Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

nct for imported vehicles only for one year!!!

Options
  • 01-08-2008 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hello,

My mx-3 has just passed nct but my joy is lessen by the fact that I got nct only for 8 month, my next test is due in March 2009. My vehicle was firstly registered in UK in March 1996. According to the nct tester, for the imported cars they give only max 12 months nct while for Irish ones max 24 months. It only applies when the car is due for 1st nct. In march 09 if my car pass, I will get nct for two years.

I wonder is it legal? How can they make different rules for cars from Ireland and for cars from different EU countries. We live in EU at the end :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Yeah this is standard procedure. I dont see why you are annoyed about it though? Your car should be kept in working order anyway, so when the nct comes around again it should fly through it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 tytlak

how come it is standard to have 12 months on import eu cars and 24 months on Irish cars? what's the difference between English, Northern Irish and Irish car? I can't see one apart from price.

they should make 12 or 24 months for everybody. that is not fair.

and 50 euro is a bit of money at the end, would prefer to spend it on nct in 2010 not 2009

ps I have no doubts it will fly through nct but hate the hassle with arranging it, had to go to naas for my test cause dublin was fully booked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kevae86

the test i dated from when the car is 1st registered as stated on the log book. in your case march 96 so in march 09 you will get the 2 full years. no laws bein broke there thats just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I dont think this has anything to do with it being imported. If for example it was an irish car exactly the same age as yours which has let its nct run out for the last year & 4 months, then when tested, it would only last for 8 months.
    So basically, the test always falls due on the date of first registration and I think in 2 year blocks so if you imported the car a year ago you would have got a valid test for 1 year & 8 months. I think this is how it works

it is 4 years since the day car was manufactured so 1st nct was due on march 2000 , 02, 04, 06, 08 and 2010

can't see why 09!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Maybe its due at 3 years therefore 99,01,03,05,07,09 ?

i am very sure 1st nct is due after 4 years however 1st mot is due after 3 years in UK

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

tytlak wrote: »
    Hello,

My mx-3 has just passed nct but my joy is lessen by the fact that I got nct only for 8 month, my next test is due in March 2009. My vehicle was firstly registered in UK in March 1996. According to the nct tester, for the imported cars they give only max 12 months nct while for Irish ones max 24 months. It only applies when the car is due for 1st nct. In march 09 if my car pass, I will get nct for two years.

I wonder is it legal? How can they make different rules for cars from Ireland and for cars from different EU countries. We live in EU at the end :mad:

That can't be right ...I got 18 months on my import last year. Not 24, because of the date of first registration ,but more than 12 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭1275gt

Hello,

hey i feel your pain dude. i got a 4 month NCT, which i passed, then 4months later failed on worn shocks and the car hadn't driven 100 miles. go figure.

from nct website:

What cars must be tested and how often?

Testing was introduced on a phased basis as follows:
    • Year 2000: Cars first registered before 1 January 1992
    • Year 2001: Cars first registered between 1992-1996
    • Year 2002 onwards: All four year old cars and eligible older cars i.e pre 92 registered cars tested in the year 2000 will be eligible for testing again in year 2002 because testing is every two years.
    Test Certificates will be valid for up to 2 years (from the date the test is due to the registration anniversary date two years later).

I go it now, for cars 1992-1996 year zero is 2001 and every two years thereafter. But why the tester didnt say that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Sisters car was exaclty out of NCT two years(do not ask), i thought they would make her do it twice(or something along that line) but they gave her the two years NCT. I can imagine if it was out 22 months etc. they would have only gievn 2 months etc. Lesson to be learned.

As for the OP, it's definitly got something to do with the Registration date.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

from nct website:

What cars must be tested and how often?

Testing was introduced on a phased basis as follows:
    • Year 2000: Cars first registered before 1 January 1992
    • Year 2001: Cars first registered between 1992-1996
    • Year 2002 onwards: All four year old cars and eligible older cars i.e pre 92 registered cars tested in the year 2000 will be eligible for testing again in year 2002 because testing is every two years.
    Test Certificates will be valid for up to 2 years (from the date the test is due to the registration anniversary date two years later).

I go it now, for cars 1992-1996 year zero is 2001 and every two years thereafter. But why the tester didnt say that?

So your clear on it now?

At last they didn't mess up the date on yours, mine was out by four months, I mean they had it expiring 4 months before it was suppose to. My mechanic brought the car in so I didn't see that it was wrong 'til the car came home. They had the wrong initial registration date for some reason. I eventually got it sorted after a few calls. It was frustrating though as I was putting it up for sale but to my surprise I had a corrected disc within a few days.

Anyway if your car needs a test in a few months its no harm - your car will be all the better for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Hello,

You'be been given the wrong info by the NCT. Imports and normal cars are not treated differently in any way. Your NCT is valid from 24 months from the date of first registration (not the first registration in Ireland.) When you do your next NCT in 8 months time, it will be valid for 2 years and will blow away the myth you have been told.. The same thing would happen if you had an Irish car and let your NCT test go 16 months overdue, when you eventually got around to doing it, it would only be valid for 8 months... I've a customer who let it go 22 months overdue, we got it done for him and he had to do it again 2 months later... That's the way it works unfortunately...

Advertisement