Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big problem, please help!

Options
  • 01-08-2008 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I mentioned this in another thread about my motherboard, but I'm not 100% sure that's the problem.

While browsing the web earlier, I heard a fan inside my computer speed up and then slow down again. It caught my attention, but I thought little of it as everything seemed ok. It happened again, and then a third time, at which point the computer turned itself off. I haven't been able to switch it back on since (it only pops on for about half a second). There's no dust, and no reason why it would overheat. Could this be a PSU problem?

Any thoughts?

Inter Core 2 Quad
    Corsair PC6400 Ram 4GB
    nVidia 680i mobo
    nVidia 8800GT 512MB video
    Super Flower 600w PSU (which tested ok with my little testing device)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭wordcount

IN the grand scheme of things that is not a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

All leads connected properly, sure motherboard isn't coming in contact with the case and shorting or something in-between them? Tried unplugging all but the cpu fan? Any beeps on powering up (before it turns off again)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Yep, tried unplugging everything except the CPU fan, but no luck. I don't think anything is shorting the board - there was never any problem before with this sort of thing.

I've taken the whole thing apart and reconnected everything... same result. You think the motherboard is fried? I was having doubts about the quality of my PSU, but like I said before, it tested ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I have a very similar problem to yours. My PSU died, so got a new one, hooked it up last night and the PC is turning on but no post. I've cleared CMOS, unplugged all peripherals except CPU and fan.... no joy.

I've gone and ordered a new motherboard from overclockers. Let's hope that that is the problem.

How are you getting on with yours ?

Well, after replacing the PSU (I always had doubts about it), it powered up ok but wouldn't boot - nothing on the screen, no beep codes (although, the mobo has no buzzer and the case has no speaker).

So I was praying to Heath Ledger that the motherboard wasn't shot. I fiddled around some more and it turned out the the plastic things that fasten the RAM in place were a bit loose, and the RAM was hanging out a bit. I pushed it in with force and so far so good!

• Advertisement

Well, after replacing the PSU (I always had doubts about it), it powered up ok but wouldn't boot - nothing on the screen, no beep codes (although, the mobo has no buzzer and the case has no speaker).

So I was praying to Heath Ledger that the motherboard wasn't shot. I fiddled around so more and it turned out the the plastic things that fasten the RAM in place were a bit loose, and the RAM was hanging out a bit. I pushed it in with force and so far so good!

Good stuff. My new motherboard, RAM and CPU are being delivered this morning. I am setting aside this evening to get it all hooked up and working. I'll keep you posted whether I'm successful or not... fingers crossed.

TC

Yeah, please do keep us up to date on that. Always good for our collective knowledgebase to hear everybody's experience.

Yeah, please do keep us up to date on that. Always good for our collective knowledgebase to hear everybody's experience.

It'll be this evening. My missus was out and about yesterday and wasn't there when they attempted delivery. She's going to pick up the package from the depo today so will have some fun lego building activities in store for myself tonight.

TC

Well I'm back up and running at last. I think though I'll need to do a fresh install of Windows :) It took my a while to replace the motherboard and install the CPU and hook up the various cables but I wanted to take it slow and didn't want to make any mistakes. Thankfully I didn't and it powered up on the 1st go :p

My PC is pretty beasty now and should be able to handle most games. I have a Q6600 running at 3.31Ghz thanks to a beast of a CPU cooler I got. ATI 4850 card, and 4 gig o'ram.

Now to install DirectX 10 and fire up Bioshock in all it's glory. I suppose I'll have to go out and get Crisis too. Is it worth it ?

TC

TinCool wrote: »
    Well I'm back up and running at last. I think though I'll need to do a fresh install of Windows :) It took my a while to replace the motherboard and install the CPU and hook up the various cables but I wanted to take it slow and didn't want to make any mistakes. Thankfully I didn't and it powered up on the 1st go :p

My PC is pretty beasty now and should be able to handle most games. I have a Q6600 running at 3.31Ghz thanks to a beast of a CPU cooler I got. ATI 4850 card, and 4 gig o'ram.

Now to install DirectX 10 and fire up Bioshock in all it's glory. I suppose I'll have to go out and get Crisis too. Is it worth it ?

TC

Yeah that's the thing - a PSU can easily drag your motherboard to hell with it when it dies. Sounds like you have a nice spec.

I've never actually played Crysis, partly because I'm afraid it would make me want to upgrade again! I must get the demo...but that's like 1.5GB I think. Eek. I have a Core 2 Quad (same one as you I think), 4GB ram, nvidia 8800GT - I can run all Valve games pretty much perfectly, except for a tiny bit of slowdown in TF2 when the action gets really hectic. My next upgrade will probably be a second 8800GT, but I'm in no rush at the mo.

Glad everything's up and running again. Thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement