Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How loud is too loud?

Options
  • 01-08-2008 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

In the follow up to the popular DJ thread I beg a question.

How loud is too loud? Everyone complains that for someone who spends all his time playing music and in a studio I cant deal with loud music. So when your out to see a band in a pub or a venue how loud do you like the band?

I personally dont mind how loud something is once everything is heard as it is suppose to be. I cant stand hearing a band rock out at the end and all you hear is vocals peaking through every once and a while and speakers flubbing away to guitar solos. If the PA and soundman is top notch I dont really mind.

90% of the time I prefer when you can hear the band clearly but still hold a conversation with the person beside you.

So how do the rest of you musos react to music volume?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I like it loud - but only if the soundsystem is up to it. It Really Really pisses me off when I'm in a bar etc that has a sub-par sound system and they have it up full. The bass is lacking and the treble is way to sharp - cuts the ears off you.

If it is a decent system I like it loud so you can 'feel' the music so to say... Then again,as much as I love loud music on a dancefloor, I hate it when the music is so loud you cannot have a conversation, when there is no need for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I use Behringer floor monitor speakers for my discos. They are 15" bass bins and 800W each. They are powered from a 1700W amp. I usually turn the amp up full, then adjust the level from my mixer. I have ardly ever had it past 2/3s. They are loud though! In fact I sometimes only use one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    I use Behringer floor monitor speakers for my discos. They are 15" bass bins and 800W each. They are powered from a 1700W amp. I usually turn the amp up full, then adjust the level from my mixer. I have ardly ever had it past 2/3s. They are loud though! In fact I sometimes only use one!

You use 800watt floor monitor bass bins for your front of house? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Ye thats what i was thinking lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Er...they ain't 'bass bins' mister spider man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Too much,, is when it's sounds like the band are playing out of a wet nappy.

Or that awfull wedding band sound.

A good sound man, should be like a good musician. Or cook

In cooking the rule is,,, you can add ingredients,,, but you can't take them away.

Acoustics are always pretty clear to hear.... the trained pristine ear of a "pro" sound should be able hear when it's becoming muffled muck. A childish little prick will turn it up for the sake of it, just to be opressive with his little swinging dick.

And remember bad music at any volume is painful.. If you've got someone really bad ,,, turn it down,, for the love of jesus christ,, turn it down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

You might get a better sound, if you have you're mixer output up full(or nearly up full) and take the 1700w amp to a level you like.

It's reduces the small amount of noise from the mixer being amplified. (some of that noise you can't hear,,, but makes the overall sound muddy ,, as it pushes air on the speakers)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Savman wrote: »

And going on a quick glance, they are 1200W speakers so are being underpowered too.

Soundman wrote: »
    And going on a quick glance, they are 1200W speakers so are being underpowered too.
    Actually they are 300w, but Behringer being Behringer that figure is well disguised with the marketing blurb. The 1200w is 'peak power' but they don't tell you that up front.
    EUROLIVE PROFESSIONAL B1520 PRO High-Performance 1,200-Watt 15" PA Loudspeaker/Floor Monitor
    BS.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

krd wrote: »
    , as it pushes air on the speakers)

????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I think KRD's post is a little incorrect on many points...

Savman wrote: »

Sorry I meant they have 15" bass bins! Sorry for the confusion. But are you all saying that the speakers are a good match for the amp? and what is the best way to set your mixer and amp? I was told on the usenet mobile djs group that turning the amp up first, then adjusting the sound level with the mixer is the best way.

Sorry I meant they have 15" bass bins! Sorry for the confusion.
    You mean 15" woofers. The term 'bass bins' is generally bandied about in reference to Subwoofers whereas your boxes are Full Range. Quite a different thing altogether.
    But are you all saying that the speakers are a good match for the amp?
    If you post your amplifier's output at 4 and 8ohms that question will answer itself.
    and what is the best way to set your mixer and amp? I was told on the usenet mobile djs group that turning the amp up first, then adjusting the sound level with the mixer is the best way.
    That's correct most of the time, but one size never fits all and live work is not an exact science. It's a good rule of thumb though.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

I listen to music quietly at home or in the car. I am tending to mix at a lower volume these days too. If I am tracking guitars with the guitarist in the control room and he wants the track louder I give him headphones and tell him to put it any volume he wants. As a result of this I am leaving the studio and feeling fresh when I get home rather than totally drained which is what happens when LOUD music is blaring in your face for 10 hours. Remember that the band will move around and go outside etc while you are sitting 3 feet from the monitors all day.
    I think most gigs are way too loud these days as is the cinema.
    I am 35 now and never use to feel this way so maybe it is something to do with "mellowing" a bit (like a fine wine!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

I like the volume level where you can hear someone speak to you without it hurting my ears . I hate when people spit in my ears and face because the music is too loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 4k

it's too loud while mixing in the studio when the neighbours come aknockin' and in a live situation i like it when it's just about louder FOH than it is on stage. often this is too loud yes.. but its only right.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭fitz

Gigs are too loud a lot of the time.
    I'm glad I've got my molded earplugs, they're a godsend, and something I'd recommend for anyone in a band or who goes to gigs regularly.
    Its great leaving a gig without ringing ears.

fitz wrote: »
    Gigs are too loud a lot of the time.
    I'm glad I've got my molded earplugs, they're a godsend, and something I'd recommend for anyone in a band or who goes to gigs regularly.
    Its great leaving a gig without ringing ears.

Where did you get them Fitz. I have a £6 pair I bought at an airport which I carry around in my pocket all the time, otherwise I'd never use them!

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Where did you get them Fitz. I have a £6 pair I bought at an airport which I carry around in my pocket all the time, otherwise I'd never use them!

Went to the cinema last night to see that 'Mummy' film - apart from being a comple load of pants I had to wear me ear plugs .... Ridic Loud!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

i like music as loud as it needs to be.

writing tracks doesnt need much volume, mixdowns need a bit of a push etc

out and about i like a good clear sound. techno clubs need to have low end power and crisp highs that can cut thru without getting too harsh, same as if i went to see a death metal band.. not so important at a nuevelle vague gig ;)

each situation is differant and needs a differant volume level i guess?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭fitz

PaulBrewer wrote: »

I got them from Frank Cass.
    They're a fantastic investment.

I even wear them when playing live. I actually find it helps with vocal control live, cause you're much more aware of your voice in your head with them in. Some people might find it disconcerting, but it works for me.

Advertisement