Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from After Hours

Options
  • 01-08-2008 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

I feel it was totally inappropriate.

My post, which was not inflammatory or negative, merely stating public facts, was deleted. It related to drug abuse which led to death.

I was banned.

Sorry, but I seriously don't think this is fair - Katy French dies and is lambasted across boards, boards.ie features in the tabloids over the levels of abuse, which was generally permitted, and I post hoping to open peoples eyes to drug abuse and find myself banned??

Here was my reasoning for posting in the thread 'Logic1', as posted in AH.

Well done lads for displaying for all the level of your immaturity.

We should all learn from the death of an individual, not try and sweep it under the carpet.

As individuals and collectively as people we learn from these things.

Stories like this firmly remind me never to try drugs of any kind.

If you feel that's negative and I'm a **** for hoping others react to the news in the same way......great.

Obviously from what you're saying I have some sort of warped personal agenda - safety of human beings is it, sorry if that makes me a ****.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well I'm sorry that it makes you a **** too, but there it is.
    that was bad form and you know it. logic1 was a friend of many people on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

You were banned for that ????

This site has really gone to the dogs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

<snip> oops I dont understand the situation at all. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

<snip> oops I dont understand the situation at all. Sorry.

Logic1 died last year, and was a well known and popular member of boards. It has emerged recently, public information, that he died of drug abuse. I posted this info, with a link to the independant website, that detailed the case.

I was hoping to remind people that drugs, basically, are bad.

I was banned and called a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Seeing as you posted a feedback thread about 5 seconds after being banned I'm guessing you didn't try and resolve this via PM first....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

You posted purely to stir sh1te. You should know damn well that the death of a friend of several people on this site would be a touchy subject and not one to mix with your narrow views. Niall was 29 years old when he died. He (and the rest of us) don't need you as our moral sentinel. What he did was his choice, and you're lucky he's not around to give you the roasting he no doubt would have for your condescending attitude.

There's no way in hell you're going to win this one mate.

well I'm sorry that it makes you a **** too, but there it is.
    that was bad form and you know it. logic1 was a friend of many people on this site.

Katy French had many friends too. Didn't stop thousands of insults being permitted. I merely posted up facts - I did not comment on the individual, only to state that they were a good person.

Talk about biased, are you trying to say that people should at least learn from this senseless death?

If you're saying it should be swept under the carpet, you're immature beyond belief. People learn from others mistakes - many important charities, foundations, etc are set up by those who have lost loved ones/friends to drugs and other substance abuse - they want others to benefit from those who fell at such hurdles.

I'm merely trying to make people aware of the reality of drugs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

oh, he pm'd me. I'm just having none of it. I knew logic1, not very well but I spent a few weeks with him on a holiday. if someone wants to over rule me, that's fine but I'm sure as hell not unbanning him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Links (As the OP forgot):
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055123743&page=4 from post #137 onward.

I really have mixed feelings on this:
    - I can see where TerrorFirmer's coming from and what he was aiming for and I do think we're being a bit hypocritical.
    -v-
    - This was highly likely to strike a raw nerve with too many boardsies.

Perhaps he should have been told to back off away from the topic, I don't see a reason to ban TerrorFirmer unless he insisted on upsetting the crowd.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

People are aware of the reality of drugs. The only people that aren't mustn't leave the house, and then how would they get drugs.

They're aware, and they do them anyway. Dragging up this thread to do a little 'I told you so' dance over it was ****ty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

His family and friends read that thread you tool. You don't do drugs, well done, I don't either, that doesn't give you the right to piss all over a dead man and his family in an attempt to make some uncaring, unthinking retarded point. Wow look at you, you're great. oh and of course it makes a different that we knew him, its personal. You'd understand if you weren't a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I was banned quite rightly for calling him a cúnt and asking for my post and his posts, and all quotes inbetween to be taken down out of respect.

When an admin or an smod sees this thread it will probably be locked or deleted in any case, because those people have respect.

It shows a total lack of class and shows the poster to be completely tactless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Logic1 died last year, and was a well known and popular member of boards. It has emerged recently, public information, that he died of drug abuse. I posted this info, with a link to the independant website, that detailed the case.

I was hoping to remind people that drugs, basically, are bad.

I was banned and called a ****.

Ohh man thats low. I'm not surprised you were banned. Still I didnt know the poor guy so its not up to me to judge you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

All seems a bit like Westboro Baptist Church tactics to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Here's a quick way to tell whether posting that was right or wrong, TerrorFirmer:

If you had the opportunity to go back in time, and turn up at his funeral and hand out anti-drug literature, give out about the dangers of drugs etc, basically say 'I told you so' in front of his family and friends, would you do it?

That's not far off what you did today.

I won't back down from this either, I'm not trying to win a ****ing battle. I'm not disrespecting his death either, for those of you implying I'm somehow parading this as a moral victory over drugs I'm not - I talked to logic a few times myself and had a few laughs, great guy - whether or not he did drugs, that's not relevant.

