Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best BMW Service dealer in Dublin

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Unkel - so you reckon i'll be OK with M&G Milltown? They seem to be the only Dublin dealer who haven't thrown up a horror story so far.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kdevitt wrote: »
    Murphy & Gunn's have a good rep.
    I have used M&Gs also but can't comment on their work because they didn't do what I feckin asked them to do!
    unkel wrote: »
    +1

Back on topic. I've had a good service experience with Murphy&Gunn in Milltown. The head mechanic took the time to have a chat with me. They were professional, knowledgeable and courteous - as you'd expect from a premium brand main dealer
    I know many of the guys in there including the service manager but it didn't stop them giving me a very bad experience (resulted in an NCT fail!)
    Anan1 wrote: »
    Unkel - so you reckon i'll be OK with M&G Milltown? They seem to be the only Dublin dealer who haven't thrown up a horror story so far.
    well there you go now!
    I think if you can check the work after its done then you should be fine. I know that you shouldn't need to though!

It shouldn't be this hard, should it?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,438 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I only shared my wee positive experience with M&G with you all here. If I were in your position, I'd probably go there with your pre-paid service voucher.

I only shared my wee positive experience with M&G with you all here. If I were in your position, I'd probably go there with your pre-paid service voucher.
    I think i'll do that. I mean it's only a first service, how badly wrong can they get it? And even if they do, sure it's only a car.:)

• Advertisement

It shouldn't be this hard, should it?

No it shouldn't. That comment made me laugh out very loud for the first time in the last few days. Thanks Anan :D

Sometimes you have to step back unkel, or else you'd go crazy.;)

Sometimes you have to step back unkel, or else you'd go crazy.;)

Is that a reflection on your life or advice guided to me? :D

Is that a reflection on your life or advice guided to me? :D
    Long term it's a reflection on my life. Within this thread, however...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Yeah just make sure you get your VAT receipt. AFAIK, Murphy & Gunn hold the record for the highest settlement with the Revenue Commissioners for a tax defaulter having made a settlement with Revenue for 5.2 million Euro in 2004. Yeah, though, if they are BMW approved, they must know what they are doing...

• Advertisement

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Yeah just make sure you get your VAT receipt. AFAIK, Murphy & Gunn hold the record for the highest settlement with the Revenue Commissioners for a tax defaulter having made a settlement with Revenue for 5.2 million Euro in 2004. Yeah, though, if they are BMW approved, they must know what they are doing...
    How much VAT do you reckon would be due on €0, Darragh?

How much VAT do you reckon would be due on €0, Darragh?

Did you not say that service package cost you 1,000 Euro, or did I imagine that I saw you posting that previously on this thread??? You haven't accepted this yet, but BMW will get another 1000 Euro out of you for parts that need to be replaced but are not covered under your service agreement. It is regrettable that you will not except this until BMW give you the bill for it in the future... I've had this same conversation with other people approximately 15 times and they all say the same thing in the end, "I thought when I bought that, that everything was covered". I know one of my customers who drives an X5 had the same service agreement you have and couldn't get her car back from BMW until she settled an additional bill of 2,000 Euro after a service, this was after the deductions she was entitled to for what she had already paid for with her inclusive service.

Did you not say that service package cost you 1,000 Euro, or did I imagine that I saw you posting that previously on this thread??? You haven't accepted this yet, but BMW will get another 1000 Euro out of you for parts that need to be replaced but are not covered under your service agreement. It is regrettable that you will not except this until BMW give you the bill for it in the future... I've had this same conversation with other people approximately 15 times and they all say the same thing in the end, "I thought when I bought that, that everything was covered". I know one of my customers who drives an X5 had the same service agreement you have and couldn't get her car back from BMW until she settled an additional bill of 2,000 Euro after a service, this was after the deductions she was entitled to for what she had already paid for with her inclusive service.
    There are two service packs, one is pretty basic, the one I have includes a lot more. In any case, none of this is an issue at the moment as the car is still under warranty. The bill will therefore unquestionably be zero.

http://www.bmw.ie/ie/en/owners/service/serviceinclusive3.html
    BMW Service Inclusive.

This package comprises:
    - Oil and oil filter change (not including top-ups)
    - Service/replacement of air filters, microfilters, fuel filters, spark plugs, brake fluid
    - Brake pad/discs front and rear
    - Clutch (wear and tear)
    - Windscreen wiper blades as part of routine maintenance
    - Vehicle check and standard services as set out in BMW Service Booklet

The package has a contract term of five years and distance milestone of 100.000 km.

Information on conditions.

The following in particular are not covered under the scope of BMW Service Inclusive: maintenance beyond the given time/kilometre windows; fuel; impurities in the fuel system; damage to paintwork, body, blinds or panels; damage to glass (panes, lamps); the elimination of wind noise, squeaking or knocking sounds; tyres; wheel damage and wheel imbalances; damage caused by the driver (such as engine damage due to insufficient oil, participation in motorsport events). All service work conducted under the BMW Service Inclusive agreement must be carried out by a participating BMW dealer, a BMW Service-authorised workshop or a BMW subsidiary. Services provided by BMW Mobile Service and service claims covered under liability for material defects remain unaffected.

Standard service items are all covered. Non service items that fail are understandably not covered!

There are two service packs, one is pretty basic, the one I have includes a lot more. In any case, none of this is an issue at the moment as the car is still under warranty. The bill will therefore unquestionably be zero.

Yeah, you might post it up here when you get it...

I hadn't seen your post before I posted mine.
    What extra is in yours? Is yours the Service Inclusive and SIA/CBS as there isn't anything extra really mentioned in it apart from the fact that its all based on the system estimating when a service is due.

kbannon wrote: »
    http://www.bmw.ie/ie/en/owners/service/serviceinclusive3.html

Standard service items are all covered. Non service items that fail are understandably not covered!

Thanks for giving us some overdue clarity. You can see the qualification attached to the clutch replacement. No clutch should require replacement for "wear & tear" within the service interval as prescribed, what this means is if you have to have a clutch replaced and it is due to oil contamination from an oil leak from the engine or transmission, or you have damaged the clutch due to driving erratically, you will be getting a bill for over 1,000 Euro and you won't know whether you will be paying for this until BMW tell you why it is now necessary to replace the clutch.

I know I brought the clutch up, but the car is actually automatic. And even if it weren't, wouldn't oil leaks be covered under warranty?

I know I brought the clutch up, but the car is actually automatic. And even if it weren't, wouldn't oil leaks be covered under warranty?

Sorry, oversight on my part on the transmission. Oil seal leaks wouldn't normally occur until the car was well out of warranty, but you would still have your 100,000KM service agreement. An engine oil seal failure where it occured outside of warranty would not be covered by your service agreement, I don't think it would anyway, but the info provided by kbannon doesn't say either way...

Sorry, oversight on my part on the transmission. Oil seal leaks wouldn't normally occur until the car was well out of warranty, but you would still have your 100,000KM service agreement. An engine oil seal failure where it occured outside of warranty would not be covered by your service agreement, I don't think it would anyway, but the info provided by kbannon doesn't say either way...
    But the car is still under warranty now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Darragh. In all honesty, not doubting your mechanical prowess, but I wouldn't bring my car anywhere near someone who whinges like you for fear the whinging would distract you from doing the job to the best of your ability.

I expect a mechanic to do a job not tell me why someone else shouldn't..

Edit: I know that's harsh but;
    That's assuming you have this rant at people face to face, otherwise I wouldn't have an issue with using an indy. My car is 7 years old. I was delighted it had a service booklet never mind a stamped one!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You have obviously been cossitted away in a main dealership for too long. The day is long long gone when independent garages are at any disadvantage when it comes to diagnostic capabilities, ECU upgrades, common fixes, recalls, etc.

This is obviously going nowhere as you seem to have it all figured out. But I think you are wide of the mark. Lets take a recall - yes you may be able to "get your hands on" the information - but who pays for it? You - I doubt it. The customer - probably and then claims it back from his/her local BMW dealer with a lot more hassle than just going to an authorised BMW dealer.

Darragh29, I don't doubt your abilities to repair any job, but you need to bear in mind that BMW (and other manufacturers) appoint dealers for a reason. And the main reason is to ensure that they are up to BMW spec - if not then the franchise is withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Darragh, I think you are overstating the position a bit without properly looking into it. Look at what you said about BMW part prices. The example you used was wishbones. BMW do not make those wishbones. The company that does make them sells them under there own brand name. They are exactly the same as the dealer supplied ones but you can buy them from any motor factor for a huge percentage less than the dealer price. If you take the trouble to research this you will find the same hold true for the majority of parts you would need for BMWs as well as a lot of other makes.

You have also said that there is nothing that you can not repair on any vehicle. That is not possible. Purely from a diagnostic point of view there are many cases where any independent will be stuck. It is just not financially viable to equip yourself with every dealer tool and pay for access to security codes and data for all makes. There will always be cases where you will not be able to flash update or program a module to finish a repair.
    What equipment do you use for BMW?

Earlier in this thread it was obvious that you did not know what inclusive servicing was nor were you familiar with BMW service schedules yet you claimed to have serviced late model BMW to dealer standards.

I agree with the point you make about block exemption but that is why the service inclusive was introduced. It was a nice piece of marketing from BMWs point of view and does represent good value for the customer. If a customer has a full history they can also benefit from extended warranty also. If the customer has any issue outside of warranty they will have a much better case for good will if the car has a dealer history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I would have thought that a minimum condition to hold a franchise for a main dealer would have been to have competent people on their staff?
    Yes I would accept that apprentices would do the banal jobs while they learn their trade (why I do my own servicing:D), even some established independents would have apprentices I'd imagine.

I noticed that a lot of the experienced people in the service area of Kevin O'Leary BMW Cork have moved on since the announcement they'd no longer be an agent for BMW I'd imagine that the same thing is going to happen at Maxwell Motors. Even if they are still there I'd say morale would not be great resulting in a greater potential for poor service. So factor that into your choice of dealer to use.

Just on the point of customers taking issue with pricing. If a customer has booked a car in for some work a quote for the work should be given first, that should avoid issues later. If in the middle of a job something else was spotted common sense would tell you that the mechanic would ring the customer to inform them of the issue, with a quote BEFORE tackling the work. That would prevent customers having to use profanities.

Finally I think gross generalisations about people simply based on the car they drive is ridiculous.

Advertisement