Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can you figure out how this crash occured?

Options
  • 01-08-2008 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Because I can't.

Sitting watching TV, I hear the familiar sounds of boy racers rallying around the roundabout outside, then the sound of crunching metal. It was going to happen eventually.

Except I cannot figure out who hit who or where the vehicles were when they collided.

See link below - The road at the top-left is northbound off the roundabout. We'll call the silver car, car A, and the blue car, car B.

Two crucial pieces of information:

1. Before it came to rest, the Car A spun *at least* 90 degrees to face in that direction.
    2. Car B has extensive damage on the driver's wing and driver's door (Which you can't see in the photo).

Car B has also been moved forward about 4 feet by the fire brigade, to get it off the road. Car A is sitting where it came to rest.

(Obviously ignore the two undamaged cars on the road, they weren't involved at all).

DSC00202_thumb.jpg

I guarantee* a prize for whoever can give the most convincing explantion

*Not a guarantee

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

Who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I do. It's wrecking my head because I can't figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Ninjas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Put a tracksuit and hoodie on, walk down to the skangers standing around the car and ask "Was de story?", then come back and tell us what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Newcarneeded

Silver car is rallying around the roundabout. Other car is approaching roundabout to go straight through not expecting to see a silver car rallying around the roundabout. Silver car tries to avoid this other car, but can't because it's going to fast, understeering, whatever and so catches the car on the drivers side.

This puts the silver car into a spin as the rear of the silver car has hit it while the front of the car with the heavy engine, well it's momentum pulls it round and off it spins in a counterclockwise direction and it mounts the kerb whilst travelling backwards.

The other car which tried to avoid the collission by steering slightly left and jamming on the brakes ends up coming to rest in a direction which is neither straight on through the roundabout or taking the left exit, which is explained by it wanting to go straight on originally but being rudely prevented by a silver car rallying around the roundabout which knocked it off course.

As a qualified crash investigator* this is my professional opinion of what happened.

Of course maybe no one was rallying around any roundabouts, maybe no one was travelling in the direction i reckon they are, and maybe i'm entirely wrong.

*not a qualified crash investigator.

You can send my prize to Joe Duffy, RTE, Donnybrook, Dublin 4.

Bright dry road. Busy roundabout. Should be plenty of witnesses, I'd presume it'll be reasonably straight forward to sort that one out. IF ya really wanna know what happened, put on a blue shirt and tie, borrow a white Fiesta/Focus/Mondeo, navy Mondeo even, throw on a high vis and ask them what happened to the vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Does the damage on the driver's side of the Charade "match" the damage on the front of the Honda? Maybe the damage on one or both cars was caused by impact with a pole or wall.

I doubt that the Charade was racing the Honda but maybe it was. Maybe one of the cars went the wrong way around the roundabout while racing.

It is wrecking my head too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 echo hotel

if thats the hunters wood round about i know it well recon to two cars were racing silver car infront lifts handbrake on roundabout blue car too close swerves but pulls front bumper off the silver car with his own wing and door id say they were coming out of hunterswood

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

They could have been racing very close to each other round the roundabout, one or both loose control, blue car touches silver car (resulting in rhfront damage on blue and lh rear damage (invisible in pic) on silver car.)

Silver car is in front, does a turn around, mounts kerb in reverse, rips off bumper while doing so and gets the final twist from the kerb to rest facing the way it is.

Blue car stays somewhat more on course and just mounts kerb straight on.

EDIT ...coming to think of it ...that kerb looks high enough to do some sereious damage ...the silver car you also have hit it going forward (resulting in frontal damage and ripped off bumper) and hitting the kerb is what spun it around.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Where do you live seamus??

Behind the billboards looks like a dump :):)

Gimme the date and ill tell you exactly what happened....using the em, force!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Both cars attempted to simultaneously occupy the same spatial and temporal dimensions in the same quantum universe.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Defo Silver cars Fault, Pulled onto the roundabout when the shouldnt have black car hit them.

this is near clare hall shopping centre

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Chief--- wrote: »

Hey - no cheatin. :pac:

It's frying my brain as well.
    Are you sure of the parameters you gave Seamus? (seeing as you were watching telly when it happened)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Chief--- wrote: »

Look like it's on Ballycullen Road - somewhere near Hunterswood. That looks like the new development just behind Woodstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 echo hotel

wil wrote: »
    Both cars attempted to simultaneously occupy the same spatial and temporal dimensions in the same quantum universe.:pac:

yep couldn't agree more, give the eh "prize" to wil

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Just to throw a spanner in the works!