What is relevant that he died, and he died from avoidable causes - people can learn from this mistake. Again, that's where many foundations and charities come from. Don't sweep this under the carpet, people need to know this to avoid falling into similar situations or traps.

There were threads on various drug related threads here all the time, and I won't pretend one of them didn't happen because we knew him, and some of us knew him on a very personal level - if anything, it's more important, because it makes people realize that this ridiculous notion of drugs users 'deserving' what they get is ridiculous - drug use is so common in Ireland, it's every walk of life rife with them.

People need to know, take warning, and in a situation like this where people can relate a little better, it makes all the difference.

Don't make this personal, because it's about so much more then the individual in question, it's about warning, and subsequently helping others.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It was a condolences thread for a boardsie. You should have had enough cop on to keep your soapboxing anti-drug crap out of it.

Really, time and place. Who gives a **** if he took drugs or not, that thread should have been left alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Katy French was a public figure and a role model and hence her death was subject to public discussion/speculation.

This is a completely different kettle of fish. You cannot use the tragic death of a private man for you own vendetta. Just because it was noted in the papers he died of misadventure does not give you the right to drag his name through the mud. Your causing unnessary grief to his family and friends. Undefensible, in fairness

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I don't think there was anything wrong with posting the link, but the moralising that accompanied it was a little ill-judged imo. I get that your intentions weren't disrespectful but you should have known that people would react badly to it.

That said, getting banned over it seems pretty darn harsh. Deleting the relevant posts would have sufficed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

You should really just drop it terrorfirmer before it gets any worse. I know what you are trying to say, but its so the wrong way to go about it.

• Advertisement

FruitLover wrote: »
    Here's a quick way to tell whether posting that was right or wrong, TerrorFirmer:

If you had the opportunity to go back in time, and turn up at his funeral and hand out anti-drug literature, give out about the dangers of drugs etc, basically say 'I told you so' in front of his family and friends, would you do it?

That's not far off what you did today.

If someone in your family died from an avoidable cause, would you hope to persuade others to avoid the same situation or pretend it didn't happen?

You're looking at this from the wrong viewpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Get this through your head you retard, its not your choice to hold him up as an example to all about the dangers of anything, its his families. He wasn't in the public eye or a role model to anyone. You're just taking advantage of a situation to preach your own morality. I don't know why I'm talking to someone too stupid to see the distinctions here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Kavinsky

Maybe start a new thread?

To the mods: I didn't realise that was a condolences thread, feel free to delete my post about lignocaine - it's the very last post on the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

If someone in your family died from an avoidable cause, would you hope to persuade others to avoid the same situation or pretend it didn't happen?

Not your family though is it. Therefore, not your choice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Yes but there is a time and ****ing place for that kind of thing and a memorial thread is not one of them! Have a bit of cop on next time you hit the reply button for christ sake.

R0ot wrote: »
    Yes but there is a time and ****ing place for that kind of thing and a memorial thread is not one of them! Have a bit of cop on next time you hit the reply button for christ sake.

I will admit actually that was actually a bad call, I realize now I should have posted in one of the ongoing drug threads - I apologies for that, that was a genuine mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Certainly seems to be an over-the-top banning. Princess Snickers could have deleted the comments and told TerrorFirmer not to post again in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I won't back down from this either, I'm not trying to win a ****ing battle. I'm not disrespecting his death either, for those of you implying I'm somehow parading this as a moral victory over drugs I'm not - I talked to logic a few times myself and had a few laughs, great guy - whether or not he did drugs, that's not relevant.

What is relevant that he died, and he died from avoidable causes - people can learn from this mistake. Again, that's where many foundations and charities come from. Don't sweep this under the carpet, people need to know this to avoid falling into similar situations or traps.

There were threads on various drug related threads here all the time, and I won't pretend one of them didn't happen because we knew him, and some of us knew him on a very personal level - if anything, it's more important, because it makes people realize that this ridiculous notion of drugs users 'deserving' what they get is ridiculous - drug use is so common in Ireland, it's every walk of life rife with them.

People need to know, take warning, and in a situation like this where people can relate a little better, it makes all the difference.

Don't make this personal, because it's about so much more then the individual in question, it's about warning, and subsequently helping others.
    Do you honestly believe that people are clueless about the risks of taking drugs? Did you seriously believe your post was going to wake everyone up? Even if you were sincere and well-meaning in what you said, it was a colossally insensitive mistake to make. Banging on about Katie French is irrelevant as well - they guy you were talking about was a friend to many people here and you had to know it would be taken personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I will admit actually that was actually a bad call, I realize now I should have posted in one of the ongoing drug threads - I apologies for that, that was a genuine mistake.

Dragging it down to such a personal level in any thread is likely to get people's backs up, but posting it in a thread that's a dedication to the memory of a poster...the thread's like a tombstone - your posting is akin to pissing on it.
    Thank you for understanding, but sadly the damage is done. The thread is locked now. Would you agree to the posts being deleted as so many others would like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Posted about a dead boards member in a drugs thread just to highlight something as inane as "look Drugs can kill you!"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement