Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why is the clutch so stiff? (Citroen Berlingo)

Options
  • 01-08-2008 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Had a look at a Citroen Berlingo today. (1.4 passenger - not a commercial). I took the plunge and put a deposit on it. The only major problem (if it is a problem) that I picked up on, is that the clutch was quite stiff under foot. The gears themselves changed quite fluidly. Is there anything that can/should be done to improve the smoothness of the clutch? I don't think it's a van-thing, as I test-drove a Kangoo of the same vintage (2001)this morning and a 1999 Berlingo last week and in both cases, the clutch was nice and soft.

The other thing I was wondering about was the timing-belt. There's 67k on the clock and nothing written on the engine or in the service booklet to indicate it has ever been replaced to date. The dealer said she would check with the previous owner and if the t/b was due to be done, she'd get it looked after before I collect the car next week. Anyone know at what interval the t/b should be done in a Berlingo? I don't have the driver's manual yet. And would I know from looking at the t/b if the dealer has genuinely replaced it?

The dealer also said the car would be serviced if necessary... I don't think they have any records from the previous owner to indicate when the van was last serviced. I want to be sure the car is serviced before I drive it away. How can I check they genuinely serviced for me?

Sorry for all these gormless questions, thanks! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

The clutch was stiff on mine until i got the clutch cable changed, not sure if your car would have a hydraulic clutch though so maybe thats not it.

You get used to it though, sure you start leaning to one side while standing and if you ever drive a mates car you'll probably put your foot through the footwell! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

boomerang wrote: »
    Had a look at a Citroen Berlingo today. (1.4 passenger - not a commercial). I took the plunge and put a deposit on it. The only major problem (if it is a problem) that I picked up on, is that the clutch was quite stiff under foot.

I want to be sure the car is serviced before I drive it away. How can I check they genuinely serviced for me?

There may be a problem with the clutch cable or hydraulics - depending on what's fitted.

You can reassure yourself of the service by checking to see if the oil filter and air filter are new as these parts should be replaced - but that's no guarantee that other operations have been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I've been told by a friend in the trade that they're a well-established and well-regarded dealer, they're also SIMI registered and are giving me a six months warranty, so I am fairly confident they will do everything as promised. But being cautious little ol' me, I just want to be sure!

When I go back to collect the car, I want to be sure

- timing belt has been done
    - car has had a full service and so does not need oil change etc. for six months
    - clutch is working as it should be

I don't ask for much, do I? :D But the way I see it is, if you pay the premium to buy from a dealer rather than a private sale, then you should expect the car to be in the best condition possible when you drive it out the door. :)

@ HJL - my other drive is a 1986 VW transporter with stiff pedals, so I know exactly what you mean, LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 brundlefly

not an expert so feel free to disregard...
    clutches can vary between cars models etc but sometimes you just need a spanner...http://www.carcare.org/Manual_Transmission/clutch_linkage.shtml .
    change the timing belt. no matter what it costs it wont be as much as a new engine and then you can be sure of when it was changed.even a knackered timing belt can sometimes look new.
    he has offered so make sure the dealer does a full service on it before you hand over cash.
    you can make sure its done by putting a little mark on the filters and plugs (something that cannot be wiped away)and checking that they have been changed before you leave the garage .

ask some friends if they have a reputable mechanic who might look at it ...if the dealer is confident there should be no problem with this .

remember cars arent selling so fast these days so he wants your sale ,use it to your advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

@ HJL - my other drive is a 1986 VW transporter with stiff pedals, so I know exactly what you mean, LOL!

Yeah, i should have pointed out that my car is a Seat Ibiza '98, VAG drivers have the left leg of a horse! LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Clutch shouldnt be stiff in these cars and it may well need new clutch and pressure plate etc. Most dealers wont look at a clutch job under warranty so be wary. If you really have to buy it, point out to the dealer that you feel the clutch is on the way out and try to get something in writing to say that they would cover it if it was to fail soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

The clutch is quite heavy also on my peugeot partner(same as a berlingo) I just thought it was one of those things...Its never reaally bothered me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The clutch on the Xsara with the same engine is heavy too. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

ya i have a peugeot partner aswell and i find the clutch stiff... but its done alot of miles now.. over 200,000

You see that's the thing - I took another Berlingo (1.9 diesel) for a test drive, and also a Renault Kangoo (1.2 petrol) - and neither of them had a stiff clutch like this one - when I put my foot on the pedal, there was a lot of resistance. This car only came into the dealer in the last two weeks so they hadn't even valeted it when I called to see it. The salesperson said no car leaves their forecourt without a service and everything needed being done, be it tyres, wipers, timing belt etc., and she also said she would have the clutch checked out before I collect it later this week.

I'm still worried, but so long as they do all the things they've promised, I'll drive away fairly happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You see that's the thing - I took another Berlingo (1.9 diesel) for a test drive, and also a Renault Kangoo (1.2 petrol) - and neither of them had a stiff clutch like this one - when I put my foot on the pedal, there was a lot of resistance. This car only came into the dealer in the last two weeks so they hadn't even valeted it when I called to see it. The salesperson said no car leaves their forecourt without a service and everything needed being done, be it tyres, wipers, timing belt etc., and she also said she would have the clutch checked out before I collect it later this week.

I'm still worried, but so long as they do all the things they've promised, I'll drive away fairly happy.

Drive a petrol facelift Xsara and compare the clutch. Our old one was hard anyway. Definitely compared to the Yaris and a little more so than the Astra and Corsa

Thanks for the advice... My previous car was a 1999 Astra - the clutch was very soft in comparison with this Berlingo.

Advertisement