Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motoring Offence Question - Probable Outcome?

• 01-08-2008 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

New to the boards and a big hello to everyone. I have a question regarding a motoring offence which hopefully someone can give me some clarity on.

Unfortunately, I am going to give the long winded-version :o

On December 26th last, I was heading up to Liffey Valley from Offaly to pick up a TV in the sales (being Scottish, the mere mention of a sale gets me excited!!). I pulled of onto the old N4 to get fuel and carried on along the old road toward Enfield.

Came up behind a car and passed it, indicated back in and then saw the blue lights flashing in my rear view mirror :eek:

Admitted offence and was told I would recieve fixed penalty in the post. No problem there, done the crime, etc.

Duly received the fixed penalty and fine was paid with notice I would receive the points whenever I had an irish licence. Again, I have no problem there.

Then about two weeks ago two Gardai arrived at the door with a load of court summons(es??). They read as follows:

- Driving with no licence
    - Driving with no insurance
    - Failure to produce licence
    - Failure to produce insurance
    - Crossing double continuous white line

I have all the insurance and licence info required but did not produce as I did not realise I had to. In Scotland you are issued with an HORT45 or similar, stating where and when you have to produce documenation.

I contacted the Garda station from where the Gard operates with all my documentation asked for. They said that I should produce it in court ad if I can get the receipt for payment of the fine then all the better.

Contacted the fixed charge processing office and received a letter back today. I was a wee bit shocked to say the least as it states that I was in fact issued with two notices on the 26th of December. One for crossing a continuous double white line, but also one for crossing a continuous single white line.

Letter also states that the single white line offence was paid, the double white line remained unpaid and was 'Sent To Court'.

Neither myself or my wife remember two notices arriving, although if they did arrive seperately it could have been deemed a copy and binned as the only word that would have been different would be single and double.

My question after that, if anyone is still reading :D is...

Where do I stand in the whole matter?
    What is the likely outcome?
    Is it normal to be charged for both crossing single and double white line separately?
    If I write to the superintendent could I ask him/her to rescind the offence?

Sorry for the novel but I thought it best to get everything out.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks,
    D

P.S. I got a cracking TV in the sales :D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

To be perfectly honest, you need to speak to a solicitor, especially as there are multiple offences involved.

The courts can be understanding, but how understanding will depend on your approach and hte attitude the gada and judge take.

I think you could certainly expect a solid, but not excessive fine. I don't know what attitude will be taken to you having a foreign licence.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

No legal advice can be sought on this forum. Read the Charter. As Victor said, go see a solicitor.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement