Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving the day after a night out

• 01-08-2008 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I am going away for the long weekend with a gang of girls. As full licences appear to be in short supply among us, I was one of the ones who drew the short straw on driving.
    We are going on the tear Sunday night and staying over. I normally drink vodka on a night out I suppose my absolute maximum would be about 10 and I don't really like cocktails or shots so it'll be just my vodka ( and soda water of course!)

It'll be a 2 and a half hour drive back the next day so can anyone tell me what time I should leave it til before I start driving back. We are kind of saying about one o'clock in the afternoon but I don't know would that still be a bit dodgy, should we wait til 4 or 5? Also should we eat something as well or does eating slow down your bodys ability to get alcohol out of your system?

I've heard the "rule of thumb" of 1 hour per unit of alcohol but I wonder is that just an average, I'm 5 foot nothing and weigh about 10 stone so this rule of thumb could apply to a 15 stone man who, understandably, would process alcohol quicker than I would.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Rule of thumb is half an hour per unit of alcohol to be absorbed. Or maybe its an hour. Either way I'd get a full Irish into me first thing then leave after midday some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

You'll find plenty of opinions in here tbh http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055287709

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

One unit per hour is the rule. Then add some.

You can get self-testers to be sure afaik, ojust don't ask me where. Safest way is just don't drive until late in the day. Just don't end up in the situation of the guy in the above post - if you have even a shred of doubt, DONT DRIVE, get the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

daisychain wrote: »
    I'm 5 foot nothing and weigh about 10 stone so this rule of thumb could apply to a 15 stone man who, understandably, would process alcohol quicker than I would.
    Thats not true is it? Its not that bigger people process it faster, just that it takes more to get drunk, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

I'd leave it till the evening just to be on the safe side. You can't be too careful when it comes to this kind of thing. Plus remember on a bank hol the guards are twice as prevalent so you've got to be twice as careful. You have a much higher chance of being pulled over and breathalised this wknd over a normal one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement