Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Trains in use on the Waterford - Dublin Track

• 01-08-2008 10:22pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Just in case people were not aware, the new Trains have begun being used on the Waterford - Dublin (and Dublin - Waterford) track. At the moment, its only coming from Dublin very early in the morning and going back up at lunchtime. As for specific times, im not so sure - sorry. I was told this morning and spotted it on my way up to Dublin on the 10.45am Train.

Does anyone know, did Irish Rail announce that there will also be a train to Dublin every hour as part of the package? Apparently this cant be done unless new track is put down so im unsure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

New trains are fine but until the journey takes less than it would in a car it won't impress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Are there any express trains to Dublin? i.e. No stops between Waterford to Dublin?

I agree that the train isnt an alternative to the car until it takes less time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Trotter wrote: »
    Are there any express trains to Dublin? i.e. No stops between Waterford to Dublin?

Nope. They wouldn't make as much money anyway id say as its quiet enough from Waterford!
    I agree that the train isnt an alternative to the car until it takes less time.

I find it easier to get the train because going anywhere in Dublin is a nightmare (well, in the city centre area).

The journey time is pathetic and delays because of oncoming train gets on my nerves also.

You would think in this modern world that Irish Rail would move on a bit and sort out the mess of a railway line we have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

What's the max speed the train to Dublin goes? Anyone know.
    Whenever I've got it (or any train in Ireland) it feels like it's holding back.
    Is this to do with the lines not being good enough or safe enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I don't know the max speed, but I've a recollection of being told there's a terribly slow speed limit from Thomastown to Waterford because of the farms.

The other problem is the 15-20 min turnover time in Kilkenny - The track should go straight on through, and back on to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Fajitas! wrote: »
    The other problem is the 15-20 min turnover time in Kilkenny - The track should go straight on through, and back on to Dublin.

The trains could, via the 'Lavistown Curve' which bypasses Kilkenny. You can see it disappear off to the right as you approach KK from Waterford then reappear a couple of mins on the Dublin side.

But then they couldn't pick up any passengers in KK.

The problem is the geometry of KK station - a hangover from when the line used to continue from KK via Ballyragget, Abbeyleix to Portalington.

Some trains, pulled by a 201 class loco, have a faster turnaround as they feature a DVT* at the back which can remote control the loco, so the driver walks up to that end and the loco pushes the train the rest of the way. The older 071 class locos don't support this, so they have to 'run around'.

The newer 22000 class trains are multiple units which have no separate locomotive, so can be driven both ways.

* Driving Vehicle Trailer

/anorak OFF

A.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Forgive me, but could you explain that in a bit simpler of terms? Sorry :o

Thanks tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

JPA wrote: »
    New trains are fine but until the journey takes less than it would in a car it won't impress.

here here man!!

alinton wrote: »

/anorak OFF

hehe you kinda lost the run of yerself there andy :);)

Mack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

alinton wrote: »
    so the driver walks up to that end and the loco pushes the train the rest of the way.

How can the driver see where he's going if the engine is pushing the carriages!?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Video cameras? Or a long neck :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The driver is at the front. It's just the engine at the back, being remotely controlled by the driver by what I assume to be a duplicate set of controls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

I don't know the max speed, but I've a recollection of being told there's a terribly slow speed limit from Thomastown to Waterford because of the farms
    Generally the speed limits arent too bad.With a few exceptions
    Waterford-Kilkenny 70MPH
    Kilkenny-Dublin/Cork junction- 80MPH
    Across the Curragh-70MPH
    Short stretch of 90MPH
    Then slows right down along the route of the 4track project approaching Heuston

More so its the single tracking, Kilkenny stopover, waiting to enter the Dublin-Cork line south of Kildare and the 4 track project on the last 10 miles into Dublin that are the main culprits when it comes to the leisurely journey times.

However I do remember seeing a piece in the Munster a while baCk where a IE spokesperson was saying that when all the new trains are in service , one of the morning departures from Waterford will avoid Kilkenny, which should knock 20min off the journey hopefully!

Also the current timetables apparently contain an awful lot of padding to keep their punctuality figures in check.

Are there any plans to add extra tracks? Iv always wondered why there is a lot of tracks around the station that dont seem in use, and some new track was being laid in another direction along the way.

I assume the new trains will cut down on the Kilkenny Stopover time? The wait in Athy is a bit of a pain. Normally is slow moving into Heuston, but we had to wait a good 10mins on entry for another train to leave Heuston going to Limerick. We were 20mins late arriving in Dublin.

At least it usually leaves early from Waterford!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Ya think they would have enough money to put down an express track what with the amount they charge for tickets and food :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Roen wrote: »
    Video cameras? Or a long neck :pac:

Ha! No, it works like this.

