Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Octavia vRS (diesel)

Options
  • 01-08-2008 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying one of the diesel Octavia vRS's ('07). Just wondered if anyone out there has one and what they think of it? What sort of a return on mpg i can expect? It says a combined figure of 48.9 mpg can be achieved but can you ever trust these manufacturers figures? Also,are the service bills any higher than say the 1.9 tdi? On paper it looks like a cracking engine with bucket loads of torque but i need something that is somewhat economical (50 mpg?). Any realistic/expierienced reviews of one of these would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭400R

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

I think you might be better off registering and posting this question on www.briskoda.com.
    For what its worth I haven't got experience of the vrs but I did have a Octavia 1.9 tdi and no matter what way I drove it I got avg about 60mpg. I would say that the 170bhp vrs may be about 10% heavier on the juice so you're still probably looking at probably around 50mpg.
    Regards service costs. It will have variable service intervals - service approx every 30k or 1 year whichever comes soonest.
    Skoda dealers in the Pale charge approx €250 for a basic service (not cheap) go down the country and you can get it done a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Its also worth knowing that since a few months ago, the vRS diesel got CR(Common Rail) injection instead of PD(Pumpe Deuse).I'm not sure what difference if any this makes to performance but it should mean better fuel economy if there was any progress.It definately has lower emissions and is quieter.Worth bearing in mind if youre tempted by a brand new car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭poreilly101

The new common rail diesel engine is the same engine that is used in the new Audi A4TDI. The CR engine is much smoother and also the noise produced from the new engine is much less that the old model.

Take a test drive in the new model, with the reduced VRT you may walk out of a dealership with a new RS for about €27.5K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

The CR engine is NOT in the VRS its in the Superb 2 and Audi A4 only.

• Advertisement

Skoda's official UK site would have to disagree with you on that one

http://www.skoda.co.uk/ourcars.aspx

Go to the octavia and look under facts and figures.It clearly states CR for the 2.0 diesel

Afaik, every VAG car with the 170bhp 2.0 diesel now has CR injection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

It's available in the RS now...

170bhp for €29,285 or with the DSG box for €32,690

the rs probably has wider wheels - that means higher consumption than the comparison TDIs

also - I know your looking at a 07 model but isnt it cheaper to import the 08 RS from the UK than buy one here
    should check prices up north and the vrt claculator!

may be worth checkin for a used RS in the UK

the rs probably has wider wheels - that means higher consumption than the comparison TDIs

also - I know your looking at a 07 model but isnt it cheaper to import the 08 RS from the UK than buy one here

It maybe cheaper but UK vRS' s are not as well specced in standard state as the Irish models.The main extras the irish model has are; Dual zone climate control(As opposed to Manual AC on UK models), Centre Armrest with intregrated "Jumbo box",Rear electric windows, Free Metalic paint(White and Red are the only solid colours available btw).There may be some other small differences in spec btu they are the main ones afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Zonda999 wrote: »
    It maybe cheaper but UK vRS' s are not as well specced in standard state as the Irish models.The main extras the irish model has are; Dual zone climate control(As opposed to Manual AC on UK models), Centre Armrest with intregrated "Jumbo box",Rear electric windows, Free Metalic paint(White and Red are the only solid colours available btw).There may be some other small differences in spec btu they are the main ones afaik

I think the UK ones are also missing Tunnel (Auto) Lights, MaxiDot (lets you adjust lots of settings via the onboard computer), auto-dimming rear view mirror, and possibly autosensing wipers.

OP - it depends on your driving style of course, but I don't think I ever saw more than 40mpg on my vRS TDI. I average about 38mpg. That's on a 25mile each way commute with a mixture of country and city driving. Maybe if I drove like a granny I'd get better. It's still a lot better than I could achieve on a vRS petrol, but if fuel economy was my top priority I wouldn't be looking at an RS model in either option...

• Advertisement

i was referring to the Op, who is looking at the 07 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭400R

Yes totally agree with you there. Problem is i need to sell my current car privately to do that and i can't.( http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=65131&cat=2) So a trade in is my only option :(
    Belive me if i could get it sold private i would be buying from the UK and it wouldn't be a Skoda either!:D I could have a '06 BMW 320d ES for the same money as i'm spending!

prefer the skoda. The E90 is fugly.

prefer the skoda. The E90 is fugly.

Absolutely, the octavia would also be much better equiped unless you get a 320d with a s**t load of extras.They really are very basic in their standard specs

Zonda999 wrote: »
    hmboards wrote: »
    I think the UK ones are also missing Tunnel (Auto) Lights, MaxiDot (lets you adjust lots of settings via the onboard computer), auto-dimming rear view mirror, and possibly autosensing wipers.

wow thanks for that! interesting!! didnt realise the specs were different! So used to UK specs being better for so many years before! Have irish specs gotten better then UK specs across the board?

Wonder how the figures add up if you include those extras on a UK model!

Certainly not accross the board, its a shame to say.The vRS is very much an exception.I think that Skoda uk want tthe vRS to be very competitvie on price over there so they have to skimp on equipment.In general, cars over there are better specced than here.Air con, in particular is standard on a lot more models

Advertisement