Was the Charade actually involved or did they just come along and park arseways when collecting the occupants of the Civic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

ha, i cycled past this tonight at about eight, and there were about 20 more cars and twice as many ****ing eedjits standing around chatting about it. I wouldnt have known it was a crash only for the silver bumper lying in the grass, but it seemed as if the occupants of both cars had called all their mates to come and look at it, and they were parked all over the road/roundabout. I had assumed both drivers had driven onto the verge to stop blocking traffic, but i now assume that you took the photo directly after it happened, and that this just cannot be explained??

I would say im glad to see the aftermath from a different perspective, but tbh, im now just more confused

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Expect to see the video of it on bebo or youtube soon.:rolleyes:

Nice to know that karma has been restored here though.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

The location is Firhouse, on the way up to Kilakee. Obviously two skangers racing up to or down from The Hell Fire Club Car Park and lost control of the cars at the roundabout when they had to slow down to avoid traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

seamus wrote: »
    Car B has also been moved forward about 4 feet by the fire brigade, to get it off the road. Car A is sitting where it came to rest.

Why was the fire brigade on scene for what looks like a minor TA or did they cause the whole thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 BDW

IF ya really wanna know what happened, put on a blue shirt and tie, borrow a white Fiesta/Focus/Mondeo, navy Mondeo even, throw on a high vis and ask them what happened to the vehicles.

I came accross a goldish coloured skoda octavia undercover car in sligo the otherday, had three different sized arials on the back it it had pulled over and two guards were talking to two people on the side of the road (how I know it's an undercover car)

are these the new unmarked cars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Silver car was entering the roundabout from the bottom of your picture and was taking the first exit (going out the left of the picture). Silver car takes corner too fast and slides alittle wide and hits the drivers side of the blue car who is approaching the roundabout at speed from the left of the picture. The cars collide about half way between the current resting positions.
    The silver car caught the blue car just behind centre with the effect of spinning the blue car at the rear while its own momentum carried it forward to its final position.
    The silver car having hit the blue car as described must have spun to face in the opposite direction while it being the bigger of the two cars would have continued roughly in the direction in which it was sliding at time of crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

The pink car in my picture below, hit the blue one in a head on collision. The force of the collision made the pink car do lots of loops and tumbles in the air before landing in it's resting position. The blue car just skidded to where it is now.

Pretty simple really..

So what do I win? :)

60689.JPG

eye withness report that heard of the accident.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

its quite obvious that this crash occured becasue both cars are stoopified and driven by muppets,for every action there is an equal an opposite reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The pink car in my picture below, hit the blue one in a head on collision. The force of the collision made the pink car do lots of loops and tumbles in the air before landing in it's resting position. The blue car just skidded to where it is now.

Pretty simple really..

So what do I win? :)

60689.JPG

eye withness report that heard of the accident.JPG

Great drawing, is this the one from Crimecall?

Delighted to see it was scumbag boyracers that were involved btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

Sorry my english isn't perfect yet for this reason I'll use "clock ways".
    And what do you think about my versions: blue drove on normaly way from "six o'clock" in and went to out at "nine o'clock" and -1st version- the silver had a drunken left hand driver who cam against the normaly way and they met at near the left exit? or -2nd ver.- silver was lazy and won't to take 3/4 turn in roundabout else did a 1/4 turn (against the normal way) also cam from "twelve o'clock" and went to exit "nine o'colck".

What do you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

wil wrote: »

+1:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That's what happens when you disrupt the space-time continuum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sorry my english isn't perfect yet for this reason I'll use "clock ways".
    And what do you think about my versions: blue drove on normaly way from "six o'clock" in and went to out at "nine o'clock" and -1st version- the silver had a drunken left hand driver who cam against the normaly way and they met at near the left exit? or -2nd ver.- silver was lazy and won't to take 3/4 turn in roundabout else did a 1/4 turn (against the normal way) also cam from "twelve o'clock" and went to exit "nine o'colck".

What do you say?

I'd say it was eleven thirty and both parties were heading for last orders :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The location of minor debris (glass, paint, etc.) is usually the best indicator of the location of the accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Saggitarius

Victor wrote: »
    The location of minor debris (glass, paint, etc.) is usually the best indicator of the location of the accident.

Yes agree with you with the next: also important the trace of tyres -break and sliding-

Advertisement