Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best and Worst Towns in County Cork

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

It's a bit rough on towns to be labelled 'worst', out of context. Most towns have advantages and disadvantages.

A really nice town is Clonakilty but it's better in summer than in winter, in terms of life/activity/buzz.

Having said that - some towns are very tidy with magnificent floral displays. Others have great schools. Others have a great selection of pubs and restaurants. Others have good facilities for young people while others have none of these.
    Before you can say best or worsdt, you need to qualify your answer, remembering all the while that all of these towns are home to somebody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I love Clonakility. Spent a weekend there recently and had a wonderful time with all the shops and cafes etc.

I dislike Dunmanway.Always seems sot be a rough crowd around the streets when I am there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Best - Cobh

Worst - Charleville

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

grenache wrote: »
    Best - Cobh

Worst - Charleville

A pisstake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Best would have to be Kinsale or Clon. Both are fantastic for going out. Kinsale can be expensive and crowded to an extent but go there on a Thursday night and you'll have a great night in Bacchus. Clon too is good for going out, although the Venue can be ****e.

Worst, without a shadow of a doubt Bandon. Hate the town with a passion and i can speak from experience, having gone to school there for 6 years. A very unfriendly town, some people are sound out but the majority aren't. Don't get me started on the hub, full of Paedo's and scumbags and a complete rip off. Only decent thing in Bandon is the Lidl.

Orizio wrote: »
    A pisstake?
    No, why? Any time i've been there i've enjoyed it and been impressed by it. As a Cork native though, maybe you have a greater knowledge of the town. I'm only judging it from what i have experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bogzilla

I'm surprised nobody has given Youghal a thumbs-up!
    I'm from the city -- living in it also -- so I have no place-of-birth bias in this debate.

Youghal has just about anything you would want from a decent quality of life aspect. A town dripping with history. Fabulous beach within a stroll of the town, lovely old-world harbour, fishing, sailing. nice public parks. Some great pubs in the town and must be a dozen restaurants on the main street alone.

When I retire, I'm off down there!

totally agree. youghal is a fantastic spot.

four miles of beautiful sandy beach.

need i say more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

A lot of the posts seem to be based on one day visits or drive throughs. If X(nominated town) is the best town in Cork you'd be living there, wouldn't you?;)
    Disney is great crack but I wouldn't want to live there

I live in Midleton and I like the place a lot, no problem walking home at 1am on a Friday or Saturday night, good shopping, good links to cork, easy access to loads of beaches, golf, great choice of restaurants, choice of gyms, local cinema, decent schools.....and loads of blow ins like me so the town doesn't feel too clannish.

In my limited experience of other towns in Cork it stacks up well.

• Advertisement

No, why? Any time i've been there i've enjoyed it and been impressed by it. As a Cork native though, maybe you have a greater knowledge of the town. I'm only judging it from what i have experienced.

Cobh is chav central, but I forgot you were from Limerick so its probably a paradise to someone like yourself. :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Don't believe this thread hasn't been stopped after some of the things that have been said in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Just saying this cos I've seen some of the moderators on the GAA section getting quite touchy with some contributors for much less. Perhaps a place which is home to many people being insulted is not seen as being as bad as disagreeing with the opinion of an individual. I'm not saying this to offend, it's just an observation.

Orizio wrote: »
    Cobh is chav central, but I forgot you were from Limerick so its probably a paradise to someone like yourself. :D:p
    I live in west limerick, pretty much a chav free zone. But nice try! ;) Sure i know there are lots of travellers in Cobh, but the town from an aesthetical point of view is nice. Some beautiful buildings and a nice harbour.

*Cork City has its fair share of scobes, but if you ignore them, the city itself is terrific. The problem with Limerick City is, even when you take away the multitude of knackers, you're still left with an unsightly sh*thole with little going for it.

Johnnyjump wrote: »
    Just saying this cos I've seen some of the moderators on the GAA section getting quite touchy with some contributors for much less. Perhaps a place which is home to many people being insulted is not seen as being as bad as disagreeing with the opinion of an individual. I'm not saying this to offend, it's just an observation.

What exactly are you on about johnny? This isn't the GAA forum I may add, how things are moderating there is completely irrelevent to here.

Feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Mallow is a nice town but youghal is my favourite.It's a charming port town with plenty of pubs and restraunts.The worst is cobh by a clear mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ciano6

passage west would get my vote. spent years passing through the place. what a knacker hole. and now badly developed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sneem-man

ciano6 wrote: »
    passage west would get my vote. spent years passing through the place. what a knacker hole. and now badly developed as well.
    John Spillane won't be too impressed with your comments...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

brucer24! wrote: »
    Best- Kinsale is up there def!!
    worst- has to be buttevant. bandon a close 2nd

why? ive been living here all my life, wouldnt live anywhere else.

macroom is the worst for me, anytime iv been in shops or the pubs there the people there were so unwelcoming

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 salome74

can anybody reccommend somewhere nice to eat in Bantry please??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Sure i know there are lots of travellers in Cobh,g for it.

Theres no travelers in Cobh at all...Just laods of scumbags :D

I'm from there and all I can say is,I'm told its worse than Knocka.Since the town is situated on an inland Island people have developed the Island mentality,Lots of people are plain minded...But then again during the housing boom aload came form the city.

Cobh is a lovely place to live though,I always say to my friends that imagine we were walking around hanging out in a flat dull town like midleton((I love midleton but gawd,its so depressing too look at)).Dont get me wrong theres allot of great people here but god...allot of the others :(.

Passage West/Monks town is a lovely spot,Mind you jsut dont ehad to the abck of them :pac.

Youghl,,I dunno,I've just always found that too be and extremly boring spot,I have no idea why I just do.

I think most of Glanmire/Riverstown is a bit of an eyesore,Theres nothing really there but that shopping centre place and a bridge :p..oh and that river that seems to always be drained.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Ballincollig.

:rolleyes:

And Buttevant.

And Charterville.

Ew.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭neeb

Am I the only one who thinks Kinsale smells bad?

I like Ballincollig, good shops, nice roads, close to Cork, whats not to like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

neeb wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks Kinsale smells bad?

I thought I was the only one! I remember driving past the marina once when the tide was out and even with all the windows in the car closed the stench was absolutely sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

ciano6 wrote: »

I like passage west, its handy to park there on the way to the City (no problems parking, well there wasn't until they redid the foorpaths on Church Hill) theres a post office, bank, chemist and did I mention no problems parking.

There are some nice 1980s housing estates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Well I'm just gonna put the whole Dunmanway thing to bed, as the only native here it seems. The place is a hole, always has been, always will be, why? Well the people living there are some of the most begrudging, small minded, pessimistic people I have ever encountered.

RoyMc, your comments were coming from a nostalgic place but totally out-dated I'm afraid. The cinema was closed down a number of years ago now, the only decent secondary school was smashed into the other creating a set of incompetent and cliquish teachers, which has children being removed from it every day. Ballabuidhe was originally a horse trading fair and is now a half hearted excuse for drinking and the town square looks more or less like it has been put on pause for the past thirty years or so.

As you can tell, I am not Dunmanway's biggest fan and now I do everything I can to avoid it, returning only to see my family, but each time I do, I marvel at the total lack of change or progress. Has to be at least West Cork's most depressing town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Mackleton wrote: »
    Well I'm just gonna put the whole Dunmanway thing to bed, as the only native here it seems. The place is a hole, always has been, always will be, why? Well the people living there are some of the most begrudging, small minded, pessimistic people I have ever encountered.

RoyMc, your comments were coming from a nostalgic place but totally out-dated I'm afraid. The cinema was closed down a number of years ago now, the only decent secondary school was smashed into the other creating a set of incompetent and cliquish teachers, which has children being removed from it every day. Ballabuidhe was originally a horse trading fair and is now a half hearted excuse for drinking and the town square looks more or less like it has been put on pause for the past thirty years or so.

As you can tell, I am not Dunmanway's biggest fan and now I do everything I can to avoid it, returning only to see my family, but each time I do, I marvel at the total lack of change or progress. Has to be at least West Cork's most depressing town.

Nooo, say it ain't so :( Next chance I get I'm gonna spend a couple of days there to see for myself. I admit I still see the place through a sort of a golden haze from many years ago. But thanks for an honest view from an actual Doheny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Drawing Dead

best - glengarriff

worst - drimoleague

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

salome74 wrote: »

The maritime hotel. Food there is savage or else their is a place called Oconnors as far as i can remember near AIB.

Does a mean steak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Just browzing and saw this. From Dublin, the capital and would like to add my comments.

Some of my best memories are from Cork. I think its a wonderful place. Used to stay out in Killeagh when the Mrs was doing the Ballycotten 10. We took our holidays for about 6 or 7 years in other parts of Cork. Cork people I found to be very friendly. Some towns however could have done with a slap of paint.

I liked all of East Cork, Youghal was good.
    West Cork excellent esp Bantry. Didt see anything you would not see in any other county. The Country is unfortunatley full of undesirables. One thing I did notice ON THIS THREAD WAS HOW MANY PEOPLE USE THE WORD SCUMBAG. Its a horrible word and if used to freely it sticks.

Fav. Clon.. found the people friendly enough
    Least Fav Kinsale. Full of assholes who think they are experts on glorious art. Like Malahide up here
    Anyway talk your place up not down!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

best - glengarriff

Are you mad, a place of inbred nutters, out to skin you alive and sell you carcass back to you.

Bomb it and Killarney and you would do more for Irish tourism than 40 years of Bord Failte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

Im gonna jump on the hating Dunmanway Band wagon as well.. its a dull depressing hole, i have nothing nice to say about the place, used go out there when i was younger and there was always fights there, even now 10 yrs on if i drive thru there at say 3 or 4 on a sat night there is people asleep on the street.
    the shops have nothing in them.. and the traffic can be a pain in the ass.

fav town is either Clon or skibb In west cork or Cobh in East Cork, i spent 6 yrs livin in cobh and loved it.
    Best place? I think Durrus is nice. Although, I would have to say that because I used to live there ;)
    There's nothing to do, but that's entirely the point. You just go there, look at the amazing views and chill.

Really??? i live in Durrus..:confused::rolleyes:

While we're on the topic of worst towns, why does the AIB in Buttevant not have any ATM? Thats just ridiculous. I've never seen it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The town itself I have never liked as i lived there, but the Park in Doneraile is a must if you have never been there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

The town itself I have never liked as i lived there, but the Park in Doneraile is a must if you have never been there.

Agreed with the Park visit. The walks, deer, scenery and stuff, not to be missed.

Best towns; always thought Kildorrery was quite nice. Kilworth also has its charms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Aug2009

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Bandon is a nice town IMO.I think macroom is the worst town in county cork

Definitley not - Millstreet gets my nul point then Mallow and then Cobh

Macroom, Clonakilty, Bandon and Bantry are the nicest.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Aug2009

salome74 wrote: »

Willie Pas - a few miles on the D'way side of Bantry - Beautiful.

Otherwise O'Connors in the town.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Not being smart here but there's a constant whiff of shit around Mitchelstown. I know it's silage season and slurry's being spread for aftergrass, but as soon as you get over the Gloccamara on the motorway from the Cork side it's just rank!! Of course the hot weather doesn't help either

/rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Best Bantry , had some great times in the muscle fairs in past years.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭hego19

Best-Clonakilty or Roscarbery! love nothing better than chilling out and walking around clon or going for lunch in ross

Worst-can't say I love west cork!

flying down next monday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Midleton has a good few places to shop and stuff but gawd it is a dull town...its so flat and uninteresting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Prabhu Deva

worst has to be Castletownbere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Sorry to hijak the thread but...

Anyone know if Murnane's of Bantry is still open/ in business?? Nobody answering the phone there at the moment.

Don't fancy a wasted trip down!

Cheers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

ynwa_17 wrote: »
    Best would have to be Kinsale or Clon. Both are fantastic for going out.
    Well why is this in today's newspaper?

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/town-moves-to-end-antisocial-behaviour-148092.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Paddigol wrote: »
    Sorry to hijak the thread but...

Anyone know if Murnane's of Bantry is still open/ in business?? Nobody answering the phone there at the moment.

Don't fancy a wasted trip down!

Cheers...
    Murnane`s cloths shop? Murnane and oshea?

cloths shop closed down,builders about to close down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

mp22 wrote: »
    builders about to close down

They have been around for a long time AFAIK, must be one recession to many, or was it stupidity during the "boom"

Murnane`s cloths shop? Murnane and oshea?

cloths shop closed down,builders about to close down

You ****ting me, can't see Bob getting that extended

they have been going near enough 50 years

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Rash purchases of land during the boom,allegedly!

Rash purchases of land during the boom,allegedly!

That will screw the place if they go under:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,603 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

TheDriver wrote: »
    I would have to say Charleville for its lack of town development, lack of shopping, traffic jams and people never seem the most friendly

Yes getting some pretty bad publicity at the moment :p

Advertisement