Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heating oil in the garage

Options
  • 01-08-2008 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

anyone know the pros and cons of putting the heating oil tank in the garage, i am considering doing it as i have no foundations outside for support walls, and also it will prevent thieft

Comments

The first things that spring to mind are, will a delivery company fill it for you, It would need some extra protection to prevent the car being driven into it or damage from anything else that could happen in the garage (welding!) if it leaks you could end up with a fume filled garage as well as a slippery floor.

I'd check with an oil tank manufacturer about requirements for indoor tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

If the garage is not used for welding or grinder work and the tank is bunded it should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

thanks lads

still between 2 minds, could do with the room in the garage, but like the idea of making it very hard to lift, will ring a few delivery guys next week, but the sparks said that everyone is doing it these days

whats bunded mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,160 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to DIY

mukki wrote: »

whats bunded mean?

Double walled tank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

You'll find that there will be no problem with the deliveries provided you've not got a cranky oil company! Only thing to watch for is that someone will have to be home when the delivery is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Why not install tank outside, on / beside rear wall of garage?:confused:

A secure position, out of sight.
    Put a halogen sensor light on gable, over tank, for added security.
    Easy deliveries, more space in garage and less fear of spills / leaks.
    Fire safety must be seriously considered.

Most tanks are supported on two rows of 9'' blocks, laid flat. A suitable foundation could be dug, mixed and laid by hand.

I wouldn't recommend an oil tank in a garage.
    Garage cost per sqft make it an expensive addition. Don't waste valuable storage floor space.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

A halogen light on a sensor is not going to deter too many imho...

Outdoor tank surrounded by a brick wall with a lockable access grid to the pipework & filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Outdoor tank surrounded by a brick wall with a lockable access grid to the pipework & filler.

and a retired ex-Guard called mick who patrols up and down the outside of the tank wall 24 hours a day, 7 days a week carrying a shotgun, all for €8 an hour....

THEN, and only then will your tank and contents be safe!!!! :D

(Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

• Advertisement

:D

Advertisement