Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Vocalists?

Options
  • 01-08-2008 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Male and Female. Think of actual voice rather than lyrical content and song writing. (Dylan, Cohen and Cash would fall into the latter imo, of course you may disagree.)

Male: The worthy contenders for me would be Beck, Jeff Buckley, Brandon Boyd but the winner goes to Thom Yorke. He's always had a beautiful voice but the way he used it on The Eraser and In Rainbows is enough to convince me that he's one of the best definitely.

Female: Sade, as soulful and emotional as Nina Simone and Tracy Chapman but at the same time gorgeously feminine. Eva Cassidy had a beautiful voice too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

Good thread, I think Johnny Cash has great voice, it sounds like its made of iron! Also Bob Dylans voice on Nashville Skyline is really smooth i lubbs it.

Others I like would be Regine (i think thats her name?) from arcade fire, shes real nice haunting voice. Agree with Nina Simone she has a wonderful voice! Levon Helm from the band has one of the best voices, specially with that southern tinge y'all. Ian Curtis too hes a good strong voice. Billie Holiday has voice of an angel too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Kold wrote: »

Male: The worthy contenders for me would be Beck, Jeff Buckley, Brandon Boyd but the winner goes to Thom Yorke. He's always had a beautiful voice but the way he used it on The Eraser and In Rainbows is enough to convince me that he's one of the best definitely.

Haha seriously? Thom used to have an amazing voice but it's totally gone to hell in the last eight years or so. He really sounds bad and just seems to mumble or wail through songs now. It's especially noticable when he tries to sing older songs live. That said though, I have tremendous respect for the band since they've adapted and changed and are still making great music despite Thoms inability to sing.

Anyway, for male it's got to be Mark Lanegan. That dry gravelly sandpaper like voice of his works perfectly on every project he's ever done.

As far as females go I Bjork wins. Seriously amazing voice so emotive and expressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Creature wrote: »
    Haha seriously? Thom used to have an amazing voice but it's totally gone to hell in the last eight years or so. He really sounds bad and just seems to mumble or wail through songs now. It's especially noticable when he tries to sing older songs live. That said though, I have tremendous respect for the band since they've adapted and changed and are still making great music despite Thoms inability to sing.

:eek: Nude? Analyse? Scatterbrain? Jigsaw? It's the wailing that's so great. If you listened to instrumental versions of The Eraser you'd see how much his voice makes the songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Thom Yorkes voice on the song 'Reckoner' is his best vocal performance on a track, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Male: Bowie, especially on Wild Is The Wind, Teenage Wildlife, the Young Americans album.

Prince.

Garry Shider of Parliament-Funkadelic.

André 3000.

Female: Róisín Murphy.

June Tyson.

Elza Soares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

Carl Wilson, Ryan Adams, Michael Stipe, Joni Mitchell, Frank Sinatra - all with different styles.

Jeff Buckley was arguably the best singer i've heard when he showed restraint (e.g. Lilac Wine, Hallelujah) but too often he went off on a self-indulgent vocal tanget, almost as if to say "look what I can do", especially on the closing parts of songs. Half the songs on Grace, I skip to the next track about a minute or two before the end rather than listen to him caterwaul his way to the finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I have to concur with Thom Yorke and Bjork. Amazing voices.

Another great female vocalist I'd mention is Kim Deal. Her voice is so sweet and restrained - you could lost in forever. Her harmonies with sister Kelley are gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Tony Bennett
    Kate Bush
    Freddie Mercury
    Carl Wilson

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Female: Beth Orton, Bjork, Tori Amos, Hope Sandoval, Beth Gibbons

Male: (Young) Brett Anderson, Thom Yorke, Tim Booth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Early Neil Young

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Peter Cetera

Karen Carpenter

Billy Holiday

Jim Reeves

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Another great female vocalist I'd mention is Kim Deal. Her voice is so sweet and restrained - you could lost in forever. Her harmonies with sister Kelley are gorgeous.

True. Very, very true. She has a very seductive voice. Full of character.

Also, like or loathe her, Sinead O'Connor has a beautiful voice. Incredibly powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Creature wrote: »
    Anyway, for male it's got to be Mark Lanegan. That dry gravelly sandpaper like voice of his works perfectly on every project he's ever done.

+1 for Mark Lanegan, an incredibly talented vocalist. Underated as well IMO. As for other males, Joe Strummer (especially his post-Clash stuff) and Nick Cave.

