Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking unpasteurized cheese - does it make it safe?

• 01-08-2008 4:08pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just made some food for the baby from a recommended recipe book. The recipe included gruyere cheese. Prepared and cooked the whole dish then realized the cheese wasn't unpasteurized.

Would cooking the food (which we did) have the same affect as the pasteurization process in regards to killing off any unwanted bacteria?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Yes. Pasteurising is essentially the application of heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I assume this would also apply to baby (outside of womb!)
    http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/nutrition/foodsafety/cheeseexpert/

"However, thorough cooking should kill any listeria, so it should be safe to eat these cheeses in cooked food. Before you eat it, though, make sure it has been properly cooked and is piping hot all the way through. "

"All hard cheeses are generally considered safe to eat. The Food Standards Agency states that listeria is present in these cheeses in extremely low numbers and they are therefore not considered a risk during pregnancy. "

http://www.norbitoncheese.co.uk/stock/Stock.aspx?LinkID=4&SubLinkID=69

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Exactly what I was looking for olaola, thanks. I knew what the process involved so I figured it was ok, can't be too careful with a baby though.

Thanks to you both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭balon

Should be just fine as long as it was heated for long enough. More than just the application of heat, pasteurisation is heating to a certain temperature for a certain length of time. The lower the temperature, the longer the time required and vice versa...

e.g the requirements for milk pasteurisation are
    63° C for not less than 30 min or
    72° C for not less than 16 sec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Exactly what I was looking for olaola, thanks. I knew what the process involved so I figured it was ok, can't be too careful with a baby though.

Thanks to you both :)

No problemo! I was making a birthday cake for a pregnant friend this week, which involved soft cheese and eggs so I had to do some research before I knew I wouldn't poision her (and the babs).

• Advertisement
Advertisement