Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chidren Wanted

Options
  • 01-08-2008 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Give a thread a harmless sounding title, eh?

Ok - the idea has been suggested to me of organising a game of human chess at the giant chess board at Salthill in Galway. The board is too small for adults, but for kids, as Goldilocks would say - it's just right...

So - I need 32 children who might fancy dressing up as chesspieces for a day...

And if anyone would like to help maybe with costumes or anything, twould be much appreciated.

No date or anything definite has been set yet, just throwing this out there to see if there'd be any interest...

Suggestions also welcome...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

How do you plan on getting children to stand still long enough to use them as chess pieces?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

(Obligatory pic)
    577px-Pedobear_17.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Unenlightened

I don't know...

I think I'm handling the chess side of things... The crazy lady who came up with the idea can try control the kids. I don't think she quite realises the effort and organisation it will take. It was difficult enough when we did it with college students a few years ago...

Fun though.

Give the kids inflatable hammers. So when they are going to take someone, they can hit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

what the **** is this in aid of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

No date or anything definite has been set yet, just throwing this out there to see if there'd be any interest...

Suggestions also welcome...

Get more than 32 children. Unless it's a very fast game I'd say you'd need to let them swap over every 10mins or so and take the place of chess pieces in relays.You'd need to arrange some sort of entertainment for the extras then.
    Otherwise acquire some heavy sedation :)

It sounds like the main entertainment would be watching the pandemonium when a pawn suddenly starts crying, wants their mother, needs to go to the toilet etc.

DRakE wrote: »
    what the **** is this in aid of?

Fun?

Promoting chess and Salthill... etc.

chilly wrote: »
    Get more than 32 children. Unless it's a very fast game I'd say you'd need to let them swap over every 10mins or so and take the place of chess pieces in relays.You'd need to arrange some sort of entertainment for the extras then.
    Otherwise acquire some heavy sedation :)

It sounds like the main entertainment would be watching the pandemonium when a pawn suddenly starts crying, wants their mother, needs to go to the toilet etc.

I'm sure we can keep the games fairly fast...

Probably a few short games would be best, to give all the pieces the opportunity to move...
    And yes, it's quite possible that you're right about the pandemonium...

Any thoughts on whether a pre-scripted game or a live one would be better?

Hmm... have been looking at the board out there, and I reckon we could also use slim grown-ups... so if any of you would be interested...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ilduce

Give me your contact details if you want publicity for the chess game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Any thoughts on whether a pre-scripted game or a live one would be better?

If you're using kids I'd go with a scripted game. That way you can ensure that you give as many children as possible a chance to make a move and you can curtail the length of time the game takes.

If you use adults I'd say a live game would be more exciting for all involved.

Good luck with it I hope it works out well if you do it .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Will you be needing black children for half the pieces?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

What about draughts/checkers?
    They can leapfrog over each other then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I bet you could find 32 kids that love Harry Potter quite easily.

Put up notices in book stores.

Advertisement