect he would bankrupt him self before agreeing to fix this.

Anyone know how much a structural engineer might charge (ballpark) from look at this roof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

I would guess €500 - €750 for an initial dilapidation assessment inlcusive of written report. I know a very good guy. If you would like details PM me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement