Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with a poster.

Options
  • 01-08-2008 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

I am doing some work on a poster for a local charity called the Lions Club at the moment, the poster has come so far but now I'm a bit stuck and would appreciate anyone taking the time to modify it, improve it or even just supply some suggestions. Here is the poster as it stands:

The gazelle will be holding up a mugshot board with contact details on it, but I need to put the lions club logo in there somewhere as well. Any help on this much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SligoToday

I like what you've got so far what is the exact brief ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Thanks for the reply, the brief is: To raise awareness of what the Lions Club are about and encourage CIT students to get involved in the Lions Club by attending society meetings to see what they can do to 'make a difference'.

I have been working on this during lunch breaks at work as well and so far I have the gazelle holding a mugshot type board which shows contact details for the Lions club to add to the humour. At the moment I'm stuck for the typography (as you can see) and I am working on short punchy taglines:

Wouldn't you rather be a lion?
    What's it all about then, the lions club?
    Do you think you could be a lion?
    Do you think that you could be a lion?
    You have to be a Lion to make a difference.
    Become a Lion and make a difference.
    Be one of the Lions, lions club find out what it's all about.

Plus I have to work the Lions club logo in there as well: Any help / suggestions on this is much appreciated.

What do ye think so far? Still a work in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

playing around with the poster, doubt it will come to much, liked this image...

clubwlionlogo.jpg

playing around with the poster, doubt it will come to much, liked this image...

clubwlionlogo.jpg

Interesting, I liked the idea of lions + 'lionesses', I never thought of that, thankyou. The logo is so old fashioned though pretty hard to work it into the poster, thanks so much for your time on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

In terms of the logo don't worry about fitting it in too much. The poster idea itself will draw people in. You could just put the logo at the bottom with any needed details (phone email etc.). Just a suggestion.

Also you say the gazelle will be holding a board. Where do you see it holding it? Below the current image?

• Advertisement

cosgrove80 wrote: »
    In terms of the logo don't worry about fitting it in too much. The poster idea itself will draw people in. You could just put the logo at the bottom with any needed details (phone email etc.). Just a suggestion.

Also you say the gazelle will be holding a board. Where do you see it holding it? Below the current image?
    Well originally I thought of having the gazelle holding it, but it would interfere with the lower banner that you included there. But I have to say your banner does a whole lot more. It looks great and is prominent enough in it's own right which the client wants for the logo.

Also... brilliant tagline that is absolutely spot on! What font are you using there?

Thanks so much for your help on this, it is looking great at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SligoToday

I like the bottom banner, the only thing I would change would be to take the tag line up and make more prominent

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

What font are you using there?
    I think it was a variation of Hevetica Neue. Thin Italic I think (it was late)

Also, a good idea before you decide on the placement of all the elements, is to write down all the content that needs to be on the poster.

Logos
    Tag line
    contact details
    meeting details if required
    a bit about the Lion Club (tbh I'd no idea what it was) and what you hope to achieve etc.

Then decided which elements are the most important i.e. which will be the most prominent and design the poster around that. For example in your current layout the majority of text content will be in the top half based on the illustration.

At the most basic level a poster needs to do two things:

1.Grab attention and make the viewer want to read it
    2.Provide critical information.

Sorry if this post comes across as patronising, just offering advice which you are free to ignore :)

Aye I agree with you, tis my first poster so lessons are going to be learned on this one. Cheers.

SligoToday wrote: »
    I like the bottom banner, the only thing I would change would be to take the tag line up and make more prominent

Hmmm you have a point but I feel that the 'CIT Lions Club should have prominence with the 'lets make it a roaring success as a tagline. I should have put that up as well i.e. planned it more carefully as suggested above, thanks for the feedback.

The illustrator is working on colouring / texturing the animals so it should look much more finished soon. I'll put up updates for ye're constructive critisism as they come up. Thanks so much for help so far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement