Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Vocalists?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭edgesgirl

Can you really truly choose a best vocalist? are we talking soulfully or technically best? Do you have a specific genre?
    Sorry, I'm new here....:confused::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Smoky Robinson

Stevie Nicks

No explanation should be necessary for anybody with ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

edgesgirl wrote: »
    Can you really truly choose a best vocalist? are we talking soulfully or technically best? Do you have a specific genre?
    Sorry, I'm new here....:confused::P

I'm talking about using ones voice to enhance the music in the way that another artist would not pull it off. Other than that, open to interpretation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Stevie Nicks

+1 - I absolutely love her voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Smokey Robinson

+1 - I absolutely love her his voice.

Heeheeeee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i'm gonna say paul rodgers (free, and bad company....and now with queen), amazing voice! and steve tyler...the man can sing anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sir Graball

Male:

Tom Waits - like gravel in a blender
    Stephen Stills- if you like harmonies look no further
    Warren Zevon - just for his range ( RIP)
    Richard what's his name in Psychedelic Furs -pure menace
    Freddie White- Best voice we ever produced

Female

Joni Mitchell- highs and lows -literally
    Aimee Mann- many try to emulate and fail
    Kate Bush- what can you say, gets better with age
    Sinead Lohan ( whatever happened to her?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Another great female voice I'll add is a Hungarian girl called Magdi Ruzsa, who's a blues singer.
    She won the Hungarian version of Pop Idol and represented Hungary in the Eurovision in 2007, coming 9th.

Trust me, she's a LOT better than that description makes her sound. She has an incredibly powerful voice and fantastic range.

Look her up on Youtube. She is a real powerhouse performer. She's sometimes been referred to as the "Hungarian Janis Joplin."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭the iceman come

Just thought I would resurect this thread I simply cannot believe no- had mentioned JEFF BUCKLEY , I mean WOW:eek:

As for the ladies

Karen Carpenter ,perfect pitch and the best female drummer of all time all rolled into one.

End of thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭the iceman come

okay before anyone mentions it, I see he has been mentioned quite a few times too

(slaps himself on side of head) :o

• Advertisement

Having got some Cat Power in the last year, yes her voice is sexy as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I really like Scott Walker's voice - some of his later stuff is really an acquired taste though.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

Female it has to be Joni Mitchell or Janis Joplin (can't believe how little shes got a mention in this thread) Honorable mention to PJ Harvey loving her at the moment.

Male I would say John Lennon (especially when his voice gets all scratchy and loud on Twist and Shout and the end of Mother and he's still really soulful on stuff like Working Class Hero and Julia) or maybe Jim Morrision.

Hard to pick one though my opinion would propbarly totally change by next week.:P

@Ollie:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=99692&stc=1&d=1261451649

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Not sure if he has been named yet.... Peter Cetera.

Another would be Karen Carpenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

Male - Eddie Vedder, Gary Stringer (Reef), Nick Cave, Otis Redding, Robert Plant.
    Female - Amy Lee, Adele, Aretha Franklin, Grace Slick

Advertisement