Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spraoi happenings!

• 01-08-2008 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

No threads on The Spraoi? Suppose we could post a list of what's happening and how everybody finds the festival this year.

Couple of bands playing today. Tomorrow at 3PM there is going to be a group of breakdancers from the US by the Cathedral. Should be a good craic.

Bring it on!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

am i the only one that hates spraoi.. the town is full of scum waiting to pick on the first girl or small guy the see.. sickens me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

At night it can be a bit hectic.. But during the day til late evening it's a good craic. Good music, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

Its a great weekend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

ya aint the only one that hates the weekend.Totally agree with you, the town gets over run with scum and idiots.I generally avoid the town for the whole weekend because of this.I also hate street performers, they should all be set on fire and pissed on and then repeat cycle until it gets boring.I also detest most of the bland middle of the road world music thats put on under the guise as good music.Although I don't fault anyone for liking it and I do appreciate all the hard work that goes into it,but its just not my thing...therefore I stay away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Tonight was quite good.

I was on the Plaza until about half 9, then over to the Courthouse - Went up to Down's with intention of going to the Forum, but left early - Was out on the hooch til the early hours this morning.

Looking forward to the new 'parade' too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

Xyo wrote: »
    am i the only one that hates spraoi.. the town is full of scum waiting to pick on the first girl or small guy the see.. sickens me.

The town does get a bit rough. A lot of scum about, but It's generally a good weekend.
    Fajitas! wrote: »
    Tonight was quite good.

Looking forward to the new 'parade' too.

Whats this new parade business????:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Meatwad wrote: »
    ya aint the only one that hates the weekend.Totally agree with you, the town gets over run with scum and idiots.I generally avoid the town for the whole weekend because of this.I also hate street performers, they should all be set on fire and pissed on and then repeat cycle until it gets boring.I also detest most of the bland middle of the road world music thats put on under the guise as good music.Although I don't fault anyone for liking it and I do appreciate all the hard work that goes into it,but its just not my thing...therefore I stay away.

"people should be set on fire for trying to entertain others??".....??.....your a sad sad person,
    imgine if you went out and enjoyed yourself, you might just set yourself on fire with excitenemt ! ...... IDIOT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

daftdave wrote: »
    "people should be set on fire for trying to entertain others??".....??.....your a sad sad person,
    imgine if you went out and enjoyed yourself, you might just set yourself on fire with excitenemt ! ...... IDIOT

I think it was just a bit of a rant, not serious!

I like the spraoi, shame im working today though :(

floyd333 wrote: »
    Whats this new parade business????:)

Rather than all the acts moving down through the Quays, there'll be 5 stages (ports) that they'll all go up to and do their thing on. There's gonna be a ship then that moves from stage to stage with more music, et al.

Keep the personal abuse to yourself mate, and ignore the naysayers.

Anyone heading in tonight?

I'll be down the Plaza again for most of it - Be sure to check out Gorbachov, are a class act :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Probably going to head down to the court house for the hydro thingy. then head somewhere for a few drinks.

Whats was the parking like down by the court house last night anyone know? Probably going to head close that way about 9ish

Park up by St. Declans if you're going in early, otherwise, taxi ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Was thinking that myself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Park up by St. Declans if you're going in early, otherwise, taxi ftw!

Where is St. Declans? Ill be heading in myself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

You can call people idiots now?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    You can call people idiots now?

