Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bathroom wall question

Options
  • 01-08-2008 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

How do you fit a bathroom cabinet or a mirror to a plasterboard* wall

*I think that is the right term

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I use thorsmann duo-max toggle bolts for heavy stuff about 1KG.
    If it's anything less than that you can use thorsmann driva cavity fixings ,they are a spiral shape and screw straight into the plasterboard.

B&Q sell a lot of stuff like that ,their staff are always friendly aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

Hi 311, thanks for your suggestion
    311 wrote: »
    I use thorsmann duo-max toggle bolts for heavy stuff about 1KG.
    If it's anything less than that you can use thorsmann driva cavity fixings ,they are a spiral shape and screw straight into the plasterboard.
    It's for
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=30001&langId=-1&catalogId=1500001201&productId=1500295751&Trail=C%24cip%3D1500014923.Home%2Band%2Bfurniture%3EC%24cip%3D1500015101.Bathroom%2Band%2Bshowers%3EC%24cip%3D1500015110.Bathroom%2Bcabinets%2Band%2Bstorage%2Bunits&categoryId=1500015110&clickfrom=name

I understand there is sometime wood behind the plasterboard, how do you know where the wood is

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

With that size of cabinet you may only be able to attach one side to the timber members of the wall, the other side would be attached into the empty cavity.

If it were me i would go with the toggle bolts, a good solid fixing.

Heres a pic of what they look like..
    King2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

luder wrote: »
    With that size of cabinet you may only be able to attach one side to the timber members of the wall, the other side would be attached into the empty cavity.
    OK I did not realise that
    If it were me i would go with the toggle bolts, a good solid fixing.

Heres a pic of what they look like..
    King2.jpg
    OK thanks for that, pic helps a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

You could lightly mark the wall where you want to hang your cabinet, between these lines tap lightly with your knuckles or a small hammer and listen to the sound as you move across the wall (approx 1½" / 40mm spaces). If you keep you tapping consistently you may hear changes in tone (deeper/lower tone = hollow higher = stud or something solid). You could then test by making a very small hole with a nail/screw or drill bit.
    Other than that, when your in B & Q getting your toggle bolts go to the tool section and get a Stud finder.

Here's another fixing that can be used on a stud wall, I know them as a pigtail screw. I think they are the one 311 posted about.
    Good Luck

_12438_102543.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

foamcutter wrote: »
    Other than that, when your in B & Q getting your toggle bolts go to the tool section and get a Stud finder.

Here's another fixing that can be used on a stud wall, I know them as a pigtail screw. I think they are the one 311 posted about.
    Good Luck

_12438_102543.jpg

I use the stud finder all the time ,got my stanley one in lidl for a tenner:cool:
    Never knew the name of them pigtail screws ,I've only ever bought the thorsmann ones:(

April,
    When your hanging the cabinet ,you'll want to hang it centre over a basin or whatever. That will probably dictate what fixings to use.
    The pigtail screws are fine for it ,maybe even blob some silicone to the back of the press when you are putting it on the wall and that will give it extra support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I stuck a 1200 x 600mm mirror to our bathroom wall last month.
    I left an ope in the tiles to receive same. So mirror is stuck to cement board.

Bought mirror glue, E11 per tube. Stocked in most big hardware stores.

Worked fine. I'll mastic around edges to seal.

Advertisement