Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Trains in use on the Waterford - Dublin Track

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Maybe they haven't got the full delivery of carriages meaning the new trains don't yet have as much capacity?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Jor wrote: »
    Alinton seems to be the man-in-the-know on this subject.
    Is it feasible for Iarnroid Eireann to run a smaller train from Kilkenny to Thomastown. The main train arrives from Waterford, joins up with this and continues to Dublin. If this was possible, it would not add much to the Kilkenny journey and would shorten the Waterford journey time by over 20 minutes.

I fail to see the benefits, it would add wait time as well as extra journey time to people traveling to Kilkenny, hardly a massive time saver and not worth doing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Speaking of double tracking, Carlow to Cherryville Junction (where the Waterford line joins the main Dublin/Cork one) was once double tracked. If you look at the bridges past Carlow & Athy stations you will see the width of the bridges were built to accomodate 2 trains and you can still see ballast on the other side of the track. I think Cherryville to Carlow was single tracked in the 1920s and the track used for the Naas - Tullow Branch.

Also if you look closely, Ballyhale, Mullinavat and Mooncoin used to have stations. You can see the halt at the back of Irish's pub in Mooncoin. Mullinavat is closed while Ballyhale is now used as a loop instead of Thomastown.

It might be feasable for reopening Mullinavat or Ballyhale to provide a Kilkenny-Waterford commuter service in the morning and evenings.

I have travelled on the Limerick Junction - Waterford-Rosslare line many times and there is definitley a case for commuter rail. Also what about reopening part of the old Dungarvan line as far as Kilmac with Park & Ride at Kilmeadan while were at it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

As far as I knew, the 'Mooncoin' station was actually called Grange, and is still there, almost complete, but in use as a private dwelling. The signal box is a greenhouse I think! Its a mile or so outside Mooncoin towards Carrick.

That's on the Waterford-Limerick line too, not Waterford-Dublin.

I wasn't aware of the other two mentioned, I'll have to have a look. As for Mooncoin - where is Irish's pub?

A.

Partizan wrote: »
    what about reopening part of the old Dungarvan line as far as Kilmac with Park & Ride at Kilmeadan while were at it. :)

Sadly, no chance of that now, with the Waterford-Suir Valley narrow gauge line taking up that route as far as Kilmeaden, and the route broken before Kilmac by the N25.

There was talk of the W&SV running all the way into the city, down the Quays, instead of using the Red Iron Bridge which has a section removed and is probably beyond making safe for passenger traffic now anyway.

But the alignment at the city end has been covered by a new housing development now, so that plan was probably pie in the sky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

alinton; Im curious, do you work in Irish Rail or just have a strong interest in Railway Development?

It would seem that Irish Rail are less interested in rail in Ireland, as its not the best of services.

Hi, no I don't work in railways, I'm just a bit of a sad anorak I'm afraid! Not a train spotter you understand, but I do have an interest in those lovely old big diesel locomotives!

I agree with you about CIE, they talk a good talk but don't seem to be interested in non-intercity services outside Dublin.

Sadly they also show no interest in developing freight transport by rail, which is a pity as rail is ideally suited to moving large tonnages and of course would take lots of large trucks off our main roads.

A.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

alinton wrote: »
    Hi, no I don't work in railways, I'm just a bit of a sad anorak I'm afraid! Not a train spotter you understand, but I do have an interest in those lovely old big diesel locomotives!

Bit the same myself. Old stuff like that, including bridges like Red Iron interest me. Was out their last year, took a few pictures of the train carriage, track and bridge out that general direction. Interesting stuff!

The museum inside in the City station is very interesting, but not as good as it used to be. New chap running the place trying to phase it out from what I am told.
    I agree with you about CIE, they talk a good talk but don't seem to be interested in non-intercity services outside Dublin.

Sadly they also show no interest in developing freight transport by rail, which is a pity as rail is ideally suited to moving large tonnages and of course would take lots of large trucks off our main roads.

A.

Shame really. The Dublin-Waterford track could be improved, and the service seems to run into regular problems which is a shame for a popular route.

Yep its a pity a lot of the old lines were closed; If they knew then what they know now some would still be operating.

Dublin-Waterford was improved a couple of years ago, it was completely relaid and re-signalled. No more major investment there for a while I think, apart from the new rolling stock which will slowly replaced the loco-hauled services, and of course the new barriers at the New Rath crossing.

If you're interested in old infrastructure, a nice bit of exploring is the tunnel and bridge at Mt Elliot in New Ross. 1 mile tunnel, curved, dug about 1850! And that old swing-bridge over the river there is/was a marvellous feat of engineering. I have photos of it, including the opening mechanism, which is a gearbox that allowed one man to open the entire span with a 2-foot crank handle!

Then there's the tunnel north of Dungarvan, nr Durrow, and the adjacent high bridge. Walk over that and look down on the treetops!

A.

Yep its a pity a lot of the old lines were closed; If they knew then what they know now some would still be operating.

