Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Admin] Request to move the economics forum

Options
  • 01-08-2008 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭

Hello, this is a request to move the economics forum into either 'soc' or 'science'.

Given the popularity of economics among the general populace, it is rather surprising to find that the economics forum is emptyer than a scottish pay-toilet. The reason for this is that it is cunningly hidden in the 'personal' section of the business parent forum. In every university in the world, economics is taught as a humanities and/or science subject. For example, my degree is in Economics & History. Nesf, who was in my class, studied Economics & Philosophy. I know another who studied Economics & Politics. One of the most popular degrees in Trinity is Economics/Politics/Philosophy.

The reason I am highlighting these is because the above subjects are all listed under 'soc' and attract reasonable numbers of posters. I think that the economics forum could be attracting a lot more numbers, and has regulars with the required knowledge to field the laymans queries. I feel the case for moving the forum to 'soc' is stronger than for moving it to 'science' though I would welcome any argument in favour of the latter. What do you say?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What do you say?
    How much is it worth to you to move it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Does it have naked wimminz?

NO?

Leave it there so...:(

:pac:

/sorry

Edit: I think you need to study poster migration a bit more - boardsies tend to have a set of fora they use and seldom wander outside of this unless they are looking for something in particular. There are exceptions though.

If you want to promote a forum, put a link in your sig and encourage other frequent users to do the same - then do a sherifu for a few days / weeks to spread the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

I agree that it should be moved to either Soc or Science. Failing that, it needs to be moved from 'personal' to the business parent forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

i really enjoy this forum and i think it deserves to be placed in either of the reccomended new locations. so i completely support this request

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Agree with moving as well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

:eek:

You get around a lot for a new dood OP.

It's like, he has all these ideas to make thing better n shizz.

I for one am going to get behind this guy now, before the inevitable fame.
    I'm kinda like the first emo to ever look at Pete Wentz and say "he's cool, I guess."
    OK so it inevitably reduces me to the status of dilettante, but at least I'll have that.
    That and these elan shares.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Is it time to start a crusade.... where's rb?

:pac:< free the economics forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Sparks wrote: »
    How much is it worth to you to move it?

A lot.

SteveC wrote: »
    Edit: I think you need to study poster migration a bit more - boardsies tend to have a set of fora they use and seldom wander outside of this unless they are looking for something in particular. There are exceptions though.

I understand this, but the problem for me is its elusive location under biz->personal. I honestly thought there was no economics forum for a few months until I started asking around. I can only assume that a significant number of people don't realise its location and also assume it isn't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Yes, definetely agree, I only found it eventually through another user's modship link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I dont have a problem with it being moved.
    Id put it under Soc fwiw.

OP has a good point - its kind of in the back waters at the moment and with so much presstime being devoted to the subject, moving it to Soc should be beneficial to the whole site.

OP has a good point - its kind of in the back waters at the moment and with so much presstime being devoted to the subject, moving it to Soc should be beneficial to the whole site.

Thats a good point actually, there seems to be some (unwarranted) hysteria in the press regarding the economic situation in this country. I think a forum with a few economics heads providing their expertise may come in handy for some (if they could find it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

And economics is intertwined with politics in the real world so i think the request to move it would be legit.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'd be happy to see it moved to Soc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It would make sense to move it there IMHO. The Accommodation/Property and Politics forums are in Soc and they're kinda related to Economics.

Well, any word from the powers that be?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

this is one of those ideas I've had that I never bothered to ask about. it should be in the Soc category all right. so +1 to this idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I support this request.

I'm fed up being stuck out in the sticks.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I think Sci would be a better option, we do have a Nobel Prize after all...

• Advertisement

As I said, soc or sci would do me.

nesf wrote: »

it's a social science. i guess either would do, but i think Soc is better as there is a considerable amount of existing economic discussions or overlapping discussions in that category already.

another thing slightly o/t: oscar would it be possible to put a link to the economics forum in the politics forum? from time to time quite a few discussions of the economy pop up there that would probably be better served in the economics forum, but i don't think some people know it exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

it's a social science.

You say that like it's such a dirty word... ;)

You say that like it's such a dirty word... ;)

well i was going to say pseudo science first but had to check myself :)

lol

Well once it is no longer of sub-forum of Sligo, I don't mind.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

+1

Correct me if I'm wrong. But just about every person who is involved with the economics forum would like to see it moved. So, admin, it is over to you!

Could we have a response from admin please?

:)

Admins are very busy - I imagine they will get to it when they have the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

For what it's worth, I support this too.

Advertisement