Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

router for magnet broadband??

Options
  • 01-08-2008 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

hi, just wondering will all routers work with magnet broadband or will i need a specific one because its fibre optic??
    can anyone recommend a router thats good and cheap?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I got a dlink dkt 110 kit can be got for nothing now!they just use your lan cable that comes out of your cable modem so they're easy to set up.Belkin netgear all do these too

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=346636
    that does the job

and all of these
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10281

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RICKIB3

hi,

i am with imagine broadband and they offered a wireless router for €4.99 a month and they offer a great service and they do the best rates i ever came across.... a lot of people are on eircom and dont understand that all these companies like eircom, magnet, bt, perlico thst these are **** and i would recommend imagine anytime!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Moe7

Hi there,

I was just looking to answer the same problem, I just moved into a development where Magnet was my only choice, they have informed me that to set up a wireless router i need to click a çable connection'box and thats it, another lady told me to tell whoever i was buying a rouer from (they dont recommend or provide any) that i have a fiber optic connection, now i went to PC world picked up the first belkin that had çable connection'on it and ran it by their support guys, they told me it wouldn't work, now i dont have a modem in my apartment, just ethernets sticking out my wall, my gut feeling is that it should work, but i've bought the wrong router before and don't wanna do it again, any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DrBB

If you are in their normal FTTH development, well by normal I assume its the same as mine.

It all seems to be provisioned over Ethernet, there is a layer2 switch in the magnet box if you have one.

You basically need any device that can DHCP an IP over a WAN interface. I briefly had a Linksys WRT54GL router connected and it ran fine.

(Actually come to think of it I think I didn't have the cable plugged into the WAN uplink port and actually put it in one of the normal 'hub/switch' ports.

Can't remember exactly sorry :(, suffice to say it worked in one of the ports anyway!

(And by worked I mean as a router with NAT etc, not just as an additional switch)

Hey thanks for the proompt reply, i dont get the DHCP part, im not much of a wirless tech head im afraid, will a 'for cable' wirless router work? are these difficult to set up?
    DrBB wrote: »
    If you are in their normal FTTH development, well by normal I assume its the same as mine.

It all seems to be provisioned over Ethernet, there is a layer2 switch in the magnet box if you have one.

You basically need any device that can DHCP an IP over a WAN interface. I briefly had a Linksys WRT54GL router connected and it ran fine.

(Actually come to think of it I think I didn't have the cable plugged into the WAN uplink port and actually put it in one of the normal 'hub/switch' ports.

Can't remember exactly sorry :(, suffice to say it worked in one of the ports anyway!

(And by worked I mean as a router with NAT etc, not just as an additional switch)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 DrBB

Moe7 wrote: »
    Hey thanks for the proompt reply, i dont get the DHCP part, im not much of a wirless tech head im afraid, will a 'for cable' wirless router work? are these difficult to set up?

Ideally you just want a 'generic' broadband router, one that would have a cable modem or adsl modem fed into it.

A cable one 'should' work. The Linksys one I had was just a case of plugging it in and it was running away happily (after securing the wifi etc!).

Will give it a try and let u know, thanks dude[
    quote=DrBB;56767114]Ideally you just want a 'generic' broadband router, one that would have a cable modem or adsl modem fed into it.

A cable one 'should' work. The Linksys one I had was just a case of plugging it in and it was running away happily (after securing the wifi etc!).[/quote]

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

RICKIB3 wrote: »
    hi,

i am with imagine broadband and they offered a wireless router for €4.99 a month and they offer a great service and they do the best rates i ever came across.... a lot of people are on eircom and dont understand that all these companies like eircom, magnet, bt, perlico thst these are **** and i would recommend imagine anytime!

Magnet is not a eircom reseller, so your wrong
    Also your wasting your money renting a router...just buy one their not expensive

Advertisement