Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish National Cuisine

• 01-08-2008 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

all i can think of are the different types of bread you can get here... soda bread (northern and southern varieties), potato bread etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

curry chips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Breakfast Rolls!!!!

Oh, and white pudding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Coddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Boxti - I'm from Waterford and I had never heard of it before I met my ex who was from Leitrim.....its made of gratted up potato mixed with flour and a pinch of salt, you mix it all together and then fry like a pancake. Is really yum yum yum.....

Blaa - a bread roll unique to waterford. TBH it probably originally was brought to the area by french settlers but we made it our own :D

Tripe - my dublin friends have no idea what I'm talking about when I talk about tripe, but maybe that is just them!! :p

Can't think of any others off the top of my head really except that obviously there are more fishy dishes in areas where there is a fishing port - bit hard to get just caught fresh mackeral or peri-winkles in the midlands like you can in waterford or wexford....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭XxlauraxX

Colcannon,Champ,Irish stew,potato farls,soda bread, wheaten bread, soda farls, and blaa all i can think of at the moment :D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

There's two kinds I reckon...stuff our ancestors here used to make and local ingredients.

In the first category, any food source that will grow/live in/on concrete!! Cabbage, potatoes, mutton, carrots, etc.

In the second, Dublin Bay prawns and seafood all around the coast, plus gooseberries, blackberries, strawberries, etc.

Irish Stew is the nicest food in the world, but only when me Mam makes it!

Advertisement