Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new invention

Options
  • 01-08-2008 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

In brief, my idea is a digital electricity energy saving fuse box. Like your central heating, whereby, you can set a time for your heating to come on and off. Well, we all know that when appliances are left plugged in they are still consuming electricity and knowing this we still don't bother unplugging them before we go to bed or when we go to work. But, what if there was a device that would shut off all electricity when it's not needed? It would cut energy cost dramatically in the home and in office buildings. Also, apart from cost savings another benefit would be safety reasons ie it would prevent overheating of sockets and thus, prevent fires. The device will be a full colour touch-screen console with one-touch electricity shut-down for rooms that are not use.

Good idea??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I'm sorry, but I don't think you've thought this thru.

For a start, you rarely want to cut the power to an entire room. Many rooms in my house require power to at least one outlet 24/7. E.g the video recorder/dvd in the sitting room, the fridge and microwave in the kitchen.
    There are other appliances I wouldn't want on such a circuit either like the immersion heater, alarm etc.

In short, most houses would require a comprehensive rewire to make this anyway near a viable proposition. The fusebox would have to be replaced for a start.

Aside from all that, I can't see the cost saving v installation costs for the average user.
    Much easier to unplug my phone charger when not in use.

As a matter of interest, have you worked out how much 'leccy equipment uses per year when in standby mode?

Lastly, you would need to have some heavy gear like electric radiators sharing a socket to overheat it. You're unlikely to forget to unplug these but still remember to operate the touch panel.
    There are a hundred more reasons why I don't think it will work....

Its a non starter I afraid but keep thinking of new ideas.
    Maybe one day you will have the one.....

I don't want to sound unduely negative but i,ve heard of this or a similar idea before.

Advertisement