And females: Dusty Springfield such a sultry, sexy voice. Jenny Lewis of Rilo Kiley and Beth Gibbons of Portishead get my vote as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Prince has a ridiculous voice. It shouldn't be possible for someone to have the range he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Male:

Mikeal Akerfeldt(Opeth)
    Roy Khan(Kamelot)
    James LaBrie(Dream Theater)
    Neal Morse(Spock's Beard, Transatlantic)
    Steve Wilson(Porcupine Tree)
    Cedric Zavala(The Mars Volta)
    Justin Furstenfeld(Blue October)
    Daniel Gildenlöw(Pain of Salvation)
    Mike Patton(Faith No More)
    Matt Bellamy(Muse)
    Kevin Barnes(Of Montreal)
    Jim Morrison(the Doors)
    Stuart Murdoch(Belle and Sebastian)

Female:

Cristina Scabbia(Lacuna Coil)
    Bjork
    Beth Orton
    Fiona Apple
    Illaria Graziano
    Floor Jansen(After Forever)
    Tarja Turunen(Nightwish)

thats all i can think of right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Male: Phil lyynott, Prince, matt bellamy ( from muse... )

Female: No female singers have the bass required to sing rock music so... Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Chris Cornell surely deserves a mention here. The strongest vocals I have ever heard in rock. Paul Stanley's range is impressive and he doesn't lose any of his charisma while doing it. As for the ladies, Emily Haine of Metric has a really unique voice with a really nice whiney quality

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Maynard Keenan - Tool
    Layne Staley - Alice in Chains

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Agree with the people who said Matt Bellamy and Chris Cornell, 2 fantastic voices though I dunno if Cornell can cut it anymore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

David Gilmour from Pink Floyd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭tinkletoes

Neil Young:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Myles Kennedy, Alter Bridge.

I envy his range more than anything

Give reasons/evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Outside of heavy rock/metal vocalists, I would have to go with Neill Finn from Crowded House. The tone of his voice for me is a joy to behold.

Female - Bonnie Raitt or maybe to a lesser degree Julianne Regan from All About Eve. Again with those two its the tone of the voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

'Ol wrote:
    Others I like would be Regine (i think thats her name?) from arcade fire, shes real nice haunting voice.

Didn't expect to see her in this thread, certainly not that early - I love her voice, but I think it's kind of an acquired taste. I know a lot of people who can't stand it, they keep complaining that it's "out of tune", and then I have to kick them in the ears until they can hear it correctly. :D

Emily Haines is another, I absolutely love her voice. Neko Case and Cat Power, too, I could listen to those three singing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Cat Power.
    www.myspace.com/catpower
    Fantastic voice, listen to her quite a lot. She can take any song (see her two covers CDs) and make it her own.

Leonard Cohen.
    "Only in Canada could somebody with a voice like mine win 'Vocalist of the Year'"
    especially from 10 New Songs on.....that voice eh?

Jenny Lewis (From Rilo Kiley)
    www.myspace.com/rilokiley
    I've always loved her voice, her delivery is perfect. There was a vulnurability in her voice for years but it seems to have passed. Her solo album is worth checking too.

Andy Irvine
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRg6X1sHBt4
    Andy has a fantastic voice. One of my favourite folk singers, the above clip is him covering Woody Guthrie. Billy Bragg is among his fans, I've seen him live a few times and nobody does it like him.

Beth Orton
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV9V-kU621s
    click and learn.

----

^I'd agree about Emily Haines, another fantastic voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Ah, Holy Hell, yes, Jenny Lewis.

I far prefer her solo stuff though, Rilo Kiley just isn't as weird and interesting any more. I really think Born Secular is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

best female vocals:

Bjork
    Sinead o Connor
    Amerie
    Ny
    Tori Amos
    Beth from Portishead
    Sade
    India Arie
    Amy Lee (evanscene)

Male:
    Joe
    Johnny Cash
    Ginuwine
    Serg form Tool (while not really mt thing)
    Thom Yorke
    Micheal Buble (just think the swing thing he does it so well..while i dont listen to it much)

• Advertisement

Male:

Serg form Tool (while not really mt thing)
    Micheal Buble (just think the swing thing he does it so well..while i dont listen to it much)

Maynard is the lead singer from Tool, you may be thinking of Serj Tankian from System of a Down? As for Michael Buble, heard him for the first time the other day, just seems like a cheesier Rufus to me.

Advertisement