Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of Chili is this?

Options
  • 01-08-2008 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭

Hopefully some of you guys can help me out. I bought a Chili kit from Homebase earlier this year. It has bloomed into a big plant and is producing Chili's. I don't know what type it is or when the Chili's are ripe because I don't know their ripe colour.
    Any help appreciated :D

JadePlay.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

That's probaby a Cayenne or Anaheim. You can use the chilis in their green state, or as they ripen through orange into red - depending on the type they may stay orange or turn red. Slice a piece off and touch it to the tip of your tongue - carefully - to test the heat. Then use volume accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Thanks for he info. I think it looks more like a Cayenne.
    How long does it take for them to ripen up because that one in the picture had stopped growing a few weeks ago but hadn't changed colour. I was thinking that it could have been a green Chilli.

They can take sodding ages to ripen actually. Are yours getting a lot of sun at the moment? I grow chilis on and off and sometimes they'll stay green for two months and all turn to red in a fortnight, depending on the sunlight.

Not much sun lately :) but generally they would get the sun most of the day, up to about six o'clock. I wasn't sure if they were already ripe or not and I wasn't sure how long they'll last on the plant before going past their best.
    I have only picked one, will that still ripen off the plant?

Also, have you tried drying them out or whats the best way to preserve them?

Thanks.

I find it's best to leave them on the plant to ripen to red. If they're off the plant, just test the heat by taste and use accordingly. When they're off the plant, use a needle and cotton to thread the stems onto a string, and air dry them by hanging the string up in the airing cupboard, for instance. The plant is an annual, so you'll get one year out of it and then just try to go from seed again for next year.

• Advertisement

I find it's best to leave them on the plant to ripen to red. If they're off the plant, just test the heat by taste and use accordingly. When they're off the plant, use a needle and cotton to thread the stems onto a string, and air dry them by hanging the string up in the airing cupboard, for instance. The plant is an annual, so you'll get one year out of it and then just try to go from seed again for next year.

Thanks for the info, very helpfull :)

Advertisement