Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best BMW Service dealer in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Robbie,
    You'll get your chance to vent again in an altogether more meaningful way shortly I think. Any time I've had work done at a dealer I've had a phone call from BMW Ireland customer service within a few weeks, with a short customer satisfaction survey and an opportunity to comment on service received. This counts towards a dealer's CSI (customer satisfaction index) and makes up a large part of a dealer's monthly bonus and they are followed up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Not that I've had any personal experience, but McKeon's in Kells seem to have a good rep in general.

Darragh, the point of this thread is to name the best BMW dealer with whom Anan1 could deal for the service which he doesn't have to shell out for.

He does not want to know why he should or shouln'd use a BMW dealer, he just wants a recommendation in those paramaters. And also that €1,000 spent will most likely see a return when he goes to sell and has a genuine FBMWSH as opposed to back alley greasemonkey, regardless of which gives a better quality of workmanship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I gotta agree - Darragh, I think your posts in this thread have been wildly off-topic and needlessly "ranting".

If you can constructively help the OP find a good dealer, so be it. Otherwise stop taking the thread OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,438 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

AudiChris wrote: »
    I gotta agree - Darragh, I think your posts in this thread have been wildly off-topic and needlessly "ranting".

If you can constructively help the OP find a good dealer, so be it. Otherwise stop taking the thread OT.

+1

Back on topic. I've had a good service experience with Murphy&Gunn in Milltown. The head mechanic took the time to have a chat with me. They were professional, knowledgeable and courteous - as you'd expect from a premium brand main dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Darragh29 wrote: »
    If you could stay on topic, a clutch replacement is not covered by this service package, neither are brake discs. Listen, you take your BMW to Joe Duffy and he'll teach you not to spend 1000 Euro on 4 oil changes again!

Why would you have to replace the clutch on a new car within 5 years?

If the clutch went that early, forget about the service package, that'd be covered under warranty.

All garages have apprentices, do you think fully qualified mechanics just fall out of their mothers wombs? And of course the apprentices are going to be given the jobs like oil changes and run of the mill servicing jobs with the more senior/knowledgable mechanics doing trickier things.

Sounds like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder Darragh, bit of badge envy methinks!!

• Advertisement

Tails142 wrote: »
    bit of badge envy methinks!!

It's a Beemer, not a Lamborghini:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ninty9er wrote: »
    And a 320d at that.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

ninty9er wrote: »

Speaks volumes of the mentality I'm talking about... I've already said 3 times where the OP should go with regard to his requirements. I can't understand why the only people who ask this question on this forum generally tend to be BMW drivers. It's like they really want to announce what they are driving (don't forget to mention that they are driving a "premium brand" here and want to get it properly taken care of!), rather than take advice with regard to where they can get it serviced. The dogs on the street know where the BMW dealeships in Dublin are ffs...

Why would you have to replace the clutch on a new car within 5 years?

If the clutch went that early, forget about the service package, that'd be covered under warranty.

In your dreams pal...
    All garages have apprentices, do you think fully qualified mechanics just fall out of their mothers wombs? And of course the apprentices are going to be given the jobs like oil changes and run of the mill servicing jobs with the more senior/knowledgable mechanics doing trickier things.

Yes, that is the reality, so the question has to be asked, why are BMW talking absolute horsesh*te about "fully trained technicians" and Professionals, when an apprentice is obviously neither of these things
    Sounds like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder Darragh, bit of badge envy methinks!!

Not at all, what gets to me is charging a customer, for example, recently having to charge a customer 400 Euro for replacing a crankshaft pulley on a 320D, 80% of the cost was the cost of acquiring the part from BMW, leaving me with (A) a 20% gross margin on the job, and (B), a customer who was still insisting that I was a "robbing cu*t". I know if this customer went to BMW and got an invoice for 600 Euro for the same job, he/she would be delighted because the mentality would be, "after all my car is a BMW, I'm driving a premium brand". I'm sorry if I come across as off topic or angry, maybe I am guilty of both, but as someone running a business just trying to cover my costs and make a small profit so that I can reinvest and by doing so grow my business, this type of situation is all too common for me and I can only say that in my humble experience, it is BMW specific...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I know that this is way off topic, but I'll go there......

Darragh29, you seem to have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to either main dealers or premium brands. On a diagnosis front you seem to be quite competent. So I'll assume you're and indy repairer/dealer.

Have you tried apply to become a BMW authorised repairer? Have you seen the requirements? Would you meet them? Do you know the real reason Maxwell Motors are discontinuing the BMW franchise?

At the end of the day, BMW have standards and they employ people to visit dealers to ensure that these standards are met. Very few, if any Indys are up to this standard - that is not to say that some indys are any less competent as people.

But the burden of proof on the owner is a lot less with main dealer invoices than having to prove that the indy kept things within manufacturers spec when it comes to warranty claims.

• Advertisement

Speaks volumes of the mentality I'm talking about... I've already said 3 times where the OP should go with regard to his requirements.
    Thing is, Darragh, you don't appear to know what you're talking about. Your advice is therefore worthless to me. And yet you keep giving it. Why?
    I can't understand why the only people who ask this question on this forum generally tend to be BMW drivers.
    This is complete rubbish. People ask this question daily, about all kinds of cars. I've asked for servicing recommendations for several makes myself.
    It's like they really want to announce what they are driving (don't forget to mention that they are driving a "premium brand" here and want to get it properly taken care of!), rather than take advice with regard to where they can get it serviced.
    Sorry to disappoint, Darragh, but it's not my car.
    The dogs on the street know where the BMW dealeships in Dublin are ffs...
    Do you actually understand the meaning of the word 'recommendation', Darragh? Do you?

crosstownk wrote: »
    I know that this is way off topic, but I'll go there......

Darragh29, you seem to have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to either main dealers or premium brands. On a diagnosis front you seem to be quite competent. So I'll assume you're and indy repairer/dealer.

Have you tried apply to become a BMW authorised repairer? Have you seen the requirements? Would you meet them? Do you know the real reason Maxwell Motors are discontinuing the BMW franchise?

At the end of the day, BMW have standards and they employ people to visit dealers to ensure that these standards are met. Very few, if any Indys are up to this standard - that is not to say that some indys are any less competent as people.

But the burden of proof on the owner is a lot less with main dealer invoices than having to prove that the indy kept things within manufacturers spec when it comes to warranty claims.

In fairness to all involved in this discussion, I don't want to go off topic, and the OP did ask for a recommendation, and in my opinion, I could not recommend any BMW dealer in Dublin for quality or service reasons and in particular, for value for money reasons. If anyone wants to continue this discussion, maybe a new thread is required. With regard to:

This is simply inaccurate. Until very recently, I've serviced and maintained BMW's up to 2007 very successfully. I can guarantee you that my BMW customers received a higher standard of customer and vehicle service than any BMW dealer in Dublin can offer. Every BMW, along with every other brand we serviced was returned to the customer fully valeted, washed & polished. We have the equipment to diagnose any BMW problem, or at least we have not had to send any BMW back to a dealership because we could not resolve the issue, this notion that only BMW can service a BMW is a complete myth, it is a complete and utter fraud, nothing less. I don't want to go off topic and probably am at this stage, but I'd gladly discuss further on a new thread...

In fairness to all involved in this discussion, I don't want to go off topic, and the OP did ask for a recommendation, and in my opinion, I could not recommend any BMW dealer in Dublin for quality or service reasons and in particular, for value for money reasons.
    So why are you posting?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

In fairness to all involved in this discussion, I don't want to go off topic, and the OP did ask for a recommendation, and in my opinion, I could not recommend any BMW dealer in Dublin for quality or service reasons and in particular, for value for money reasons. If anyone wants to continue this discussion, maybe a new thread is required. With regard to:

This is simply inaccurate. Until very recently, I've serviced and maintained BMW's up to 2007 very successfully. I can guarantee you that my BMW customers received a higher standard of customer and vehicle service than any BMW dealer in Dublin can offer. Every BMW, along with every other brand we serviced was returned to the customer fully valeted, washed & polished. We have the equipment to diagnose any BMW problem, or at least we have not had to send any BMW back to a dealership because we could not resolve the issue, this notion that only BMW can service a BMW is a complete myth, it is a complete and utter fraud, nothing less. I don't want to go off topic and probably am at this stage, but I'd gladly discuss further on a new thread...

Were you or were you not an authorised BMW repairer?

Because unless you were, you have no access to the most up to date BMW information, whether that be software downloads, recalls, workshop campaigns, solutions to known problems, etc, etc.

Anan1 wrote: »
    So why are you posting?

Because I've a lot of experience servicing & maintaing vehicles, (including BMW's, yes even 07 BM's!!!) and I assumed that you were open to objective discussion regarding the various options that are open to you. I work in the trade and I hear the stories day in and day out about "inclusive service packages" and what they really represent.

Because I've a lot of experience servicing & maintaing vehicles, (including BMW's, yes even 07 BM's!!!) and I assumed that you were open to objective discussion regarding the various options that are open to you. I work in the trade and I hear the stories day in and day out about "inclusive service packages" and what they really represent.
    Look, Darragh, I told you at the start that the car has service inclusive. It's also still under factory warranty. Given these two facts, do you really think I should bring it anywhere other than a BMW main dealer?

I was never and will never be an authoried BMW repairer. This has never stopped me resolving ANY issue that was presented to my business, EVER. This cod that only BMW can fix BMW's, this is what I'm talking about, this is not simply true. Obviously if BMW cannot get drivers to accept & digest this, then the 175 Euro/hr Service Dept's would not be feasible and would not exist.

Look, Darragh, I told you at the start that the car has service inclusive. It's also still under factory warranty. Given these two facts, do you really think I should bring it anywhere other than a BMW main dealer?

Under EU block exemption rules, BMW, (or any other manufacturer), cannot disturb your warranty (factory or otherwise), if you choose to have your needs met by an independent vehicle repairer. Do they tell you this on their website??? No, they appear to tell you the contary. I already said that you were sold 4 oil changes for 1000 Euro when you bought that service package...

Under EU block exemption rules, BMW, (or any other manufacturer), cannot disturb your warranty (factory or otherwise), if you choose to have your needs met by an independent vehicle repairer. Do they tell you this on their website??? No, they appear to tell you the contary. I already said that you were sold 4 oil changes for 1000 Euro when you bought that service package...
    Any chance you could answer the question?

Any chance you could answer the question?

Just did, you asked me "should you in all reality being your car anywhere other than to an authoried BMW dealer" and I gave you a reason why you can.

• Advertisement

Just did, you asked me "should you in all reality being your car anywhere other than to an authoried BMW dealer" and I gave you a reason why you can.
    Give me the name of an indy who'll do the work for a total of less than €0.

Because unless you were, you have no access to the most up to date BMW information, whether that be software downloads, recalls, workshop campaigns, solutions to known problems, etc, etc.

You have obviously been cossitted away in a main dealership for too long. The day is long long gone when independent garages are at any disadvantage when it comes to diagnostic capabilities, ECU upgrades, common fixes, recalls, etc.

what gets to me is charging a customer, for example, recently having to charge a customer 400 Euro for replacing a crankshaft pulley on a 320D, 80% of the cost was the cost of acquiring the part from BMW, leaving me with (A) a 20% gross margin on the job, and (B), a customer who was still insisting that I was a "robbing cu*t".

Your problem is of your own making, Darragh. Have a good old think about how you are managing your (BMW owning) customers expectations. In above case, give them a quote and explain it is expensive because the part is expensive. Show them the price of the part from your suppliers part list or even on line. Then tell them not to go ahead with yourself just yet. Actively encourage them to get a quote from a BMW dealer first and then get back to you if your quote is much better.

unkel wrote: »
    Your problem is of your own making, Darragh. Have a good old think about how you are managing your (BMW owning) customers expectations. In above case, give them a quote and explain it is expensive because the part is expensive. Show them the price of the part from your suppliers part list or even on line. Then tell them not to go ahead with yourself just yet. Actively encourage them to get a quote from a BMW dealer first and then get back to you if your quote is much better.

Sound's grand in theory. In practice, it simply isn't worth the hassle. I am sorry if I've come across here as combative, nobody here knows how frustrating it is dealing with this same issue on a daily basis... The problem is not of my own making at all, it's a no win situation from my position. At the end of the day, the only way I could run a normal business was to make a decision to take in no BMW's after having endless requests to cut labour or else shop around for cheaper parts. It's all very well servicing a BMW, then you find two wishbones that need to be replaced because the ball joints are worn and they are integrated with the wishbones on BM's, they cost 200 Euro a pop each before you turn a spanner. The most frustrating part is that when these cars end up in a BMW dealership and an invoice for over 1,000 Euro is waiting for the customer, that's grand, but if my invoice is over 500 Euro, I'm a robbing cu*t.

Sound's grand in theory. In practice, it simply isn't worth the hassle. I am sorry if I've come across here as combative, nobody here knows how frustrating it is dealing with this same issue on a daily basis... The problem is not of my own making at all, it's a no win situation from my position. At the end of the day, the only way I could run a normal business was to make a decision to take in no BMW's after having endless requests to cut labour or else shop around for cheaper parts. It's all very well servicing a BMW, then you find two wishbones that need to be replaced because the ball joints are worn and they are integrated with the wishbones on BM's, they cost 200 Euro a pop each before you turn a spanner. The most frustrating part is that when these cars end up in a BMW dealership and an invoice for over 1,000 Euro is waiting for the customer, that's grand, but if my invoice is over 500 Euro, I'm a robbing cu*t.
    I actually do have sympathy for your position, Darragh. But you have to ease up on the assumptions. I want to bring this car to a BMW main dealer because the servicing there will be free. The service inclusive has already been paid for. Surely you can understand this?

I actually do have sympathy for your position, Darragh. But you have to ease up on the assumptions. I want to bring this car to a BMW main dealer because the servicing there will be free. The service inclusive has already been paid for. Surely you can understand this?

I do, I'm not being intransigent, although I probably do come across like that...

To be blunt, your rant is defeatist and full of self-pity. Concentrate on convincing your (potential) customers that you'll do a better job for €500 than a dealer does for €1000. If you can deliver (as you clearly state you can), you will win

I do, I'm not being intransigent, although I probably do come across like that...
    You are being intransigent. In general, I agree that a good indy is preferable to a main dealer both in terms of cost and of quality of work. In this particular case, though, a main dealer is unarguably the best option. I'm distrustful of main dealers, which is why I asked for a recommendation. How can abusing me for driving a BMW (which I don't) help?

There is also the issue that a brand specific FSH, prefferably with the selling dealer will add to residual value whereas an indy FSH adds no more than no service history at all.

• Advertisement

In this particular case, though, a main dealer is unarguably the best option.

OP has to go to a BMW dealer for the free service. No more off topic or ranting on this thread. I hope everyone finally gets this :)

Advertisement