Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my boxer dog has dry skin help please!

Options
  • 01-08-2008 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭

hello all,

i have 2 boxer doggies and 1 of them has really dry skin im wondering if anyone here has any advice to give me on what i can do to treat it or if there is anything i can feed him to keep it away for good it seems to be iritating him alot, i have been to the vets a few times because of this but it has never went away for good ive tried changing his diet lots of times and i think ive tried all the medication for dogs but it all seems to just ease it for a while.

any advice would be great.

markos.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

Lots of boxers get this, if its very bad and with itching i would take back to the vet for some meds to help relive the itch and also to check its nothing serious also i have found that RC skin food cant remember the prob name, is very good for it. Also as he has got this a few times ask for a skin scraping just in case its some parasite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

he could be allergic to his food, what do you feed him at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

My Boxer has very dry skin aswell. I had to bring her to the vets a couple of times and get shampoo and it works for a while. I have started giving her a capsule of cod liver oil every day and it seems to be working as she hasn't been itching so much, and she loves Cod liver oil! you have make sure you don't give too much though as it can make the coat very greasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

As long as there is no underlying reason and it's not open and sore try a shampoo that contains tee tree and ideally Neem oil as well or an oatmeal type shampoo. If you can find a shampoo that is as natural as possible and doesn't contain any sls or whatever they are called.
    Although not a good idea to bathe a dog too often.
    Avoid any spray on doggy deoderants etc.

I found an excellent oil for dogs with skin probs is Seven Seas coat conditioner or the moult tonic for dogs I have used it for my collie who sometimes has dry dandruffy type skin esp when she's moulting. It's really good and they love it economical as you only give a tiny bit a day or drizzle it over their food.

Advertisement