Dublin-Waterford was improved a couple of years ago, it was completely relaid and re-signalled. No more major investment there for a while I think, apart from the new rolling stock which will slowly replaced the loco-hauled services, and of course the new barriers at the New Rath crossing.

You would think that the bulk of the track could allow two trains (up and down) to avoid stopping and waiting for one to pass each time. Shame you have to turn around at Kilkenny, seems an awful waste of time.
    If you're interested in old infrastructure, a nice bit of exploring is the tunnel and bridge at Mt Elliot in New Ross. 1 mile tunnel, curved, dug about 1850! And that old swing-bridge over the river there is/was a marvellous feat of engineering. I have photos of it, including the opening mechanism, which is a gearbox that allowed one man to open the entire span with a 2-foot crank handle!

Photos online by any chance? Might find these interesting, of Red Iron bridge and the general area. Never walked the length of the track where the old carriage is, or by the red iron, probably infested. I think the section in the middle was removed to stop people walking it fully. Would love to see it restored, never going to happen though.
    Then there's the tunnel north of Dungarvan, nr Durrow, and the adjacent high bridge. Walk over that and look down on the treetops!

A.

Cheers, will try all these out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

What about the train station itself? Have they got planning permission or whats the story?

deise59 wrote: »
    What about the train station itself? Have they got planning permission or whats the story?

Yup, but no word on when the development will proceed yet.

Sully said: Never walked the length of the track where the old carriage is

Where is this?

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It's past the brewery on the quays, follow that road down, and over a bridge and you'll see an old train carriage on the left hand side, when I first started popping down there, it was completly open, and all the tracks were down, but over the last while it started to get boarded up and then the rail tracks were taken up, and now the train is completly boarded up (Was down there yesterday).

You can follow the road from the train carriage down to the old bridge over the road that lead the train on to the actual Red Iron...

You can walk out a bit onto the Red Iron, but good God is it dodgy, I can never get further than a few steps out, before realising that I don't want to lose my camera gear this way :pac:

They've cleaned it up of late though, I think - Not sure if you can still walk out there.

Pic of it here

Interesting. Not exactly sure where you mean - past the left turn up to the new housing estate?

Where is the 'old train' in your photos?

Looks like an old 'C' class to me. Carrick on Suir?

A.#

Nope, don't turn left at all, keep on going straight, and you'll find a small rail bridge just past a junction, head over that, and there's a parking spot just past the sign on the left. That's where the old train carriage is.

It's on the old Cork line, so I reckon it was on that line!

Not as far as the rail overbridge next to the ISPCA?

That line went from Waterford to Dungarvan, then onto Mallow via Cappoquinn, Lismore etc.

But those shots you took of 'The Old Train' - thats not it, is it?

Yep, that's it! The train itself is before the ISPCA.

Wow that's not a carriage, its a locomotive. C Class I think. I wonder what the hell its doing marooned there?

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Partizan wrote: »
    Speaking of double tracking, Carlow to Cherryville Junction (where the Waterford line joins the main Dublin/Cork one) was once double tracked. If you look at the bridges past Carlow & Athy stations you will see the width of the bridges were built to accomodate 2 trains and you can still see ballast on the other side of the track.

Indeed it could easily be upgraded. However I don't see any political will (or indeed funding) to double the track. Despite Mary White and the Green partys lip service on public transport in the south east.

• Advertisement

Wow that's not a carriage, its a locomotive. C Class I think. I wonder what the hell its doing marooned there?

A.

There a long time now, and has been subject to a lot of vandalism (fire to). From the looks of it, they bordered it up (tho I think thats been done before) to prevent even more abuse. Its very interesting. I assume that track links up to Red Iron Bridge? Where did it come from Quay end does anybody know?

Well if its where I think it is, its the branch that originally went to Waterford South station - where the iron foundry is/was now.

The track was taken up a few years ago, with plans to relay it with narrow gauge for the W&SV. That narrow gauge line by the way is unique in that the track panels are re-gauged standard gauge panels; in that they took a standard 5'3" track panel, sawed a bit off the sleepers and refitted one rail.

The Red Iron Bridge had a section (not the swing section) removed to allow ships to pass through without the hassle of maintaining the mechanism and having to man it.

Its interesting to note that Waterford once had four railway stations. Now there is no working railway in County Waterford - excepting the W&SV which is really only a curiosity at present, serving no useful purpose.

A.

Forgive my ignorance, but whats W&SV? Are the plans "in motion" as such or is it an idea thats never going to happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Sully wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, but whats W&SV? Are the plans "in motion" as such or is it an idea thats never going to happen?

Waterford & Suir Valley Railway

http://www.wsvrailway.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

The Council own all land adjoining the river (despite some people attempting to steal it). So even though there's new houses out in Bilberry where the line used go en route to the Foundry, the W&SV one could still pass on the river side of this as far as Rice Bridge

True, but that would require a completely new alignment, far more difficult and costly than using an existing trackbed.

A.

Advertisement