Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from After Hours

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Karoma wrote: »
    Thank you for understanding, but sadly the damage is done. The thread is locked now. Would you agree to the posts being deleted as so many others would like?

Not to appear to be "back seat modding" but i dont really think his permission should be necessary in a case like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

What is relevant that he died, and he died from avoidable causes - people can learn from this mistake.

This is getting to be a tangential discussion, but for every one person that dies from cocaine abuse, thousands enjoy it and live. Alcohol and dangerous driving are far bigger killers than cocaine, but I don't see you campaigning about these for some reason.
    If someone in your family died from an avoidable cause, would you hope to persuade others to avoid the same situation or pretend it didn't happen?

a) I don't tell adults what to do with their lives. It's not my place, and it's not yours
    b) If I did, I sure as hell would not pick a memorial as a vehicle for it. That's indefensibly tasteless

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Certainly seems to be an over-the-top banning. Princess Snickers could have deleted the comments and told TerrorFirmer not to post again in the thread.

I did, but he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

FruitLover wrote: »
    This is getting to be a tangential discussion, but for every one person that dies from cocaine abuse, thousands enjoy it and live. Alcohol and dangerous driving are far bigger killers than cocaine, but I don't see you campaigning about these for some reason.

Perhaps because they aren't anywhere near as dangerous. Perhaps because they are regulated and legal unlike cocaine.
    I did, but he didn't.

I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

nesf wrote: »
    Posted about a dead boards member in a drugs thread just to highlight something as inane as "look Drugs can kill you!"?

Look nesf, if 2000 people called me a ****, and even a single person said 'Actually, ****, I'm not going to try what I was thinking of trying' then it's worth it.

We both know that stories about individuals from around the country, and stories of a personally known individual dying strike different chords - yes, some bad, inevitably, and are far more effective in relaying messages.

Whatever way you want to look at it, this isn't a simple 'No to drugs' message, it's using a medium that actually speaks to people in a far more effective way then an unknown case does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I will admit actually that was actually a bad call, I realize now I should have posted in one of the ongoing drug threads - I apologies for that, that was a genuine mistake.

Sorry mate but mistakes are stuff like stubbing your toe or installing windows ME, not posting about 'how drugs are bad m'kay' in a memorial thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Listen, I'm the AH mod who usually waffles on about the dangers of drugs. However, your post was completely uncalled for.
    There was no conclusive proof that his death was caused by illegal drugs and the paper in question, in my opinion, was just going for sensationalism with that headline.

As for the comparison with Katy French, she was a public figure, the papers always over-react and the Celeb and Showbiz mod (Stargal) had to put up with a lot of crap during that time and deleted lots of nasty posts in that forum.

As for Boston and FuzzyLogic, your posts were also uncalled for.
    There were three mods looking at that thread and we were dealing with the situation.
    All three of you were rightly banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Look nesf, if 2000 people called me a ****, and even a single person said 'Actually, ****, I'm not going to try what I was thinking of trying' then it's worth it.

Saving the world one dumb post at a time are we? You can get across the drugs kill message without dragging in the memory of a guy who used to post here. It's unnecessary and more importantly disrespectful and hurtful to both his friends and family who post on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Perhaps because they aren't anywhere near as dangerous.

I'm willing to bet that drinking, smoking and dangerous driving kill more people per year than taking cocaine. And you say they're not anywhere near as dangerous?
    Perhaps because they are regulated and legal unlike cocaine.

What's more important: whether something is regulated and legal, or whether it kills people?

Fair enough (not that I believe that's realistic), but you shouldn't have written the message in our friend's ashes.

I'm willing to bet that drinking, smoking and driving kill more people per year than taking cocaine. And you say they're not anywhere near as dangerous?

What's more important: whether something is regulated and legal, or whether it kills people?

God but you're speaking a load of claptrap. If you want we can debate this but after the comments above you're not exactly off to a flying start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

It must be great be be so self righteous, it pretty much excuses any reprehensible behavior.
    Terry wrote: »
    As for Boston and FuzzyLogic, your posts were also uncalled for.
    There were three mods looking at that thread and we were dealing with the situation.
    All three of you were rightly banned.

You made a decision to allow the post to stand, your opinions means about zero to me. I really couldn't care about being banned from a forum and I'd post it again even if it meant being site banned.

nesf wrote: »
    Saving the world one dumb post at a time are we? You can get across the drugs kill message without dragging in the memory of a guy who used to post here. It's unnecessary and more importantly disrespectful and hurtful to both his friends and family who post on here.

A) Someone tell yous 'You know, people die from drugs'.

B) Someone tells you 'Your friend died from drugs'.

Which is a little more effective in communicating the dangers of drugs to you?

Boston, your opinion never meant anything to me, your only consistent trait is resorting to snide, elementary and childish insults/snipes when something or someone disagrees with your viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I would tell that person to STFU and that i could make my own decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

A) Someone tell yous 'You know, people die from drugs'.

B) Someone tells you 'Your friend died from drugs'.

Which is a little more effective in communicating the dangers of drugs to you?

Honestly, if you came up to me after one of my friends died and told me that, I'd communicate the dangers of self-righteous soapboxing to you.

I'm willing to bet that drinking, smoking and dangerous driving kill more people per year than taking cocaine. And you say they're not anywhere near as dangerous?
    Numbers.
    Boston wrote: »
    You made a decision to allow the post to stand, your opinions means about zero to me. I really couldn't care about being banned from a forum and I'd post it again even if it meant being site banned.

I asked for proof.
    As soon as I saw the so-called proof, I decried it.
    I'd apologise for my modding decisions not being up to your standard, but I wouldn't really mean it.

I also would like to apologies profusely for posting in the particular thread I did - I wasn't thinking that one through, but for me this isn't a personal battle, I have no problem dropping on my knees and screaming my being wrong for all to hear - it's not about being right and wrong, appropriate or inappropriate, it's about conveying a message to those that use a situation like this to actually listen rather then treat it as yet another generic, faceless death instead of a tragedy. We're all guilty of that at times.

So I'm sorry for that, it was an insult to his friends, family and to the person himself - a great person by all accounts and I would like to reiterate that I have no ill feeling towards the person in question or anyone in a similar situation, I merely hope that others can learn from the sad mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

The offending posts were there about 15 mins ago, now they're gone, I assume its all taken care of.

I would expect Terrorfirmer has learned his lesson, a little less of the snipey comments would make for more pleasant reading. Issue resolved?

I'm directly calling you a cnut. Theres no snide comment or retort, its as clear as I can make it. You're like those people who traumatise children with images of aborted fetuses and say "Its ok If it stops one abortion".

You're like those people who traumatise children with images of aborted feces and say "Its ok If it stops one abortion".

I didn't know you could abort faeces. I usually let them go full-term before I let them out.

I'm directly calling you a cnut. Theres no snide comment or retort, its as clear as I can make it. You're like those people who traumatise children with images of aborted feces and say "Its ok If it stops one abortion".

God you're an awful eejit.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I aborted some feces earlier. Wouldn't recommend it tbh.

I'm directly calling you a cnut. Theres no snide comment or retort, its as clear as I can make it. You're like those people who traumatise children with images of aborted fetuses and say "Its ok If it stops one abortion".

Another fantastic analogy from the mind of a man crippled by anger issues. Sort of like that time you disagreed with me and out of no-where mentioned my girlfriend in a pathetic attempt to get a last, bitter comment in? At least this time it's actually relating solely to me, good man.

Terry; You where wrong to leave the comment there, you know it, I know it.
    God

No, but I can see how you would make that mistake.
    Another fantastic analogy from the mind of a man crippled by anger issues. Sort of like that time you disagreed with me and out of no-where mentioned my girlfriend in a pathetic attempt to get a last, bitter comment in? At least this time it's actually relating solely to me, good man.

Anger issues? Any decent human would be pissed at you right now. Also I'm not the one who threatened to attack a moderator.

Phlann wrote: »
    I aborted some feces earlier. Wouldn't recommend it tbh.

Lay off the curry :pac:

Terry; You where wrong to leave the comment there, you know it, I know it.
    No, i wasn't.

No, but I can see how you would make that mistake.

Delusional and mis-quoting me. Quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

TBH I dont think this ban was justified. Sometimes emotions get in the way of clear and reasoned thought. The sudden death of Logic1 is of course horrible and sad but why let that cloud a potential message that does exist regarding the use of drugs? If someone on drugs dies then I think it only right to use as an example to others because this is very effective for the argument against drugs. Emotion is understandable but sometimes there is too much and it can cloud our judgement. Dont get me wrong - Im shocked by this but there is an underlying message. How otherwise healthy fit young men choose this is of grave concern to us all - god forbid - it is one of our family members or indeed us.

Anger issues? Any decent human would be pissed at you right now. Also I'm not the one who threatened to attack a moderator.

Well done, just proving my point. Boston isn't happy unless he can utilize any example necessary, regardless of how relevant, to grasp a pseudo victory.

darkman2 wrote: »
    TBH I dont think this ban was justified. Sometimes emotions get in the way of clear and reasoned thought. The sudden death of Logic1 is of course horrible and sad but why let that cloud a potential message that does exist regarding the use of drugs? If someone on drugs dies then I think it only right to use as an example to others because this is very effective for the argument against drugs. Emotion is understandable but sometimes there is too much and it can cloud our judgement.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Terrorfirmer was wrong to post it in a condolences thread.

Mods were wrong to close the thread, rather than just delete the offending posts (something about, how we react when at our worst type of thing? I just don't think the condolence thread should be locked for someone who has died).

I was probably wrong for not checking feedback in the few seconds after the original post was closed (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055347451).

However, we should

a) be able to have a condolence thread that doesn't need to be locked

b) be able to have a discussion thread on how he died, or at the very least be able to debate the independent article, as hard as that might be

or boards.ie might as well pack up and go home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement