Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd world unlimited upload and download August 2008 rant

Options
  • 01-08-2008 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Im just wondering if there are any thoughts about who is offering REAL unlimited upload and download now in August 2008?

With a basic 2 meg download its about 200k per second which is 12 meg per minute
    720 meg per hour
    17.28 gig per 24 hour period
    So if your download limit is 20 gig per month you can be over this in less that 2 days!!!

Is there any handle on what it would cost a broadband provider per 20 gig of traffic?
    I have a feeling that we are being ripped off and the excess charges we are billed by an Irish isp when we exceed the monthyl limit are far, far above what it costs them.

I see that now Imagine have swallowed Irish Broadband that they no longer offer unlimited download. Another step backwards for broadband in Ireland.

Does anyone know who is offering the cheapest unlimited download? I know that UPC have shaken things up a bit but they are limited to the urban centres.

The download/upload limits are a joke in this country and internet companies are calling 1 meg or 2 meg broadband "SUPERFAST"

It might have been superfast 5 years ago but they shouldnt be allowed use that terminology in their adverts in 2008

And then there is eircom which many years ago invented an new classification of broadband which I dont think existed in any other country in the world Ireland, the "not always on" type of broadband!!

Wow eircom, do you mean that I can save loads of money by opting for your special version of broadband which isnt always on?

Holy fruit salad Batman! Thats amazing!!!

eircom and the other isps that now imitate this "not always on broadband" should be banned from offering any kind of broadband that isnt always on, it would seem that this is yet another tactic on their part to rip off the average Irish consumer who isnt that familiar which how broadband should work.

I think the government should buy back eircom or at least the network and then upgrade the network and take the country out of the dark ages and into the "INFORMATION AGE" they have been aspiring to for years

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Well im on permanet and i get unlimited downloads they only offer speeds up to 4mb but iv seen there ariels on secondary schools and huge companies as kerry broadband is quiet limited!(well it was)So it just shows that a small ish broadband company can give unlimited download cap and the bigger ones cant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

UTV Internet are offering an unlimited download allowence for the first 3 months after sign-up, and thereafter charge an extra €5.99 per month. They are the only Eircom re-sellers offering it.

You should also note that UTV and BT Ireland are the cheapest Eircom re-seller ISP's in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

One word, SMART no download or upload limits and when they sell you a 4Mbit line they sync you at 4.6 to account for protocol overhead. Pity the public at large doesn't realise the difference.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

One word, SMART no download or upload limits and when they sell you a 4Mbit line they sync you at 4.6 to account for protocol overhead. Pity the public at large doesn't realise the difference.

MC
    Pity the public at large cannot obtain Smart Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Indeed, but that is a Government fault for selling off the phone network to O'Reilly et al and not making them invest instead of just asset strip like they did.

Anyway I'm alright Jack sems to be the way Fianna Failure works

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

I have 10gig cap. In a great developed country this is just sh:te

Advertisement