From Heuston to Kilkenny the engine ('loco') is front, pulling the train. But the last carriage is a DVT, which looks like a standard carriage except it has a driver's cab at one end, which houses a set of controls that can operate the engine at the other end of the train.

So, when it stops in KK, the driver flicks a switch to allow remote control, walks to the 'back' of the train, which then becomes the front, and he drives it from the DVT into Waterford, with the loco at the back pushing the train. Once here he can return to the engine and drive it forward back to KK etc.

OK?

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

The following services are currently rostered for the new trains:
    Monday-Saturday
    0930 Dublin-Waterford
    1315 Waterford-Dublin
    Sundays
    1430 Dublin-Waterford
    1800 Waterford-Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Any word of when more new trains will come into use for us?

I get the train down to Waterford from college every Friday and it annoys the hell out of me when I see that the Waterford line is the ONLY one at that time that doesn't have a new train departing. The 18:25 train home is packed to capacity on this old, run-down train, while the 18:35 to Thurles has one of the new trains which is barely half-full.

I can never tell - Sometimes the 16:20 train is the new one, it's not today (I'm on it). Luckily enough, the 18:00 on a Sunday is serviced by a new train, but it's still completly packed by the time it gets past Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

Sully wrote: »
    Forgive me, but could you explain that in a bit simpler of terms? Sorry :o

Thanks tho.

If you were wondering which trains he was refering to the 201 class are the newest of the trains in the old orange livery and sometimes in "enterprize" livery,while the 072 class are the old dirty trains you see in the yard pulling and shunting and can be seen pulling carraiges aswel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Don't suppose they have Wifi? :)

• Advertisement

AdMMM wrote: »
    Don't suppose they have Wifi? :)

Are you kidding? Such a logical, sensible, well-received and viable addition to rail services in this country is surely too much for such a wonderful business like Iarnrod Eireann to comprehend :rolleyes:

Indeed... However, pop over to the States or Canada, and they just about managed to pull it off.

Luckily for me, 3G have coverage from Waterford to just outside Thomastown at either side of the station, and then all the way up to the backarse of Kildare, where you'll run out of coverage for 3 or 4 minutes.

That, 8 times a month, is worth the 3G :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

From http://www.irishrail.ie/home/faq.asp?faq_id=11#11
    =========================================
    Frequently Asked Questions
    Q. Is there Wi-Fi technology onboard IÉ trains so I can access the internet?
    A.

Iarnród Éireann (IÉ) feels that it wouldn’t be in the public or the company’s best interest to install the current wireless technologies on its fleet for customer use due to the limited lifespan of said technologies. Anything we install now is likely to be completely redundant within five years.

We feel customers would be better supported by obtaining their own wireless solutions, such as those provided by the mobile providers (3G and GPRS/EDGE ).

IÉ is hoping that near-future new technologies such as WiMax and other long range wireless tech will make the idea of onboard solutions redundant. We will continue to monitor the speed of advance of such technologies and if we deem that change is not occurring quickly enough we may reconsider the situation.

What a load of BS tbh... but I think that's a discussion for the Transport forum, rather than Waterford...

*prepares rant*

An interesting discussion to! Its an odd statement to make all things considered! Anyway.. Anyone know when the trains will be used more?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How long is 802.11b out on the mart....more then 10 years? Yet it'll work with current wifi cards, so saying 5 years is bull****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

well first off, if the trains actually work and not constantly break down then i would be midly impressed (u know that feeling when ur eating a twix)

Anyway, it was feb of this year when i was getting the train from dublin to waterford and we were standing at the platform when the train was dealyed by 50 minutes then we boarded the train after a loooooong wait and pulled out of the station.

About 10 mins into the trip the train suddenly stops saying theirs gonna be another delay because a train in front had broken down (again). So we waited another 30mins.
    I actually felt sorry for the staff brining around the coffees and sandwichs due to everyones anger.

Wost train trip ever!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

lets not forget the 30e charge for Waterford-Dublin, oh joy!

Cabaal wrote: »
    lets not forget the 30e charge for Waterford-Dublin, oh joy!

*hugs Student Travelcard*

The one thing Irish Rail haven't managed to muck up yet (so far)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

Alinton seems to be the man-in-the-know on this subject.
    Is it feasible for Iarnroid Eireann to run a smaller train from Kilkenny to Thomastown. The main train arrives from Waterford, joins up with this and continues to Dublin. If this was possible, it would not add much to the Kilkenny journey and would shorten the Waterford journey time by over 20 minutes.

I think Iarnroid Eireann don't want people getting onto their new trains and dirtying them. With the exception of the Sunday evening train which would be used by people travelling to Dublin for the week, the train times appear to be the quietest travelling times. Why don't they use the new trains on the 7.30 W to D trip when the train is often full, before it reaches Dublin.

Advertisement