Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banning From Soccer. Too Harsh?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭Charlie

mike65 wrote: »
    No, we stole his wheels.

Mike.

Yeah, I was wondering who the lads outside with the big curly afros and dodgy tashes were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Charlie, you know the score in soccer and why the mods have to be such utter tyrants at times (;))

sure a month will be gone before you know it. twill only be by then that we'll actually have something to talk about anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Also, the only warnings I got was after a rick rollin, and that was in the thread I posted the link, not a pm. I didn't see this warning until after I received my banning and went back through the threads looking for it.

could something be done to ensure that this sort of thing doesn't happen ? Most users do not read back over previous posts to see if they have received warnings etc. This issue was a factor in my last ban from soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I actually really dislike most of his contributions on the Liverpool thread in particular but a month banning for this is slighty OTT when you consider the punishment that was handed out for this:
    CHD wrote:
    I put the tags Manc twats in the ManYoo forum, Scouse twats in L'pool forum and other stupid trollish things in other threads in Soccer.I was completely out of line and imo my actions were worse. I received a weeks ban.

Being strong handed is one thing but when there is an obvious disparity between the punishment being handed out, you are always going to have someone feeling hard done by and someone arguing in their favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The Muppet wrote: »
    could something be done to ensure that this sort of thing doesn't happen ? Most users do not read back over previous posts to see if they have received warnings etc. This issue was a factor in my last ban from soccer.

Crisis, I thought you had stopped contributing on these forums. Not seen you on the soccer forum in yonks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Crisis, I thought you had stopped contributing on these forums. Not seen you on the soccer forum in yonks.
    That's cause he's banned afair. (Don't mention the war, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Still here , but banned from soccer for my sins. I havn't seen you around much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The Muppet wrote: »
    Still here , but banned from soccer for my sins. I havn't seen you around much either.

Get a room lads :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

surprised that people think Charlie hasn't caused trouble before. Don't believe a word of this being done as a 'joke'. As noted above he tagged the liverpool thread, not a thread frequented mates of his joking around.

Not sure everyone realises that the rick rollin 'joke' was also on a liverpool thread, with the link retyped to look like a News story. Imo that was worth a ban on it's own, getting just a warning for that should have been a wake up call.

copacetic wrote: »
    surprised that people think Charlie hasn't caused trouble before. Don't believe a word of this being done as a 'joke'. As noted above he tagged the liverpool thread, not a thread frequented mates of his joking around.

Not sure everyone realises that the rick rollin 'joke' was also on a liverpool thread, with the link retyped to look like a News story. Imo that was worth a ban on it's own, getting just a warning for that should have been a wake up call.

As I have already stated, I wasn't aware of this warning until after my banning. Hence why I suggested that it should have been pm'd to me. I wasn't aware that rick rollin became such a contentious issue. I have been the victim of it myself on the soccer forum and took it as it was meant to be, a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

As I have already stated, I wasn't aware of this warning until after my banning. Hence why I suggested that it should have been pm'd to me. I wasn't aware that rick rollin became such a contentious issue. I have been the victim of it myself on the soccer forum and took it as it was meant to be, a joke.

why do you keep on trying to play 'jokes' on liverpool fans when otherwise all you seem to do is slag off both the team and fans? Why would anyone take anything you do as an innocent joke?

copacetic wrote: »
    why do you keep on trying to play 'jokes' on liverpool fans when otherwise all you seem to do is slag off both the team and fans? Why would anyone take anything you do as an innocent joke?

'Keep playing jokes' is laughable. Two instances is hardly regular stuff. The rollin had nothing to do with the fact that it concerned Liverpool supporters, but the fact that there was post after post proclaiming Keane would be signed imminently. I have already explained why I tagged the thread.

Also, when have I ever slagged off the team or it's supporters? I may have engaged in debate over tactics and transfer policy, and supporters speculations, but I have never 'slagged off' either.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Over-sensitive Liverpool fans?! Well, I never!

Where are the relevant mods on this one? They seem to have disappeared from this thread. In view of the other guy's one week ban for worse abuse I don't see why this Charlie fella should have to spend a month on the sidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

For the last time:

1. The forum charter bans the misuse of tags. There is no where in the charter where it states misuse of tags is "ok as a joke".

2. I don't care if you think it was funny or a joke or not. Our rules aren't built around your humor.

3. Your ban stands and your next ban will be longer if you step out of line in the forum again.

4. Unless an admin tells us otherwise, the issue is closed so this is my last post on the matter (except the clarification below :p).

GuanYin wrote: »
    For the last time:

1. The forum charter bans the misuse of tags. There is no where in the charter where it states misuse of tags is "ok as a joke".

2. I don't care if you think it was funny or a joke or not. Our rules aren't built around your humor.

3. Your ban stands and your next ban will be longer if you step out of line in the forum again.

4. Unless an admin tells us otherwise, the issue is closed so this is my last post on the matter.

Can you address why another poster was giving a weeks ban for what appears to be a worse case of tags misuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i got 11 days for referring to a liverpool supporting mate as scouse filth, and a mate of his as being a resident of filth land. in light of that, charlies is probably a tad harsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

The previous incident occured before the rules were set and before the users and mods had fully come to grips with the tags (to the point I didn't even know how to view the tag details).

This incident occured when rules had been established and EVERYONE had time to read them.

Really done now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

GuanYin wrote: »
    The previous incident occured before the rules were set and before the users and mods had fully come to grips with the tags (to the point I didn't even know how to view the tag details).

This incident occured when rules had been established and EVERYONE had time to read them.

Really done now.
    Handy excuse IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Is there a difference between an excuse or explanation?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

PHB wrote: »
    Ask George Bush

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

PHB wrote: »
    nope, you win.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

CHD wrote: »
    Handy excuse IMO

Not an excuse, an explaination.

I think this thread is just about done.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

don't you just hate it when people just won't accept that they were wrong :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

that does seem like a fair enough reason.

Shame, I didn't even get to start on the scouse conspiracy argument :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement