Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kid rock , number 1 in ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

irish_bob wrote: »
    came across this on another site and it pretty much sums the whole thing up

When you consider what this is trying to do, what lowest common denominator it's aiming to please ... it's pure genius. Kid touches all the nostalgic summer anthem bases: getting stoned, dancin', fishin' and ****in'. No interweb, but hey, those were different times, right?

A guaranteed hit. Never, ever, underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

I'm not mad into music, but its a nice easy listening song :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

I'm not mad into music, but its a nice easy listening song :confused:

the song is intended to appeal to those who are not into music

good luck to you and the record company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

It's number 1 in Britain too - fair play to him - he's been releasing stuff since the early '90s - most other acts would have burned out by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

People hit he nail on the head with this one.

I know exactly the kind of ****ers that caused this to be popular. It's the generic, identikit scobes and wide-jawed students who loop "When you're gone" over and over and over.

The problem with this country is that there's too much homogeny, not enough diversity. It's too easy to appeal to the lowest common denominator since it represents the majority of young Irish people so absolutely.

It's really saddening, though, that it reached Number 1 in Britian too, where they still have subcultures and whatnot. I blame the Arctic Monkeys and shift for sucking the soul out of british rock and indie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭tinkletoes

Hate the song. Cant believe it even got into charts

• Advertisement

Nolanger wrote: »
    It's number 1 in Britain too - fair play to him - he's been releasing stuff since the early '90s - most other acts would have burned out by now.

shamelessnes will do that , make you stick around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

I dont think you can just blame the kids for whats happening in popular music today.
    Its my opinion that mainstream radio must shoulder alot of the blame.
    Its down to the decisions of a few dozen people as to what the general public are going to be subjected to over the airways.

The problem with this country is that there's too much homogeny, not enough diversity. It's too easy to appeal to the lowest common denominator since it represents the majority of young Irish people so absolutely.

Theres nothing worse than music elitests

Seriously, if i asked you guys who you're favourite bands are you'd more than likely name some bands that most people would never heard of, but then if these bands become more famous all of a sudden they're crap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I agree with you Fighting Irish.

I guarantee if most of these people's favourite songs had been released by Kid Rock, otherwise sounding the exact same, they wouldn't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭jayhaitch2

I'm willing to bet it was made No1 by the same type of halfwits who got that Journey song back in the charts just because it was in the end of the Sopranos.

It'll be added to the Irish club megamix that includes, Brown eyed Girl, 500 miles, Summer of 69, Living on a prayer and other such rubbish. (I actually refer to it as the culchie megamix but thats just me stereotyping)

Shocking bad song.

People are disappointing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's an OK song. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but I've heard far worse. Kid Rock has some decent songs.
    I know exactly the kind of ****ers that caused this to be popular. It's the generic, identikit scobes and wide-jawed students who loop "When you're gone" over and over and over.

That's just plain pathetic - there's a reason that there's more then one genre in music, people have different taste - if a song reaches number one, what does that tell you? More people liked it then not? At the very least, that a lot of people like it. That sort of blanket comment only makes you look like a fool, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Forget Sweet Home Alabama: using elements of Werewolves of London by the late, great Warren Zevon is the worse crime.

+1

Its a disgrace
    Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Ya ya ya, we all know its a ****ty song.. making complete balls of older songs.. but what can ya do.. whats done is done and cannot be undone.
    So, what im saying is: Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

yeah well thats my opinion .. get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

Seriously, if i asked you guys who you're favourite bands are you'd more than likely name some bands that most people would never heard of, but then if these bands become more famous all of a sudden they're crap

if i seen kid rock perform his brand of jock rock to 3 men and a unappreciative dog in a basement club it wouldn't take on some magic quality that’s missing in it’s current mass marketed form. It’s bad music, popular or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

It's because of our education system - turning out drones who all think the same way. I reckon Kid Rock will be playing the RDS soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

this isn't even a song, its just a meandering melody made up over sweet home alabama, absolutely crap but at least its not crazy frog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I listened to it on Youtube today and it is so **** it is laughable.

jayhaitch2 wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet it was made No1 by the same type of halfwits who got that Journey song back in the charts just because it was in the end of the Sopranos.

It'll be added to the Irish club megamix that includes, Brown eyed Girl, 500 miles, Summer of 69, Living on a prayer and other such rubbish. (I actually refer to it as the culchie megamix but thats just me stereotyping)

Shocking bad song.

People are disappointing!!!

as a culchie , i know exactly what you mean mate

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

It may be ****e but people can listen to what they want.

Good luck to anyone who want s to listen to any form of music. Theres a few contributors here who need to get over themselves with their musical arrogance, its ****ing boring and tired at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

jayhaitch2 wrote: »

I agree but come on, it is a muck song from a muck finale of a once great show which sold out at the very last.

irish_bob wrote: »
    its the whole package that stinks , the song ticks every box in terms of what young carefree people like to do in the summer
    drinking , getting stoned and screwing
    it brings new meaning to the term naff and cliche

So releasing any song that reminds people of good times is cliched?

This tune reminds me of the aforementioned in fields in the summers of 06, 05, 04, 03......basically before last summer. Im starting to forget what long days in the fields were like, seeing as we are into a second year of weather that doesnt allow you a few cans out the back for more than a half hour, nevermind a proper outdoor session.

And anyway, come on like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_1_Singles_in_Ireland_2008

It is REALLY worse than Basshunter?
    That fookin cat Ronnie Drew tribute? (I like trad drinking music, but this is a calamity)
    ****ing Galway Girl? Christ is there a more typical Coppers/Crawdaddy muck anthem you can get?
    Duffy? Guffy more like.

By a long mile it is the best of the ones on that list Ive heard.

And jesus, look at 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_1_Singles_in_Ireland_2007

Four weeks of a fat yank with an awful warbling half Jamaican accent.
    That dick Mika. 7 weeks! The only remotely entertaining thing Ive seen to do with the guy was in a Glasgow McDonalds at around 11am with some mad Scottish junkie bouncing around singing Big Girls You Are Beautiful until the security man threw him out :)
    March 29th- How to Save a Life. If I had to listen to it again Id be looking for tips on how to take my own life.

Nolanger wrote: »
    It's because of our education system - turning out drones who all think the same way. I reckon Kid Rock will be playing the RDS soon!

i couldn't name any other kid rock songs, all i know is this one caught my attention

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

To those people having a dose of the vapours due to their disappointment in "people", specifically those "people" that have the gall to like music that you don't, just think of it this way, it's because there are so many of those "people" that you're so special!

FFS :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

shane86 wrote: »
    And anyway, come on like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_1_Singles_in_Ireland_2008

It is REALLY worse than Basshunter?
    That fookin cat Ronnie Drew tribute? (I like trad drinking music, but this is a calamity)
    ****ing Galway Girl? Christ is there a more typical Coppers/Crawdaddy muck anthem you can get?
    Duffy? Guffy more like.

By a long mile it is the best of the ones on that list Ive heard.

And jesus, look at 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_1_Singles_in_Ireland_2007

Four weeks of a fat yank with an awful warbling half Jamaican accent.
    That dick Mika. 7 weeks! The only remotely entertaining thing Ive seen to do with the guy was in a Glasgow McDonalds at around 11am with some mad Scottish junkie bouncing around singing Big Girls You Are Beautiful until the security man threw him out :)
    March 29th- How to Save a Life. If I had to listen to it again Id be looking for tips on how to take my own life.

I think, 2001 was the low point for the Irish Singles Chart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_1_Singles_in_Ireland_2001

Check it out. Only decent song on there is Stan. The rest are either ****e, or I have no recollection of them, which isn't exactly the mark of a good song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

People hit he nail on the head with this one.

It's really saddening, though, that it reached Number 1 in Britian too, where they still have subcultures and whatnot. I blame the Arctic Monkeys and shift for sucking the soul out of british rock and indie.

I agree with you about the lack of diversity, particularly concerning young people in Ireland and students. I think this is reflected in the crap Irish music scene, its just not exciting.
    Can't agree with you about the Arctic Monkeys though, they're one of the exceptions when it comes to current British indie music, which is pretty poor at the moment IMO.

In regards to this song, it's pants. Aims to please the drunk and stupid and succeeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

It's not because it's popular, it's because it's ****e. "Pop rock" music of previous eras was not this bad. Remember that stuff like Depeche Mode was once very "mainstream" but still a lot more inventive. I'll listen to Eric Clapton if I feel like it and I'll still call that good music. Kid Rock is not good music.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'm no music elitist, I listen to a lot of pop but why bother listening to this song when you could just listen to sweet home alabama? I'm interested, do people prefer this to sweet home alabama or what? Or is it that they don't necessarily prefer it, but this is being played at the moment and sweet home alabama isn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

I saw that Kid Rock on the Run DMC reality (reality me arse) show on mtv the other day.
    Two tools for the price of one!

Shoot them all and let god sort it out!

I'm no music elitist, I listen to a lot of pop but why bother listening to this song when you could just listen to sweet home alabama? I'm interested, do people prefer this to sweet home alabama or what? Or is it that they don't necessarily prefer it, but this is being played at the moment and sweet home alabama isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sweet Home Alabama is a good awful song in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Sweet Home Alabama is a good awful song in itself.

So yer undecided, then?

Advertisement