No, but it was decided to give him a warning. The call was made by Fajitas!, so if you have any issue with it PM him so we can keep on topic here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Sully wrote: »
    Where is St. Declans? Ill be heading in myself..
    St. Declans primary school....opposite the side entrance of De La Salle by the park...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

So what kind of street performer are you , a juggler or a busker?
    Get a sense of humour dude and if ya don't share the same as other people don't go around abusing them, I didn't abuse you nor did I obviously mean any offence to anyone.
    Oh and by the way,as I have seen in previous posts by you at least I'm not attacking the travelling community or another minority.
    AS I said in my post, the majority of what goes on is not my cup of tea, however that does not mean I do not appreciate the hard work that goes into the event or the work the acts do.End of.
    at least its good to see that others aren't as childish or ignorant to attack me for having a personal preference.I am also suprised to see that the same person that complained on previous posts for being censored and warned for voicing his personal opinion has been the one to call me an idiot for doing the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Meatwad wrote: »
    So what kind of street performer are you , a juggler or a busker?
    Get a sense of humour dude and if ya don't share the same as other people don't go around abusing them, I didn't abuse you nor did I obviously mean any offence to anyone.
    Oh and by the way,as I have seen in previous posts by you at least I'm not attacking the travelling community or another minority.
    AS I said in my post, the majority of what goes on is not my cup of tea, however that does not mean I do not appreciate the hard work that goes into the event or the work the acts do.End of.
    at least its good to see that others aren't as childish or ignorant to attack me for having a personal preference.I am also suprised to see that the same person that complained on previous posts for being censored and warned for voicing his personal opinion has been the one to call me an idiot for doing the same thing.
    you didnt mean an offence to anyone :eek:

you said street entertainers should set themselves on fire ????
    you must be quite bored to be trawling back through my posts !!!!

Grow up the two of ye and get back on topic. ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Caught these earlier today when I was stwearding. By far the best act I've seen all weekend, for audience participation especially.
    Not sure if they're performing tomorrow, but if anyone else has seen em, what did ya think?

Merging this together so we don't have 230 threads on Spraoi :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

sorry

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    sorry

Fireworks are tonight as the spraoi runs from Friday to Sunday,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Cabaal wrote: »
    Fireworks are tonight as the spraoi runs from Friday to Sunday,

THANKS

just got mad thought in my head that it could be Monday for some strange reason. (too many pints over the last two days :D maybe )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 paddy1mac

Just back from the parade after going with my 10 year old. I dont want to knock the Spraoi as it is a brilliant event and never fails to deliver but i think this years parade was bit of a let down. Going by the reaction of my own lad and the people around me it seemed to go over peoples heads a little. Also the fixed podiums didnt seem to have the desired effect in that unless you were near you could'nt really see what was going on. Like there was 50k people at least on the quay and it was all over in an instant.

Another quibble I have is that when the shows are on it is very difficult to see what is actually happening unless you are near the front given that the audiences seeme to be bigger this year they could have been stewarded more forcefully in getting people to spread out or sit down.

One other thing was the attitude of some people with regard to leaving kids at the the front to see. I was at the USA Streetdancers in Cathedral Square today and a child was trying to make his way to the front and a few of us asked a grown up in a red jacket to let him through and he said no - couldnt believe it.

But as i said i dont want to knock what is after all a free event and a great boost to the city.

Agreeing with paddy1mac, felt that parade was a major let down. I think Sparoi is a great idea, and brings massive benefits to the city. As my first time to Spraoi, I was bored of my trolley.

- The fixed podiums were pointless. Mimes stripping with stupid background music and drums we couldnt hear! I felt sorry for those waving the plastic sheet around. The guards were clearly bored, one of them was texting for most of it.

- Far to crowded and very dangerous. One of the girls fainted and found it hard to battle through the crowd to get medical attention - plus, there was no open space for her to feel less crowded around.

- Parade was boring, but the boat was interesting and very well designed. Took far to long to reach the clock tower, but apparently that happens every year. I prefered St. Paddys Day parade.

- Iv never really seen any firework displays before, but found this interesting. Others didnt like it tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,280 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

felt that parade was a major let down

- The fixed podiums were pointless.

- Far to crowded and very dangerous.

- Parade was boring.

I bet your nickname is happy:D

I bet your nickname is happy:D

Listen, just because you got a bollixing on another forum because I moved your stupid posts from here to there does not give you the right to troll me. Either contribute or go away. Take that as a warning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Agreeing with Roen, felt that parade was a major let down.

I was at home :p

Advertisement